So I Got Tired Of My Phone Cable Being In The Way...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I did a bit of drilling on the factory tray and now I am happy.

The Aonkey cellphone holder works great with my S8. I was always forgetting to grab my phone when it was down in the lower bin with the USB ports, and if I put it in the tray up top the cable draped up across the dash was always nagging me.

49557141297_d1a6de13e5_b.jpg

The holder has the super sticky rubber backing discs and works well with the ribs in the dash tray. It doesn't budge at all.

The phone holders are a semi-flexible rubber and hold the phone very securely while allowing for easy insert/removal.

Drilled a small hole in the rear of the factory tray for the USB-C cable to come through

49556408233_5842e63c0a_b.jpg

I routed the cable behind the dash so it's no longer in the way. Comes out behind the phone for easy connect.

49557141357_56bb7916d8_b.jpg

Poke it through the hole in the factory tray and snap the tray back down. Drop the phone holder back in place and Voila!

49556408308_821c444ee0_b.jpg

49556905851_5315802acc_b.jpg

Routed the cable behind the cubby where the USB ports are located.

49556905996_791558feda_b.jpg

Now my phone is front and center so I don't forget it, easily popped in and out, always connected for Android Auto, and also perfectly positioned for running an offline GPS trail app (Locus Pro).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I had the Aonkey phone holder in my dashboard tray but the cable was always nagging me.

I did a bit of trimming and now I am happy.
Somehow you lost me in your post...

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Somehow you lost me in your post...
Sorry, I posted before the pictures were linked.

Aonkey is the brand of phone holder.

Hopefully it will make sense now.

Is that an Aonkey behind you in your avatar?
I hate every ape I see, from chim-pan-A to chim-pan-Z

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Sorry, I posted before the pictures were linked.

Aonkey is the brand of phone holder.

Hopefully it will make sense now.

I hate every ape I see, from chim-pan-A to chim-pan-Z
Much clearer now, thanks
In my situation however, I'd like to mount a wireless cell phone charger pad somewhere so that it looks factory installed. The little nacelle in the leading edge of the center console is too small for my phone to lay flat, I could use the dashtop tray you used however.
This is a glaring omission Ford left out in the 5th. gen series, but by no means any reason to condemn an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Flapilot

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
How hard was it to route the cable? What length cable did you use? Picture with the phone mounted?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Great mod! Can you post a picture of the phone in the holder?

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
Are you running a radar detector? Have you had any interference since placing your phone on the dash? I have an S8 and when I set it in the tray on the dash, my radar detector starts reporting laser detection every few minutes. The detector is the top of the line Beltronics and not a cheap one that acts up. It's mounted just under the rear view mirror.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here are a couple of quick pics of my phone in the holder.

The viewing angle is spot on.

From the driver perspective, the top of the phone doesn't encroach on the windshield view at all. It's below the wipers.

49557442701_9f9fca28ec_b.jpg

49557677447_83c7afa983_b.jpg

How hard was it to route the cable? What length cable did you use? Picture with the phone mounted?
Very easy. remove the right side dash trim and the right side center console trim and you have plenty of room to route the cable.

I used a 4ft cable and there was plenty of slack.

I think a 3 ft would probably be fine.

Are you running a radar detector? Have you had any interference since placing your phone on the dash? I have an S8 and when I set it in the tray on the dash, my radar detector starts reporting laser detection every few minutes. The detector is the top of the line Beltronics and not a cheap one that acts up. It's mounted just under the rear view mirror.
I'm not running a radar detector so I don't know about that.

Have you tried placing your phone face down in the tray?

The S8 has the face detection and also eyes detection (to prevent the device from going to sleep while watching video) and I wonder if those are triggering the detector.

Last edited:

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I saw that style of phone holder on Amazon and wondered if the phone would flip out of it and into the cab under moderate / heavy acceleration. I take it you have no problems with the phone staying in place. Think I will order one as well.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I saw that style of phone holder on Amazon and wondered if the phone would flip out of it and into the cab under moderate / heavy acceleration. I take it you have no problems with the phone staying in place. Think I will order one as well.
No problems at all.

It holds the phone securely yet the phone is easy to remove (just lift straight up)

I was a bit concerned as well but I thought I'd risk it for $12.

I was actually wanting a holder like the one I have in my Grand Cherokee but that one is too big for the Ranger tray.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I did a bit of drilling on the factory tray and now I am happy.

The Aonkey cellphone holder works great with my S8. I was always forgetting to grab my phone when it was down in the lower bin with the USB ports, and if I put it in the tray up top the cable draped up across the dash was always nagging me.

49557141297_d1a6de13e5_b.jpg

The holder has the super sticky rubber backing discs and works well with the ribs in the dash tray. It doesn't budge at all.

The phone holders are a semi-flexible rubber and hold the phone very securely while allowing for easy insert/removal.

Drilled a small hole in the rear of the factory tray for the USB-C cable to come through

49556408233_5842e63c0a_b.jpg

I routed the cable behind the dash so it's no longer in the way. Comes out behind the phone for easy connect.

49557141357_56bb7916d8_b.jpg

Poke it through the hole in the factory tray and snap the tray back down. Drop the phone holder back in place and Voila!

49556408308_821c444ee0_b.jpg

49556905851_5315802acc_b.jpg

Routed the cable behind the cubby where the USB ports are located.

49556905996_791558feda_b.jpg

Now my phone is front and center so I don't forget it, easily popped in and out, always connected for Android Auto, and also perfectly positioned for running an offline GPS trail app (Locus Pro).
I like your mod. The USB 2.0 should be called 2.slow.
I gave up on mine I use a hi-speed Aker brand charger in the cig-lighter opening.

Deleted member 773

I haven’t had anything with my Valentine One, it gets triggered by the Mazda laser cruise control but that’s it.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Much clearer now, thanks
In my situation however, I'd like to mount a wireless cell phone charger pad somewhere so that it looks factory installed. The little nacelle in the leading edge of the center console is too small for my phone to lay flat, I could use the dashtop tray you used however.
This is a glaring omission Ford left out in the 5th. gen series, but by no means any reason to condemn an otherwise excellent vehicle.
Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but I was actually thinking about doing this as well.

I was going to try using THIS holder and seeing if I could fit a QI charger into the vertical backrest.

It has dimensions that should just fit into the Ranger tray.

The only reason I didn't try this out is because my preferred phone case has to be removed for wireless charging, and since the Ranger doesn't have wireless Android Auto I have to plug in anyway.

Technically I don't need a phone holder that is in line-of-sight as I rarely use the phone itself when in the truck, but when the phone was down in the lower tray I always found myself hopping out without grabbing the phone.

With it up top in plain view I automatically grab it when exiting.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The down side to putting the phone there is heat is death on batteries
Sponsored

Last edited: