So I Got Tired Of My Phone Cable Being In The Way...

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Will this phone holder work with a Lifeproof case on the phone.
I have an Iphone 7. The case makes it about twice as thick.
I know this is a reply to an old post but figured I'd leave it here anyway. The unit I ordered, which seems to be the same as everyone else but with a different brand name, came with two sets of silicon brackets, 9mm and 14mm. The key thing for me was the two little "C" clips:

phone_rest.jpg

because without them, my phone (iPhone SE 2nd gen) slipped out of the holder and I have an ESR slim clear case on my phone.
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Well I'm convinced God doesn't care too much for me. This was another adventure that should not have been.

1. The top tray was incredibly difficult to pop out and I really had to force it. When I did, I found that there were blue retaining clips on the back of all the original tray clips so all of those broke off and most bounced off the windshield and back into the dash or defroster vents. Yay, I get to listen to those rattling forever.
  2. The bottom panel next to the glove box would not come out in any direction. The amount of force it would have taken to remove it would have destroyed the panel for sure. I believe that since Amber was on a build fast-track, they may have used epoxy to hold that panel in place.
  3. Since the bottom panel wouldn't come out I had to use a flex spring claw to reach down and grab the cable to pull it up to the vent area. This part went surprisingly well.
  4. After taking the skin off a couple knuckles getting the cable up to the top tray opening I lost my grip and it fell back to the bottom. Should have used tape to hold it to the vent opening.
  5. Re-pulled the cable, put it through the tray, put the grommet over the cable, put the grommet in the tray and put the tray back in place.
  6. Total time for completion, two extremely long hours.

It sucks having no patience but still being cursed with the "I can do that" mentality. :)

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I feel for you Tony
I am hesitant to do any plastic panel pulling until the heat of summer comes back, things are more flexible and less likely to break!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I feel for you Tony
I am hesitant to do any plastic panel pulling until the heat of summer comes back, things are more flexible and less likely to break!
That's a good point about the weather but I have a heated garage.

Also, never let my experiences sway your decision on anything unless I am adamant about it. I'm that guy that if there is a 50-50 chance at something, I'll get it wrong 99% of the time.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
LOL
And Nice on the heated Garage.
Mines not heated, but I am not allowed in anyway!

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
The down side to putting the phone there is heat is death on batteries
Yeah no way my phone would last long in that tray on an average Fla day. But could be perfect for a couple of breakfast burritos.

DigiSnapMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Looks great! Hmm, is it time to start ordering accessories before my build is even registered at Ford? The list is growing...

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Thanks to Dr. Zaius' idea, I went ahead and added a 12V Y-Cable to my dash tray:

12vdash2.jpg

Last edited:

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I went a slightly different route but still don't like the cable routing. Might look into "Hiding it better. You got the brain thinking .... drat.

I use an apple MagSafe charger gorilla double sided taped to a Belkin vent holder. Works really well and I just "stick" it to the charger. Even going down some "mild off road trails" the phone stayed put (Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max ... big phone).

IMG_0148.jpeg

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Man - I'm having a real bitch of a time fishing a USB cable up in to that spot

Bosco FX4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Domestic Engineer
I realize this is an older thread, but it really is a great solution to something that has been bugging me since I got my Ranger. I knew when I was test driving the truck that I wouldn’t be happy with my giant iPhone 12 max in that bottom tray. I assumed I could find some kind of mount but I just didn’t like anything I found. Not to mention that everything still had a cable draped across the front of the truck. This totally worked like a charm! I didn’t even drill a hole in my tray. My (stock Apple) cable fits through the seam around the tray just fine. I can go back and drill later if I decide to.
Thanks y’all!
Sponsored