Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
Hello,

I have a 2019 Ranger that is unfortunately out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Two days ago my Fiancé and I were driving it an noticed something unusual and stopped to check, and the top layer of the passenger leaf spring had totally snapped in half. I personally have never seen this on any truck let alone one that is a 4 year old, 40k miles commuter vehicle. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the springs? I've talked to all my mechanically inclined friends and the mechanic where the truck is currently at, and they all suggested I contact Ford regarding some sort of factory defect prior to having anything done. Ford dealers/ corporate were no use so far. I just wanted to see if this was something of a known issue, thanks.

I attached a picture of the damage below

IMG-1872.JPG
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'd show that to a Ford service department first and if they aren't helpful contact Ford Cares. It could be a serious failure under many circumstances - if you were carrying a load or towing.

OP
OP

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
I'd show that to a Ford service department first and if they aren't helpful contact Ford Cares. It could be a serious failure under many circumstances - if you were carrying a load or towing.
Unfortunately I tried both and they both essentially said if it's out of warranty it's not our problem.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Start a file complaint with NHTSA. They may want to take a look at it as a safety issue, maybe leading to a recall.
Whatever you do, do not let anyone take possession of that spring until the issue is sorted out.
There are many ways to trace the spring and it's manufacturing history which NHTSA can do.
And, notify Ford Corporate that your starting a case with NHTSA...and again, DO NOT let them take that spring.
Forget Ford Cares or a dealer...if they do replace it, they will take possession and that will be the last anyone hears about a potential problem.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Somewhere, sometime in these thousands of threads, someone else reported a broken leaf spring just as you. But I don't remember who or what thread. It may have been someone that lowered the truck.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Do I need to swap out any other suspension components or can I just do the springs if I go aftermarket?
First of all, I'm really trying to give you a simplified solution to this, problem. It's not your fault, but if you want to be back in that truck soon and add in the benefit of a softer suspension while maintaining all of factory payload and towing etc, then hear me out.

I am steering you towards the tried and true aftermarket world, in our truly challenging times of OEM supplier shortages and headaches.

More thought has gone into my initial reply than shows. Ordering from that link today before 3 o'clock gets you everything you need without ordering separate hardware etc, and FREE SHIPPING. (Usually shipping leaf springs is like $250). And their shipping is fast, they have warehouses all over and superb logistics. I've ordered stuff before from stage3 and have gotten it on my doorstep in less than 24 hours ($2k shocks)

Yes, you only swap out the springs and everything else works the same. I will attempt to sway you to adding some rear shocks while you're at it, but you can always do that later or not.

You raise up the truck by placing a jack under the rear axle pumpkin.
You remove the rear tires.
You place jack stands under the frame rails toward the rear.
Lower the rear axle and work on one side at a time.

The next steps are your own order,
Loosen u bolts
Remove shackle bolt and remove the other nut on it
Remove front bolt holding the front of the leaf.
Remove leaf spring

Repeat.

Torque to 25, then 50, 75, 100 ft lbs.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
If it is out of warranty and Ford won't help, I'd get the aftermarket springs and do it myself or have another shop do it. No way I'd let Ford keep it, possibly for several weeks or months to investigate the problem

OP
OP

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
If it is out of warranty and Ford won't help, I'd get the aftermarket springs and do it myself or have another shop do it. No way I'd let Ford keep it, possibly for several weeks or months to investigate the problem
If wasn't full time with work and school I'd do it myself so we're having a local mechanic do the work. Not sure which springs he'll recommend but yeah, definitely not having Ford look at it.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
If wasn't full time with work and school I'd do it myself so we're having a local mechanic do the work. Not sure which springs he'll recommend but yeah, definitely not having Ford look at it.
Yea there definitely more options. You could just get a stock set of leafs I guess too, or I've heard of a global set, or tremor takeoffs etc

Last edited:
OP
OP

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
This is a semi-common issue, it seems. The stock springs on these trucks are just WEAK!
For those who are interested, I am going to follow Grumpaw's advice and file a complaint with the NHTSA and hang onto the broken spring for tracing purposes. I can forgive little failures but for a truck that's marketed against the Tacoma it's insane that such a critical component is so frail- for everyday use nonetheless. I'll update this thread when I have more info. Thank you for all the advice everyone.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
First of all, I'm really trying to give you a simplified solution to this, problem. It's not your fault, but if you want to be back in that truck soon and add in the benefit of a softer suspension while maintaining all of factory payload and towing etc, then hear me out.

I am steering you towards the tried and true aftermarket world, in our truly challenging times of OEM supplier shortages and headaches.

More thought has gone into my initial reply than shows. Ordering from that link today before 3 o'clock gets you everything you need without ordering separate hardware etc, and FREE SHIPPING. (Usually shipping leaf springs is like $250). And their shipping is fast, they have warehouses all over and superb logistics. I've ordered stuff before from stage3 and have gotten it on my doorstep in less than 24 hours ($2k shocks)

Yes, you only swap out the springs and everything else works the same. I will attempt to sway you to adding some rear shocks while you're at it, but you can always do that later or not.

You raise up the truck by placing a jack under the rear axle pumpkin.
You remove the rear tires.
You place jack stands under the frame rails toward the rear.
Lower the rear axle and work on one side at a time.

The next steps are your own order,
Loosen u bolts
Remove shackle bolt and remove the other nut on it
Remove front bolt holding the front of the leaf.
Remove leaf spring

Repeat.

Torque to 25, then 50, 75, 100 ft lbs.
Thank you for the great insight and incredibly helpful instructions.
Sponsored