OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Are you sure its antifreeze? Touch the fluid, then touch your tongue, you will know for sure.
My father-in-law is a diesel mechanic (18-wheelers) and had the same thought as you. Definitely coolant. It seems the transmission is full of coolant and it's coming out of the gasket.

I tightened the pan slightly and that slowed it down, my thought is the thinner viscosity of the coolant got past the gasket where ATF wasn't.

Tow truck is on its way to my house. My question is, "With that few miles, how much damage was done to the transmission? Does it need to be replaced?"

I don't want problems in 30,000 miles because of this.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I too am a retired fleet mechanic. I would also be worried about transmission oil in the engine coolant.
You will just have to wait til they pull the tranny pan and drain and check the radiatorl.
If the leak simply pressured a little coolant into the tranny after it was parked and you DON"T drive it...
Only Ford engineers will know how coolant will effect the clutch materials or whether it can be cleaned.

Whatever they decide to do, make sure they explain it to you and someone you trust.
My heart sank in sympathy for you when I saw this, but you may be alright... keep us posted.

Last edited:

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
My father-in-law is a diesel mechanic (18-wheelers) and had the same thought as you. Definitely coolant. It seems the transmission is full of coolant and it's coming out of the gasket.

I tightened the pan slightly and that slowed it down, my thought is the thinner viscosity of the coolant got past the gasket where ATF wasn't.

Tow truck is on its way to my house. My question is, "With that few miles, how much damage was done to the transmission? Does it need to be replaced?"

I don't want problems in 30,000 miles because of this.
I wonder if you could get Ford to warrant the tranny for 100K due to this problem, just for your protection and peace of mind. If you don't ask, it'll never be offered....

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
20190127_142249.jpg

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing that cruising down the road won't help Ranger sales..... :(

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Seeing that cruising down the road won't help Ranger sales..... :(
When we bought the '00 Explorer Sport thru a broker (19 years ago), it was hauled from Clearwater to Miami on a flatbed to be delivered to us. I see them still being delivered that way today.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The all new Wrangler has a ZF sourced 8-speed auto and several guys on that forum have had trans. leaks and issues already.

Is the 10R80 that Ford uses actually a ZF design, or is it something Ford/GM designed and built in-house?

That sucks and I hope they take care of you. Coolant will ruin the discs in short order.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@uthunter did you get an estimate of when it will be available? I assume you got a free rental car and the VIP treatment.
I met with the service manager and the mechanic this morning while they had it on the lift to discuss what I was seeing over the weekend and show them the pics of the fluid loss, etc... They have submitted a request to FMC and then have to wait 2 hours to talk to the engineers. The Regional Rep has been notified as well. Their plan is to pressurize things and see if they can get more leakage and then drop the pan and go from there. If there is coolant in the transmission, it is a total rebuild (I told them I don't want a rebuild and that I want a brand new transmission).

The dealer has committed that they'll unwind the deal if I'm not happy with the response from FMC so we'll wait and see what happens. The only hang-up is that I can't just get another one on a dealer-trade and would wait months if I start over. I'm going to wait and see what they say before I get too wound up about it.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I met with the service manager and the mechanic this morning while they had it on the lift to discuss what I was seeing over the weekend and show them the pics of the fluid loss, etc... They have submitted a request to FMC and then have to wait 2 hours to talk to the engineers. The Regional Rep has been notified as well. Their plan is to pressurize things and see if they can get more leakage and then drop the pan and go from there. If there is coolant in the transmission, it is a total rebuild (I told them I don't want a rebuild and that I want a brand new transmission).

The dealer has committed that they'll unwind the deal if I'm not happy with the response from FMC so we'll wait and see what happens. The only hang-up is that I can't just get another one on a dealer-trade and would wait months if I start over. I'm going to wait and see what they say before I get too wound up about it.
You're on the right track. Good luck man!
Sponsored