First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Just thought I'd add a new failure mode to the list. We were one day into our 3,000 mile vacation (that we specifically timed the purchase of the Ranger to support since my old vehicle had 115k miles on it and I didn't trust it for long journeys anymore) when the transmission went out. My truck was 2 weeks old, and had ~1,100 miles on it (400 of those from the night before).

The symptoms I felt were that the trans shifted into neutral. The engine was freely revving, and the cluster matched the gear state of the shifter itself, and park would engage the parking pawl, but RNDS were all acting as if it was in neutral. A wrench light also popped on the cluster. Once at the dealer, they pulled the codes, where there were 14 PCM codes, all dealing with transmission shift solenoids and pressure.

That was the morning on 7/12. At the time, the dealership told me that Ford would cover $30/day of a rental car, for up to 5 days, but the only rental car available in the area was a midsized sedan, and cost $80/day. My vacation was going to bring me back to the area the following Sunday, so I would need it for 10 days, so it would cost me $650 for a rental sedan, and Ford would pick up $150. I didn't go this route, but I bring it up because I've recently learned from the Ford Customer Service Dept that this is an outright lie, and that since I was on vacation Ford will provide me with a Ranger or better vehicle for however long it takes for me to get my truck back, no expense to me.

On 7/17, after the dealership had heard from the hotline, the plan was to replace the transmission, which arrived at the dealership on 7/19, except they didn't have the right fasteners in stock to make the swap.

Yesterday, I made contact with a Customer Service Supervisor in regards to my situation, who informed me that it's going to be another 2.5-3 weeks before the dealership has time to put the transmission in my vehicle, and that they will then be able to use their existing infrastructure to basically re-deliver the truck to me at my home dealership.

So if you figure another week for delivery, I'm going to have picked up my truck on 6/28, and had it for less than 14 days until it's delivered back to my dealership on an estimated date of 8/23 - by which time I will have made 2 payments on it for those 2 weeks that I've had it (and 42 days in the shop).

So, lessons learned from all of this for other people:
1) When you're on vacation, you are 100% provided an equal or better vehicle for you to continue your vacation. Don't let the dealership tell you that you're screwed and it's up to you to cover the cost.
2) If a family member offers to provide you a loaner truck (because what the dealership told you wouldn't actually work for your vacation), deny it because Ford is going to say "sucks to be your family that you put 2,500 miles on their truck. You should have gotten a rental through us instead."
3) Don't listen to the dealership that says that you have to come back to their dealership to pick up your truck when it's fixed. Ford is capable of shipping it back to your home dealership.
4) IMMEDIATELY open a customer service request. This was my biggest mistake and listening to what the dealership said.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Crappy that you had a trans failure. The transmission is an actual GEM! I did about 450 miles so far towing a 4500# travel trailer, and it's been a breeze. I now have 12000 miles on the truck and am coming up to the second oil change. It's been a dream. The dealerships however are dickheads, they will 9/10 try and get you to pay for stuff out of pocket if they think you aren't informed. IF you have a large failure or think you might have, always open a CSR with Ford as that gets the fire lit for the dealers to put rush orders in on parts, etc. They will ALWAYS take care of people who buy trucks because they know truck prices are insane, and there's lots of profit in them.

Try the same with a Ford Fiesta, and you get slightly different results (Not terrible, but not as great for sure).

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Sorry to hear about your experience. I know it can be super frustrating, especially when you are supposed to be on vacation! No one wants to deal with stuff like this. Keep us posted!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Just thought I'd add a new failure mode to the list. We were one day into our 3,000 mile vacation (that we specifically timed the purchase of the Ranger to support since my old vehicle had 115k miles on it and I didn't trust it for long journeys anymore) when the transmission went out. My truck was 2 weeks old, and had ~1,100 miles on it (400 of those from the night before).

The symptoms I felt were that the trans shifted into neutral. The engine was freely revving, and the cluster matched the gear state of the shifter itself, and park would engage the parking pawl, but RNDS were all acting as if it was in neutral. A wrench light also popped on the cluster. Once at the dealer, they pulled the codes, where there were 14 PCM codes, all dealing with transmission shift solenoids and pressure.

That was the morning on 7/12. At the time, the dealership told me that Ford would cover $30/day of a rental car, for up to 5 days, but the only rental car available in the area was a midsized sedan, and cost $80/day. My vacation was going to bring me back to the area the following Sunday, so I would need it for 10 days, so it would cost me $650 for a rental sedan, and Ford would pick up $150. I didn't go this route, but I bring it up because I've recently learned from the Ford Customer Service Dept that this is an outright lie, and that since I was on vacation Ford will provide me with a Ranger or better vehicle for however long it takes for me to get my truck back, no expense to me.

On 7/17, after the dealership had heard from the hotline, the plan was to replace the transmission, which arrived at the dealership on 7/19, except they didn't have the right fasteners in stock to make the swap.

Yesterday, I made contact with a Customer Service Supervisor in regards to my situation, who informed me that it's going to be another 2.5-3 weeks before the dealership has time to put the transmission in my vehicle, and that they will then be able to use their existing infrastructure to basically re-deliver the truck to me at my home dealership.

So if you figure another week for delivery, I'm going to have picked up my truck on 6/28, and had it for less than 14 days until it's delivered back to my dealership on an estimated date of 8/23 - by which time I will have made 2 payments on it for those 2 weeks that I've had it (and 42 days in the shop).

1) When you're on vacation, you are 100% provided an equal or better vehicle for you to continue your vacation. Don't let the dealership tell you that you're screwed and it's up to you to cover the cost.
2) If a family member offers to provide you a loaner truck (because what the dealership told you wouldn't actually work for your vacation), deny it because Ford is going to say "sucks to be your family that you put 2,500 miles on their truck. You should have gotten a rental through us instead."
3) Don't listen to the dealership that says that you have to come back to their dealership to pick up your truck when it's fixed. Ford is capable of shipping it back to your home dealership.
4) IMMEDIATELY open a customer service request. This was my biggest mistake and listening to what the dealership said.

wow. that sucks.

and REALLY shocked you had a problem with the transmission.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
You didn't trust a car with 115k miles? Those must have been some hard miles!

Sucks about the transmission, and that's even worse that when given the opportunity to make a bad situation better the dealership tried to take advantage of you. Sad that money is more important than human decency.

OP
OP

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't trust a car with 115k miles? Those must have been some hard miles!

Sucks about the transmission, and that's even worse that when given the opportunity to make a bad situation better the dealership tried to take advantage of you. Sad that money is more important than human decency.
Meh, I was noticing the trans was occasionally slipping. Did I have any specific concerns? Not really, and if I don't routinely make 2,000+ mile trips, I wouldn't have had any problem continuing to drive the Escape locally.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Gotcha. I had a trailblazer that was the same way, engine would occasionally stumble and chug, then sort itself out after a few minutes. Never took that too far away from home!

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
So, what did they say was the problem with the transmission, exactly?

OP
OP

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, what did they say was the problem with the transmission, exactly?
No clue. They took off the pan and saw quite a bit of metal in the fluid, so the diagnostics stopped and it was decided that they needed to swap the trans. No need for the dealer to continue to investigate root cause internal to the trans.

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCrew Ranger XLT, FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow PKG, Chrome Appearance PKG, Technology PKG
Occupation
Cyber Junk
Contact Ford Corporate customer support and let them know your experience, I did just that and asked for an extension of the current warranty. Ford Corporate contacted the dealership and confirmed the situation, within a week I had a 6 year 75000 warranty. BTW I had a sensor issue causing the engine to run incorrectly with the fuel injection. 15 days in shop = free extended warranty.

OP
OP

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Contact Ford Corporate customer support and let them know your experience, I did just that and asked for an extension of the current warranty. Ford Corporate contacted the dealership and confirmed the situation, within a week I had a 6 year 75000 warranty. BTW I had a sensor issue causing the engine to run incorrectly with the fuel injection. 15 days in shop = free extended warranty.
Yup, the process has gone a lot smoother since corporate customer support got involved. The dealership in the middle of nowhere was less than helpful, and screwed me, but the more I talk with CCS, the more it seems they're willing to make the situation right. As an update, I still don't have my truck, but it's getting moved from the dealership in the middle of nowhere to my local one tomorrow. Apparently they basically were planning on just never fixing my truck. Hopefully that means sometime next week I'll have my truck back.

In the meantime, CCS put me in a F-150 Platinum rental as a "comparable or better" truck, which was really what I was contemplating getting instead of the Ranger. While I like the gizmos and gadgets on it (the massaging seats are great!), I'm really feeling good about buying the Ranger - the F-150 is just such a beast to drive as a daily driver. It'll also be interesting to compare actual mileage in my driving environment. The F-150 got 20mpg on the highway loaded will all of my gear, and is getting 19mpg on my daily commute. My Ranger was getting around 21-22 on my daily commute, and started off the trip getting 24mpg for the first 3 hours, but dropped to 22mpg (avg) by the end of hour 6... I don't know how much of that was the trans not operating correctly though, so I'll have to wait until our next trip to get a reading on that.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I get 24-25 consistently with my truck after having the trans retuned by Ford. I got 12.7 towing my camper trailer (which is pretty big).

OP
OP

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm supposed to be picking up my truck at some point Wednesday or Thursday. I'm excited - she's spent twice as much time in the shop compared to in my possession. Let's hope the issue was limited to my trans, and as they're changing it out today and tomorrow they don't run into any additional snafus.

Streffie

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger wildtrak 3.2 Auto
Is your gearbox a 6 or 10 speed ?

I have a 2019 6 speed and my transmission is terrible, its like the torque converter slips, it doesn't know what gear to be in, its just shocking.

Hey all,

Sponsored