First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Looks like I need to make an appointment with the dealer.. check out the difference in gap betwen the SumoSpring and the leaf on each side:

Passenger:
1656884601547.png

Driver:
1656884611739.png

My driveway isn't flat and level however I parked on the street and it wasn't much better. I also noticed that the old driver side bump stop left it's mark:

1656884677331.png

There's no markings like that on the passenger side.

Already appear to have the extra piece on the left:
1656884820420.png
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Looks like I need to make an appointment with the dealer.. check out the difference in gap betwen the SumoSpring and the leaf on each side:

Passenger:
1656884601547.png

Driver:
1656884611739.png

My driveway isn't flat and level however I parked on the street and it wasn't much better. I also noticed that the old driver side bump stop left it's mark:

1656884677331.png

There's no markings like that on the passenger side.

Already appear to have the extra piece on the left:
1656884820420.png
Looks like your overload leaf is pretty engaged on the driver side as well. How much lower is your driver front compared to your passenger front? Front lean is generally the cause of this. 1/4" difference in front can equal an inch in the rear easily.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Referring back to Phil pointing out the front may be causing some jacking at the rear and not wanting to do weird stuff with pre-loading the front springs (for those of us who did that adjustable Eibach front) maybe a single spacer on the front driver side? I've got enough of a lean to bug me.

If this is a valid solution I'll go in halfsies with someone. I'll toss in the can cooler.
Screenshot_20230605-222201.png

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Referring back to Phil pointing out the front may be causing some jacking at the rear and not wanting to do weird stuff with pre-loading the front springs (for those of us who did that adjustable Eibach front) maybe a single spacer on the front driver side? I've got enough of a lean to bug me.

If this is a valid solution I'll go in halfsies with someone. I'll toss in the can cooler.
Screenshot_20230605-222201.png
Where is here and there?
When I got my coilovers serviced I gave the new springs to the guy and told em to throw em on when he put the coilovers back together and with the same preload on both sides I am like an inch lower on the left side. And the set screw is on the back when I'm looking at it to turn the collar so I have to remove the coilovers to adjust the height but I'll put it with the set screw facing me when I change it. Just seems like a lot of lean after swapping springs. And the springs are longer and stiffer.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Where is here and there?
When I got my coilovers serviced I gave the new springs to the guy and told em to throw em on when he put the coilovers back together and with the same preload on both sides I am like an inch lower on the left side. And the set screw is on the back when I'm looking at it to turn the collar so I have to remove the coilovers to adjust the height but I'll put it with the set screw facing me when I change it. Just seems like a lot of lean after swapping springs. And the springs are longer and stiffer.
I just installed the ROW rear springs and have long ago replaced the factory shocks (not struts) in the back. I re-used the factory shim on the multileaf replacements and purposely put the one with the higher arch on the driver's side. Up front I've gone to the Eibach adjustable set to the middle perch with factory springs - it's not threaded therefore not infinitely adjustable. Phil had pointed out that raising the opposite corner would force down the diagonal one.

My 'Ranger Lean' has gone from about 5/8ths of an inch high on the passenger side to an inch. I've just yesterday put the driver's leafs on since I didn't get both done last week. I'm going to drive it at least a day or so, recheck the torque in the leaf spring u-bolts and see if there is an unacceptable amount of uneven distance at all four corners. If the fronts aren't even my options for adjusting the spring seat are too large, each increment is three quarters of an inch.

The other suggestion Phil had was to check the front sway bar end links to see if they are forcing one corner up but I don't think the conservative one and half inch lift is screwing that up. I may upgrade the end links to the Mevotechs since they are advertised as being beefier. If basically a $20 half inch part is going to get me closer to 'level' and not upset the handling or ride I'm doing it.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the ROW rear springs and have long ago replaced the factory shocks (not struts) in the back. I re-used the factory shim on the multileaf replacements and purposely put the one with the higher arch on the driver's side. Up front I've gone to the Eibach adjustable set to the middle perch with factory springs - it's not threaded therefore not infinitely adjustable. Phil had pointed out that raising the opposite corner would force down the diagonal one.

My 'Ranger Lean' has gone from about 5/8ths of an inch high on the passenger side to an inch. I've just yesterday put the driver's leafs on since I didn't get both done last week. I'm going to drive it at least a day or so, recheck the torque in the leaf spring u-bolts and see if there is an unacceptable amount of uneven distance at all four corners. If the fronts aren't even my options for adjusting the spring seat are too large, each increment is three quarters of an inch.

The other suggestion Phil had was to check the front sway bar end links to see if they are forcing one corner up but I don't think the conservative one and half inch lift is screwing that up. I may upgrade the end links to the Mevotechs since they are advertised as being beefier. If basically a $20 half inch part is going to get me closer to 'level' and not upset the handling or ride I'm doing it.
I was pretty even all around within 1/4" before I swapped the front springs. I'm running deavers and didn't install the little plate (I forgot) and no sway bar so I'll raise the front left.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
You can easily add a U shim between the A arm and the strut, I have about 25,000 miles on these, no issues.

I used either 1/8" or 3/16", it brought it up to exactly level with 1/2 tank of gas.

It's pretty easy, loosen the strut nuts, jack up just the strut with a bottle jack, slide in the shim, torque the nuts, the hardest part is to cut the shim.

Hmm, I wonder if I should water jet out a pile and sell them? but I'm already buried in the Ranger dipstick project, shims would be really easy though.

IMG_0527.JPEG

IMG_0528.JPEG

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I measured the distance to the top of the arches measuring vertically through the center wheel and got these measurements (post multileaf install) is left front 35 3/4 inches, right front 36 5/8 in, left rear 38 5/8 and right rear now 39 7/8.

I'm wondering what the half inch spacer in the front left would do.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I measured the distance to the top of the arches measuring vertically through the center wheel and got these measurements (post multileaf install) is left front 35 3/4 inches, right front 36 5/8 in, left rear 38 5/8 and right rear now 39 7/8.

I'm wondering what the half inch spacer in the front left would do.
I think it should eliminate more than half of the lean. Man, so much lean on these things lol

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
You can easily add a U shim between the A arm and the strut, I have about 25,000 miles on these, no issues.

I used either 1/8" or 3/16", it brought it up to exactly level with 1/2 tank of gas.

It's pretty easy, loosen the strut nuts, jack up just the strut with a bottle jack, slide in the shim, torque the nuts, the hardest part is to cut the shim.

Hmm, I wonder if I should water jet out a pile and sell them? but I'm already buried in the Ranger dipstick project, shims would be really easy though.

IMG_0527.JPEG

IMG_0528.JPEG
It almost seems like should be a simple shim system available to fine tune these things inherently.

Reminds me of my disgust in the late 70's doing electronics installs on new American cars and seeing horrible alignment of welded body panels under trim and carpet.

I've ordered the simple half inch plate set off Amazon. When I get 'round tuit I'll slip one in to the driver's side front. I doubt it'll be perfect but minimize any obvious difference.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is it advertised as a 1/2" lift or 1/2" thick? because a 1/2" spacer raises the front more than a 1/2" due to the suspension geometry.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Is it advertised as a 1/2" lift or 1/2" thick? because a 1/2" spacer raises the front more than a 1/2" due to the suspension geometry.
If it were 50% more than the physical thickness of the bushing/plate with even half of that total taken from the opposite corner it would be damn near perfect.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
While that is what it says, it doesn't provide specifics.

Suggests to me they might be less than? And I can't anticipate what the action would be on the diagonal corner... just 'down.' Which would be closer to 'even.' As for 'improving ride quality' I'm going guess that's subjective.
Screenshot_20230608-004020~2.png.png

Altering the LCA also begs for a trip to the alignment shop. They did a great job after the Eibach front lift kit that I didn't max out (both were center perch settings) so I don't think I'm screwing things up here.

I'm coming to the conclusion this is a phenomenon of rear spring suspensions.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That should be perfect if you are off that much, Ford has always had problems leaning to the left, this is a age old problem, when I was at the dealer, it was F series, Bronco's and Explorers, same problem, tell the customer it's normal, within range, or maybe change a spring, or even add in a shim. A little design change would save Ford warranty money and customer satisfaction.

Reactions: R_B

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
That should be perfect if you are off that much, Ford has always had problems leaning to the left, this is a age old problem, when I was at the dealer, it was F series, Bronco's and Explorers, same problem, tell the customer it's normal, within range, or maybe change a spring, or even add in a shim. A little design change would save Ford warranty money and customer satisfaction.
So here's a little update, I got the spacers and they aren't 1/2 inch thick each, they're a quarter inch. It may be a while before I get one on and an alignment so I can measure the effect.
IMG_20230609_201621596~2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: