Thin Sound When Shutting Front Doors

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
It sounds like 2019 were solid, then half of the 2020's were crap, and 2021 solid again. I'm guessing Covid related and rushed assembly when they were allowed.
Perhaps. Hopefully you & others will get yours resolved. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
Perhaps. Hopefully you & others will get yours resolved. :)
Thanks! I suspect it will require me tearing the door apart and fixing, but one way or another, I'll get it sorted out :)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks! I suspect it will require me tearing the door apart and fixing, but one way or another, I'll get it sorted out :)
If you folks would open and then close the doors on a test drive... instead of going all Bo & Luke Duke, you'd notice these things. :fingerscrossed:

On a serious note: Did you order the truck and not drive that year / configuration before buying yours? If that's the case, then I can envision how you ended up in this situation.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
If you folks would open and then close the doors on a test drive... instead of going all Bo & Luke Duke, you'd notice these things. :fingerscrossed:

On a serious note: Did you order the truck and not drive that year / configuration before buying yours? If that the case I can envision how you ended up in this situation.
It's kind of odd how I got this one. I test drove a similar model at a dealership and the door sounded totally fine, and then this one popped up with more features at a different dealership. I figured since I'd test drove one 2020, this one was gonna be the same. I spent more time negotiating than looking at the truck.

Some of you may say it's my fault for not noticing, but I would disagree. To me, seems like a 2020 is a 2020 and they all should have been assembled the same, onus should not be on the consumer to ensure QA.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's kind of odd how I got this one. I test drove a similar model at a dealership and the door sounded totally fine, and then this one popped up with more features at a different dealership. I figured since I'd test drove one 2020, this one was gonna be the same. I spent more time negotiating than looking at the truck.

Some of you may say it's my fault for not noticing, but I would disagree. To me, seems like a 2020 is a 2020 and they all should have been assembled the same, onus should not be on the consumer to ensure QA.
I'm not saying it's your fault at all. Ford has done some crazy stuff on the Ranger assembly line. No door seam sealer on some trucks, 6 vs 4 bed tie downs, glove box dampers on some trucks and not others, Ecoboost emblems now you see 'em now you don't, rear headrests might be adjustable, different headrest covers.. and the list goes on.

When we bought our 2019 I assumed every Ranger, within a given body style and trim level would be the same.

I guess the lesson for myself, and any future buyers, is to check out the particular truck you want to buy with a fine tooth comb and don't assume anything.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying it's your fault at all.

I guess the lesson for myself, and any future buyers, is to check out the particular truck you want to buy with a fine tooth comb and don't assume anything.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to imply you were saying that at all. More of a generic statement but definitely not directed at you. I apologize if you read it that way.

I'm actually not that upset really, just disappointed that I have to deal with this. I'm pretty handy, but as a small business owner, I don't have time to make it correct until fall really when things slow down.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Funny, I was just thinking about the cheap slamming doors lately. 2020 Supercrew lariat. My Ridgeline had a much more solid tone when closing door.

Jeff Barnett

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I just picked up a 2020 Lariat Quad Cab, and the front two doors sound like I'm hitting an empty oil drum when shutting them. It's a terrible sound and I'm really surprised at how crappy and cheap it makes the pickup seem. I paid $42k for this thing, and it sounds like a freaking Yugo.

I know I can add sound deadening such as https://tinyurl.com/yhelscny, but it seems f'n ridiculous that I would have to pay to do this and spend the time to rip the door apart. Feels like this is something that Ford missed on assembly as the rear doors don't sound like this.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Take it back to the dealer? Or will they just tell me to kick rocks?

Jay

PS - I know that the sound of the doors is typically tuned and has no benefit other than making you feel like you have something of quality.
Mine does also. Very cheap build quality

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
My 2020 scab doors feel very heavy and very solid...much more so than my previous Tacoma...strange others are opposite???
Lean against crew cab rear door when filling up to see how thin. Carefully.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Mine was built in November/20. The doors actually close very well. They don't need much effort and close completely which indicates a good balance. I worked in a GM assembly plant for 35 years and I have opened and closed more than my share of doors and these are good.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Mine was built in November/20. The doors actually close very well. They don't need much effort and close completely which indicates a good balance. I worked in a GM assembly plant for 35 years and I have opened and closed more than my share of doors and these are good.
Yeah, my comment is not about the quality of the doors as they shut, but more the "tooonggg" sound when they close. Literally like hitting an empty oil drum. It makes them sound cheap and reflects poorly on the vehicle.

Again, not knocking the quality or craftsmanship of the doors. Just that Ford cheaped out and skipped on sound deadening on my Lariat.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Lean against crew cab rear door when filling up to see how thin. Carefully.
"Don't you lean on my ride! You must be some kind of fool to lean on my ride!"

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
"Don't you lean on my ride! You must be some kind of fool to lean on my ride!"
Ouch.
On a cold windy night it is a light lean to get out of the wind.
Does not take much contact as the lower rear door is a little flexible.
I don't hug it.

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
I just picked up a 2020 Lariat Quad Cab, and the front two doors sound like I'm hitting an empty oil drum when shutting them. It's a terrible sound and I'm really surprised at how crappy and cheap it makes the pickup seem. I paid $42k for this thing, and it sounds like a freaking Yugo.

I know I can add sound deadening such as https://tinyurl.com/yhelscny, but it seems f'n ridiculous that I would have to pay to do this and spend the time to rip the door apart. Feels like this is something that Ford missed on assembly as the rear doors don't sound like this.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Take it back to the dealer? Or will they just tell me to kick rocks?

Jay

PS - I know that the sound of the doors is typically tuned and has no benefit other than making you feel like you have something of quality.
Yes yes and YES! I noticed that immediately. And my first thought was that it sounds like a tin can!

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beekeeper
Yes yes and YES! I noticed that immediately. And my first thought was that it sounds like a tin can!
I plan on ripping the doors apart this summer and adding sound deadening, but just silly I need to do that.
Sponsored