SOLVED: Coolant Leak from the Heater Core, Replaced Under Warranty

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck! Hoping everything works out for you.
Sponsored

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
Man that bites uthunter. Lets just hope it turns out not so bad.

That pic on the tow truck, hurts just looking at it.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I met with the service manager and the mechanic this morning while they had it on the lift to discuss what I was seeing over the weekend and show them the pics of the fluid loss, etc... They have submitted a request to FMC and then have to wait 2 hours to talk to the engineers. The Regional Rep has been notified as well. Their plan is to pressurize things and see if they can get more leakage and then drop the pan and go from there. If there is coolant in the transmission, it is a total rebuild (I told them I don't want a rebuild and that I want a brand new transmission).

The dealer has committed that they'll unwind the deal if I'm not happy with the response from FMC so we'll wait and see what happens. The only hang-up is that I can't just get another one on a dealer-trade and would wait months if I start over. I'm going to wait and see what they say before I get too wound up about it.
Yeah, good luck. But I'm impressed your dealer is willing to unwind the deal if need be.
Hope it works out!

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Let's all agree; @uthunter is handling this better than most of us would.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
@uthunter, speaking as a retired Ford service manager, you are doing it the correct way. You have said enough, of whats going on, for me to know pretty well what they are doing. The dealer is your advocate with Ford and wants it taken care of to your satisfaction. He may have to go thru several steps but it will be taken care of. The dealer offering to undo the deal tells you he is on your side. Keep us posted..........

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
BTW - sorry for your Ranger mishap.

The suspense is killing me
Was it "definitely" ATF fluid or coolant fluid leaking?
If it was coolant fluid, how did it get into the 10R80 tranny?
How could new Ranger owners tell if they have the same problem with the tranny that does not have a dipstick?

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
BTW - sorry for your Ranger mishap.

The suspense is killing me
Was it "definitely" ATF fluid or coolant fluid leaking?
If it was coolant fluid, how did it get into the 10R80 tranny?
How could new Ranger owners tell if they have the same problem with the tranny that does not have a dipstick?
It's definitely coolant. The mechanic didn't hear back today from FMC, but hopes to hear first thing in the morning (we're two hours behind). He didn't tear into it without FMC approval so there's a lot we don't know.

One thing he did tell me is there actually is a small dipstick on the top of the tranny next to the exhaust. He was saying how hard it is for them to check; especially when the motor is hot, which is when they're supposed to check it.

I can't find schematics anywhere on that tranny. Does anybody have any idea what that hole is for? Is it a weeping hole for coolant that is supposed to run in the tranny casing possibly? If so, maybe there isn't coolant in the tranny itself. :please:

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Did I win the distinguished award for the first Ranger to have mechanical problems? I walked out into the garage this afternoon and she's leaking transmission fluid. 53 miles.

20190126_183345.jpg
20190126_183547.jpg
Oh man that sucks, but congrats on being the first ‍♂♂

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
It looks like coolant to me. My bet is its leaking from the turbo and running down the top of the bell housing.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like coolant to me. My bet is its leaking from the turbo and running down the top of the bell housing.
My bet is transmission cooler coolant leak. There is a heat exchanger mounted on the drivers side of the tranny that circulates coolant to cool the transmission fluid. If it has an internal failure this would be the result.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
My bet is transmission cooler coolant leak. There is a heat exchanger mounted on the drivers side of the tranny that circulates coolant to cool the transmission fluid. If it has an internal failure this would be the result.
That's my bet too

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Just curious, for the last 60+ years transmission coolers have been inside the radiator and trans fluid was circulated through them to cool the fluid at the radiator. Do they now actually circulate antifreeze back to the radiator? Seems a LOT less efficient.
I thought it had to be a bad coolant line in the radiator, basically the same as your conclusion, but the approach you describe is new to me.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, for the last 60+ years transmission coolers have been inside the radiator and trans fluid was circulated through them to cool the fluid at the radiator. Do they now actually circulate antifreeze back to the radiator? Seems a LOT less efficient.
I thought it had to be a bad coolant line in the radiator, basically the same as your conclusion, but the approach you describe is new to me.
3383-5108e2f74062e559a5513b513c2cc36a.png

I'm with you, but here is the part for reference.

Attachments

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I must say, with the issues I have reading about, the thought of canceling my order has crept into my mind.
Sponsored