David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Bought mine 2/19 and mine is 1 inch lower on left (with the added spacer). I don't remember noticing it till i replaced the rear shocks. My guess is the 2 sides of the truck weigh different and therefore need 2 different spring rates side to side. Ford fail! #sidedroop
Sponsored

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
My deavers actually eliminated my lean. So anyone considering deavers, keep that in mind!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I have this lean as well on my 2020. Driver side of the truck is definitely heavier/not the best weight distribution. I never checked or noticed with the stock leaf springs. I noticed after I installed a full Icon kit. Front coilovers, rear springs and shocks. The softer spring rate of the Icon leafs really brought it out. So I did an experiment and built the driver side leaf pack ever so slightly stiffer than the passenger side and adjusted the driver side coilover collar to apply diagonal pressure/weight to the passenger rear leaf pack. This did the trick pretty well. Still about 1/4" difference but wayyyy better than it was. It was damn near 2 inches before I started experimenting with different settings.
So those of you with a stock setup are stuck with shimming one side. But if you get an adjustable kit of some sort like Icon or Deaver you can manipulate this lean to your liking with trial and error. Or I could walk you through it. Just message me if need be.
Others have done something similar. However, I'm inclined to believe that's not the best idea. You now effectively have different spring rates on each side of your rear-end, and front end as well. I've done suspension work on quite a few vehicles. I've even rolled my own kits a couple of times. Never have I seen a factory or aftermarket setup vary spring rate from side to side.

I haven't seen a lean as drastic as what you're describing though, and realize it was the only solution available. But to me, rolling down the road with 4 different spring rates at all corners of my ride would not be the solution. Did the Icons come marked + and -? If so, did you install the + on the drivers side? I'd throw the factory leafs on real quick to see if the lean is as drastic. If it's not, I'd get ahold of Icon. A 2" difference is NOT normal.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Others have done something similar. However, I'm inclined to believe that's not the best idea. You now effectively have different spring rates on each side of your rear-end, and front end as well. I've done suspension work on quite a few vehicles. I've even rolled my own kits a couple of times. Never have I seen a factory or aftermarket setup vary spring rate from side to side.

I haven't seen a lean as drastic as what you're describing though, and realize it was the only solution available. But to me, rolling down the road with 4 different spring rates at all corners of my ride would not be the solution. Did the Icons come marked + and -? If so, did you install the + on the drivers side? I'd throw the factory leafs on real quick to see if the lean is as drastic. If it's not, I'd get ahold of Icon. A 2" difference is NOT normal.

So the answer is Nascar then. Add weights to the other side lol.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
So the answer is Nascar then. Add weights to the other side lol.
All joking aside, weights or wedges still adjust your effective spring rate. Great if you're only turning left. Not so great for real world driving or load carrying.

Straitbad01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase

The front coilovers have the same spring rate. They are just ride height adjustable with threaded collar. The rear was drastic because I built up the leaf pack super soft. So I re-built them back up slightly stiffer (both sides). But the driver side has an ever so slight stiffer build. They are very close to the same. But it is required for that side of the truck being heavier. I've tried many builds and options. This worked the best. Like I said it does absolutely nothing strange while driving, cornering, braking, off-road etc. I wish there was a perfect solution.
Cheers

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The front coilovers have the same spring rate. They are just ride height adjustable with threaded collar. The rear was drastic because I built up the leaf pack super soft. So I re-built them back up slightly stiffer (both sides). But the driver side has an ever so slight stiffer build. They are very close to the same. But it is required for that side of the truck being heavier. I've tried many builds and options. This worked the best. Like I said it does absolutely nothing strange while driving, cornering, braking, off-road etc. I wish there was a perfect solution.
Cheers
As you run that collar up the threaded shaft you are changing the spring's pre-load, effectively changing your spring rate.

Did you check to see if Icon marks there springs + and - like O.E.M.?

I'm glad it's working for you. Just feel like there has to be a better solution.

Straitbad01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
As you run that collar up the threaded shaft you are changing the spring's pre-load, effectively changing your spring rate.

Did you check to see if Icon marks there springs + and - like O.E.M.?

I'm glad it's working for you. Just feel like there has to be a better solution.
I don't have them adjusted very far off from each other. It's not like I went crazy lol. They are very close to the same. But no, they are the same spring rate each. No + or -.

MoodyBlue

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Industrial Electrician (Retired)
So has anybody else noticed this issue with their Ranger or is it isolated thus far?
MY 2019 Crewcab FX4 that had a 1" droop on both front and rear drivers side - dealer changed out rear leaf springs and improved a little (1.2 -3.4" to within specs according to dealer) but after another 15000km droop is back to where it was

Curtis

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Read almost all the post on this thread…has anyone got to a resolution? I am dealing with a 1/2” difference between the driver (lean) and passenger sides. My Ranger (2019) came with two shims on driver side and one on the passenger. I am not looking for perfect or to do lift modes…just looking to get lean somewhat better then it is now. Got it back from dealer today they told me it’s the first they’ve seen and that they had to call Ford to find out where or what to do next.

A286026A-C810-4F87-949A-7226EA2A771E.jpeg

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Read almost all the post on this thread…has anyone got to a resolution? I am dealing with a 1/2” difference between the driver (lean) and passenger sides. My Ranger (2019) came with two shims on driver side and one on the passenger. I am not looking for perfect or to do lift modes…just looking to get lean somewhat better then it is now. Got it back from dealer today they told me it’s the first they’ve seen and that they had to call Ford to find out where or what to do next.

Yeah, right. Never heard of it before.

Straitbad01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase

Take out the passenger side shim and see where that puts you. Worth a shot at least. If it doesn't work out just put it back.

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Crew Cab Lariat Blackout

I just checked all 4 corners on mine. ⅛" difference on the front, ½" on the back. So, not so much a "lean" as a "twist". Or more specifically, the low driver rear is probably lifting the front Passenger slightly. Spacer on the driver rear should solve it for those who care enough to bother.

Front Driver ground to bottom of rear factory crash bar - 15 â…ś"
Front Passenger ground to bottom of rear factory crash bar - 15 ½"
Rear Driver ground to frame right behind axle - 25 â…ť"
Rear Passenger ground to frame right behind axle - 26 â…›"

Curtis

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Take out the passenger side shim and see where that puts you. Worth a shot at least. If it doesn't work out just put it back.
That was my initial thought and what I was hoping the dealership would do when I had it in there. However, that is not what happened as they explained they needed to call Ford to see if this was even a known issue. I followed up today with a phone call to the dealership and they told me that they would contact me when they heard from Ford and that this could take weeks.:confused::thumbsdown:

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Mine clearly leans to the left side at the rear, curious so i measured to see what the diff would be, from the center of the wheel cap to the bottom edge of the wheel molding lip 24''on pass side,
23''on drivers w/full tank. I'm going to measure again when tank gets near or as close to empty.
Also I wasn't aware of the shim thing so i will now look to see if there are any installed.
Sponsored