SOLVED: Driver Side Frame 1/2 Lower, Shim Added to Rear Leaf Spring

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This thread got me curious so I took a look at my truck. It sits about 1/2 lower on the drivers side. I have half a tank of gas currently. I looked underneath and the drivers side does have a shim that the passenger side doesn't. I bought my ranger new so it must have been something they did at the factory to try to correct at some point maybe?

As the person posted above I don't think 1/2 inch is a big deal. I was just interested, took a look and decided to post my findings for reference.
Sponsored

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Hi Gavin,

Okay...this is really weird. First, measure the height between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the frame on both sides. Then measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the rear axle tube. If the floor to axle is the same but the frame to axle is smaller on the left...Need to investigate a suspension issue of some type. This assumes the pickup box is completely empty...no aftermarket adds like tool box with air compressor added. Clearly this vehicle should visit the dealership for investigation, and if they are not able to diagnose, then demand the Ford district rep visit your vehicle....Sum Ting Wong....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Resurrecting this topic @P.A.Schilke . Appreciate your thoughts on this similar situation Phil. Stock suspension is .5" lower on left front and .35" lower on left rear. Does this indicate a LF suspension issue being it is greater in front or is there something I am missing?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this topic @P.A.Schilke . Appreciate your thoughts on this similar situation Phil. Stock suspension is .5" lower on left front and .35" lower on left rear. Does this indicate a LF suspension issue being it is greater in front or is there something I am missing?
Hi TBR.

Hmmmm....it almost points to the front stabilizer bar forcing the left front suspension up into the wheel house slightly but that sees unlikely. I think the rear is within spec but the front being half inch lower is not in spec as I recall 0.3" difference being the spec. See if you can determine if the stabilizer bar is in tension. Might drive it a mile or two and pull it back in to the same spot and see if there is a difference.

How much fuel do you have on board when you took the measurements? Any sort of load in the pickup box? like a cross bed tool box? Is the suspension stock? What about wheels and tires. Tire pressures equal around the vehicle? Inflated to the door label? Is the surface you were on pretty flat?

Puzzling!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi TBR.

Hmmmm....it almost points to the front stabilizer bar forcing the left front suspension up into the wheel house slightly but that sees unlikely. I think the rear is within spec but the front being half inch lower is not in spec as I recall 0.3" difference being the spec. See if you can determine if the stabilizer bar is in tension. Might drive it a mile or two and pull it back in to the same spot and see if there is a difference.

How much fuel do you have on board when you took the measurements? Any sort of load in the pickup box? like a cross bed tool box? Is the suspension stock? What about wheels and tires. Tire pressures equal around the vehicle? Inflated to the door label? Is the surface you were on pretty flat?

Puzzling!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Just turned over 1k miles and the problem has been there since day 1. Truck is empty and I have noticed it slightly more pronounced when the tank is full which is understandable. Tires are nitro filled to 30 psi per the door spec. Using my garage as a level surface, but notice it in parking lots as well. 8mm is the +/- side to side spec allowed by Ford and I am thinking if the .5" or (12+mm) is corrected in the front then the rear should correct itself accordingly which I have done with a temporary .5" increase of height as a test. Any chance the rear could be causing the front issue? Asking because it's going to the dealer is a few weeks for evaluation. I have a Fox 2.0 FP kit that I want to install, but want the issue resolved first. If no resolution I am thinking I can simply adjust the LF Fox spring perch .25 higher or add a .25 shim above the strut assembly where it mounts to the shock tower which should give me back the .5" on an IFS setup.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just turned over 1k miles and the problem has been there since day 1. Truck is empty and I have noticed it slightly more pronounced when the tank is full which is understandable. Tires are nitro filled to 30 psi per the door spec. Using my garage as a level surface, but notice it in parking lots as well. 8mm is the +/- side to side spec allowed by Ford and I am thinking if the .5" or (12+mm) is corrected in the front then the rear should correct itself accordingly which I have done with a temporary .5" increase of height as a test. Any chance the rear could be causing the front issue? Asking because it's going to the dealer is a few weeks for evaluation. I have a Fox 2.0 FP kit that I want to install, but want the issue resolved first. If no resolution I am thinking I can simply adjust the LF Fox spring perch .25 higher or add a .25 shim above the strut assembly where it mounts to the shock tower which should give me back the .5" on an IFS setup.
Hi TBR,

You can shim the left rear and it will transfer load diagonally to the right front which should lower it a bit. This may level the truck but I really think the dealer body shop needs to be involved to go through the measurements to verify what is causing this concern....

I agree you want to get this fixed before installing a leveling kit...

Something here does not appear to be correct and it would be good to know why if possible.

Good luck!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi TBR,

You can shim the left rear and it will transfer load diagonally to the right front which should lower it a bit. This may level the truck but I really think the dealer body shop needs to be involved to go through the measurements to verify what is causing this concern....

I agree you want to get this fixed before installing a leveling kit...

Something here does not appear to be correct and it would be good to know why if possible.

Good luck!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Very much appreciate your input Phil.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I just went out and checked my 2021. It's level.

Reactions: FoD

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
When I installed my deavers I didn't put the extra plate at the bottom of the driver side leafs and I had a lean then. The springs have settled now and it looks fine, should have put the plate but it looks fine. Definitely noticed it at first.

LVTremor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
So has anybody else noticed this issue with their Ranger or is it isolated thus far?
My 2021 Ranger Tremor has it. Dealer has replaced the drivers side leaf spring and drivers side coil spring. Still has the lean. They are currently trying to blame it on the gas tank that is full.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
My tremor has it also, has to be attributed to either mechanical components or fuel tank being on the driver side. . . Definitely bugs me though

Reactions: Doc

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I ended up adding shims under the left front shock/strut assy between the A arm, just 1/8th inch which was 1/4+ at the wheelwell, got it close to level depending on fuel load.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to stir the pot as my truck has this too and it drives me absolutely insane; but per google 1 gallon of gasoline is 6.1 lbs, we have a roughly 19 gal tank for 115.9lbs and I have a very difficult time believing that a weight eqiuvalent to a big dog would make a truck capable of towing 7500 lbs sag 1/2-3/4 inch from side to side... dealer gave me the same run-around as everyone else. Frame is straight. No one can seem to understand why some rangers do this and others dont.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Not trying to stir the pot as my truck has this too and it drives me absolutely insane; but per google 1 gallon of gasoline is 6.1 lbs, we have a roughly 19 gal tank for 115.9lbs and I have a very difficult time believing that a weight eqiuvalent to a big dog would make a truck capable of towing 7500 lbs sag 1/2-3/4 inch from side to side... dealer gave me the same run-around as everyone else. Frame is straight. No one can seem to understand why some rangers do this and others dont.
You could call their bluff by getting (3) 40 lb bags of sand and putting it opposite the tank on the passenger side. See if it levels out. I bet it does not.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
You could call their bluff by getting (3) 40 lb bags of sand and putting it opposite the tank on the passenger side. See if it levels out. I bet it does not.
I like this game.

Straitbad01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
I have this lean as well on my 2020. Driver side of the truck is definitely heavier/not the best weight distribution. I never checked or noticed with the stock leaf springs. I noticed after I installed a full Icon kit. Front coilovers, rear springs and shocks. The softer spring rate of the Icon leafs really brought it out. So I did an experiment and built the driver side leaf pack ever so slightly stiffer than the passenger side and adjusted the driver side coilover collar to apply diagonal pressure/weight to the passenger rear leaf pack. This did the trick pretty well. Still about 1/4" difference but wayyyy better than it was. It was damn near 2 inches before I started experimenting with different settings.
So those of you with a stock setup are stuck with shimming one side. But if you get an adjustable kit of some sort like Icon or Deaver you can manipulate this lean to your liking with trial and error. Or I could walk you through it. Just message me if need be.
Sponsored