First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I was running the 91-93 performance tune for the longest time. Then I had read one of your posts about how much you liked the soft shift and decided to try that one and like it a lot more. The 1st-2nd gear shifts are so much smoother and you don't seem to sacrifice any power. I would think long term this would be better for the transmission too.
Actually, from what I understand firm shifts are better on the transmission, because there is less wear on the clutch. This is of course assuming the firm shift doesn't damage any of the hard parts during the shift, which it shouldn't.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Wheel Update: Custom Offsets has been very responsive and is making every attempt to make the wheel exchange process as painless as possible. So far so good and kudos to their customer service.

On a completely different subject, I picked up a lightly used Livernois My Calibrator tuner from OfferUp. Called Livernois and the transferred to serial number to me. Saved about $200 overall. So once the suspension, wheels, and tires are on I’ll tune the truck to get some of those mpg’s back. Anybody have their tune on your Ranger? How do you like it?

9C7ABEDE-9201-4A24-BCFE-9F4E00EDDDF0.jpeg
Awesome, that was a good surprise mod. Wasn’t aware you were going to do power mods. I have the FP tune, some say livernois helped with it or whatever. I don’t care enough to really find out if it is or not but the majority of happy tuners are with Livernois, FP tune and Unleashed. Livernois and FP being safer power draw and Unleashed, well you get the name. Do you have intake/exhaust/intercooler pipe kit in the thoughts?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Actually, from what I understand firm shifts are better on the transmission, because there is less wear on the clutch. This is of course assuming the firm shift doesn't damage any of the hard parts during the shift, which it shouldn't.
I have no idea and you may be right but that 1st-2nd gear shift was very hard. It seems like if it was normal that even in stock form it would be that way? I'm just basing it on logic not facts and seat of the pants feel which just didn't seem right. ?‍♂

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have no idea and you may be right but that 1st-2nd gear shift was very hard. It seems like if it was normal that even in stock form it would be that way? I'm just basing it on logic not facts and seat of the pants feel which just didn't seem right. ?‍♂
Ya, common sense would seem to say soft shifts are better. But in order to make the shift softer, the transmission has to use the clutch more, which is why a firm shift is less wear on the transmission.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
I've had mine since August of 2020 and love it! I've tried the tow tune and both 91-93 tunes and like the 91-93 soft shift one the most. Shift are nice and smooth and the power is right there when you step on it. Their customer service is A+ too.
Im glad to hear about the soft shift. That’s the tune I was most interested in. Figure it delivers slightly reduced output but I’m okay with that. We’ll see which I end up going with.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Awesome, that was a good surprise mod. Wasn’t aware you were going to do power mods. I have the FP tune, some say livernois helped with it or whatever. I don’t care enough to really find out if it is or not but the majority of happy tuners are with Livernois, FP tune and Unleashed. Livernois and FP being safer power draw and Unleashed, well you get the name. Do you have intake/exhaust/intercooler pipe kit in the thoughts?
I had a tune on my list, it just wasn’t a immediate priority. So when I saw it on OfferUp for $150, I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t know about the Livernois helping to develop FP. That’s pretty cool. No plans to do anything else aside from a cat back exhaust, more so for looks and sound than performance really. I satisfy my zipping around and major performance mods with my manual GXP:rockon:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Im glad to hear about the soft shift. That’s the tune I was most interested in. Figure it delivers slightly reduced output but I’m okay with that. We’ll see which I end up going with.
You're going to be really surprised how much this wakes up this 4 cyl and it's really hard to drive it tame now. I've never owned a turbo before soft me it was a pleasant surprise. ? When you flash one I would leave it in for at least 2-3 tanks of gas. It will give it a chance to "learn" so to speak. I know some really like the tow tune for their DD but I just didn't care for it. I figured I really got this for the performance why not run that tune. For my driving style this one has worked out the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ya, common sense would seem to say soft shifts are better. But in order to make the shift softer, the transmission has to use the clutch more, which is why a firm shift is less wear on the transmission.
Thats an interesting almost counterintuitive thought. But makes sense.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Stacey, another good thing is that you can recalibrate (spedo) for larger tire size with the tuner box too.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stacey, another good thing is that you can recalibrate (spedo) for larger tire size with the tuner box too.
Definitely going to need that! My setup will only be about an inch taller than what I have now but it’ll be good to calibrate.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I had a tune on my list, it just wasn’t a immediate priority. So when I saw it on OfferUp for $150, I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t know about the Livernois helping to develop FP. That’s pretty cool. No plans to do anything else aside from a cat back exhaust, more so for looks and sound than performance really. I satisfy my zipping around and major performance mods with my manual GXP:rockon:
If you go exhaust, you might as well go the last 30% and get a mishimoto intake or of the sort, that way you have great airflow from front to back. 50% of my sound comes from the exhaust at 4500+ rpms and 50% of my sound comes from my intake at 3500+ rpms. So full WOT the exhaust comes alive late but the intake gives the preemptive roar to the max roar. Doesn’t hurt to have two fun toys ;) I think you’ll change your mind after you load the tune if I haven’t already :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Added a small touch, "Raptor" lights from Custom Auto Works, while I wait for the wheel issue to be resolved. Super easy install. Also plan on installing the suspension that’s been sitting in my garage for a month.

B808352D-96AD-4426-B744-E9FFD556D4C5.jpeg

Last edited:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Added a small touch from Custom Auto Works while I wait for the wheel issue to be resolved. Super easy install. Also plan on installing the suspension that’s been sitting in my garage for a month.

B808352D-96AD-4426-B744-E9FFD556D4C5.jpeg
Beautiful front end of the truck, the amber lights look good. Do you plan on having a shop do the suspension or you going to install yourself? I have been thinking about getting my front suspension installed and doing my rear shocks myself. Although it is quite costly, so if you know a good trusted cheap shop let me know :)
Sponsored