Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I've got a '22 XL without a touchscreen and I guess I need to do this update. It popped up in my Ford.com account today.

BUT ...

The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle.

Talk about a killer for my 16.6 MPG!

Any one else? Or any good words of advice?
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have a battery charger/maintainer that I connect to my truck when I install sync updates. The main reason to keep the truck running is to not kill the battery. If you have a battery charger/tender, you don't need to keep the truck running...

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I have a battery charger/maintainer that I connect to my truck when I install sync updates. The main reason to keep the truck running is to not kill the battery. If you have a battery charger/tender, you don't need to keep the truck running...
Oh really? Well heck yah, my truck is connected to the CTEK more than it's driven!

So you switch the ignition on and leave it like that during the update?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Oh really? Well heck yah, my truck is connected to the CTEK more than it's driven!

So you switch the ignition on and leave it like that during the update?
Yup. I connect it to my charger, and set it to maintain (it's a dynamic charger that can detect and compensate for a load in real time). Mine truck has a push button start, so I just push the button with my foot off the brake. That turns on all the electronics, but does not start the engine. Good luck!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I've got a '22 XL without a touchscreen and I guess I need to do this update. It popped up in my Ford.com account today.

BUT ...

The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle.

Talk about a killer for my 16.6 MPG!

Any one else? Or any good words of advice?
Hello David
Congrats on your 22 Ranger.
Build 21194 solved many on going issues with SYNC but it is not the latest. The latest Build is 22200. I don't know if your model is equipped to handle the latest but if so, that's what I would do.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Hello David
Congrats on your 22 Ranger.
Build 21194 solved many on going issues with SYNC but it is not the latest. The latest Build is 22200. I don't know if your model is equipped to handle the latest but if so, that's what I would do.
Thanks. Mine is the lowest SYNC there is, so my update is 3.4.21194. I can only listen to the radio and do phone calls, no maps or anything else. This is from Ford with my VIN.

And hooray on the '22, I love the Ranger - such a nice truck with plenty of power and payload for my needs.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Yup. I connect it to my charger, and set it to maintain (it's a dynamic charger that can detect and compensate for a load in real time). Mine truck has a push button start, so I just push the button with my foot off the brake. That turns on all the electronics, but does not start the engine. Good luck!
Thanks on the clarification, I'll just turn the key to the ignition on and go from there, sure is a lot better than having it idle for an hour! Plus Greta would be mad with me! =p

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just out of curiosity which charger do you have?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Thanks on the clarification, I'll just turn the key to the ignition on and go from there, sure is a lot better than having it idle for an hour! Plus Greta would be mad with me! =p
You have to turn off "Automatic Engine Shutdown” in the menu so the truck won't shut off during the update process. (This is true for a Lariat, not sure about a non-Lariat).

Also, I used a 10 amp charger during the process.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
You can drive while updating. I just did mine yesterday. Took about 15 minutes. I don't have NAV, which I guess might take longer though.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I drove for the sync update. Nav took about 2 hours...

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Next time I need a map update I'm going this route...thanks!
It really doesn’t help much. If you leave key on or Sync on it will time out anyway.
Sponsored