SYNC update

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Now Software Updates Disabled has disappeared from my Ford.com Dashboard. But I still have the SYNC update listed even though I already updated it via USB. I asked my doctor, who drives a Tesla Model S, if if has ever had an update problem with his car. He said not that he remembers in the three years he has owned it. Are the Tesla software engineers that much smarter than Ford's?
No traditional auto manufacturer has ever managed to get consumer electronics right.
Sponsored

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
After seeing your post Robert, I checked the SYNC Build in the truck. It showed Build 22251 and that it was up to date. I then logged onto Ford's website. The website says my truck is up to date with Build 23088. So confused....
Well, I read this thread, and you guys made me look!
I found the same as Radioman; Truck says 3.4.22251, Website says 3.4.23088.
(AND the site doesn't give me any way to download 23088 to a USB, to update truck manually)
So, I'm adopting the attitude of others - if it ain't broke... worry about something else.
But daymn, Ford really ought to try to fix their update process. :facepalm:

Old Norm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired
(AND the site doesn't give me any way to download 23088 to a USB, to update truck manually)
So, I'm adopting the attitude of others - if it ain't broke... worry about something else.
Do you have Navigation? If you don't have NAV you can only update to 3.4.22251. The 3.4.23088 update has the navigation files included. Here's the info directly from the upgrade autoinstall.lst file: ; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.4.22251 - Only for NonNav/NonEU assemblies.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Over on the CyanLabs forum there has been quite a discussion on 3.4.23088. it is bit for bit identical to 3.4.22251 and after it is installed it still says it is 3.4.22251.

General consensus is it is a screw up on Fords part and there is no 3.4.23088. CyanLabs is going to wait and see if Ford releases a real 3.4.23088 before they make it available.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Over on the CyanLabs forum there has been quite a discussion on 3.4.23088. it is bit for bit identical to 3.4.22251 and after it is installed it still says it is 3.4.22251.

General consensus is it is a screw up on Fords part and there is no 3.4.23088. CyanLabs is going to wait and see if Ford releases a real 3.4.23088 before they make it available.
Thanks for the explanation Dave.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

Yes, also thanks for the info.
It's good to hear that the Ford website's version vs. my truck's version shouldn't be a concern right now.
Hopefully, SOMEDAY, Ford will figure out how to do all this update stuff, without confusing us costumers.
Thanks again.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yes, also thanks for the info.
It's good to hear that the Ford website's version vs. my truck's version shouldn't be a concern right now.
Hopefully, SOMEDAY, Ford will figure out how to do all this update stuff, without confusing us costumers.
Thanks again.
The number one way to avoid confusion is to just never look at any of this ever again. There's basically zero chance that ford will add any noticeable functionality to these sync units, and very little chance of bug fixes. So why obsess over the sync version?

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The number one way to avoid confusion is to just never look at any of this ever again. There's basically zero chance that ford will add any noticeable functionality to these sync units, and very little chance of bug fixes. So why obsess over the sync version?
Good point.
But, I do like to do what I can, to keep my $40,000 truck up to date.
It's just that they don't make it easy. :confused:

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
The Sync update number has been changed to 3.4.22251 on my Dashboard on Ford.com. The previous update 3.4.23088 is gone.
Ford (SYNC) customer service called me today regarding my ESN issues & to verify that the problem had been corrected. While I had him on the phone I asked about the SYNC version 3.4.23088 disappearing from the web page. He said someone jumped the gun on the web page and that 3.4.22251 is the most up to date SYNC version and NA 2-21 is the most current navigation software.

Last edited:

Old Norm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Ford (SYNC) customer service called me today regarding my ESN issues & to verify that the problem had been corrected. While I had him on the phone I asked about the SYNC version 3.4.23088 disappearing from the web page. He said someone jumped the gun and that 3.4.22251 is the most up to date SYNC version and NA 2-21 is the most current navigation software.
I've installed 3.4.22251 several times via usb and never get the XML file. Do you suppose their programmers are still using Basic? :wink:

Old Norm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I just updated to SYNC version 3.4.23088 (no navigation) via usb, using Syn3 Updater. It updated and even changed the status of my vehicle on the Ford.com site to updated. I didn't need to upload an XML file (which wasn't created BTW).

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
After weeks waiting for a APIM that did not fix the truck, (the 2nd one) the tech finally re-updatad it with Ford tech support help and now it is functional, the comment was "Ford is having problems with the latest update"

The back counter guy said they have so many audio problems, he orders APIM's every week for many different models, he blames AER the audio vendor for Ford, I'm wondering if it's the tech that's the problem.

Old Norm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired
After weeks waiting for a APIM that did not fix the truck, (the 2nd one) the tech finally re-updatad it with Ford tech support help and now it is functional, the comment was "Ford is having problems with the latest update"

The back counter guy said they have so many audio problems, he orders APIM's every week for many different models, he blames AER the audio vendor for Ford, I'm wondering if it's the tech that's the problem.
New technology and undertrained techs seem to go together. I wonder if there will be an ASE certification for software update techs or EV techs in general.

Old Norm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired
New technology and undertrained techs seem to go together. I wonder if there will be an ASE certification for software update techs or EV techs in general.
Looks like there is.
ASE Announces New EV Standards, EV Testing and Certification Program
Sponsored