So I Got Tired Of My Phone Cable Being In The Way...

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
uh-huh. reality suggests otherwise, that's why it's illegal pretty much anywhere.
Whatever. I really don't give a shit. Don't do it then.
I'm just telling you my real world experience. Take it or leave it
Sponsored

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
uh-huh. reality suggests otherwise, that's why it's illegal pretty much anywhere.
The front windows are factory tinted to 70. I had 70% ceramic tint applied to my rear windows and you wouldn’t even know it. 30% and lower I agree you cannot see as well at night.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The front windows are factory tinted to 70. I had 70% ceramic tint applied to my rear windows and you wouldn’t even know it. 30% and lower I agree you cannot see as well at night.
People like to think they can see just as well because they can still see headlights and such, but take away 30% of the light and it becomes harder to see (for example) a person in the dark who doesn't have built-in lights. Reaction time is affected, and you don't always have a lot of reaction time. I understand that everyone is above average and simple physics doesn't apply to their particular situation, but it's just not credible that someone can see just as far down the road in the dark with 30% less light regardless of how special their eyes are.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
People like to think they can see just as well because they can still see headlights and such, but take away 30% of the light and it becomes harder to see (for example) a person in the dark who doesn't have built-in lights. Reaction time is affected, and you don't always have a lot of reaction time. I understand that everyone is above average and simple physics doesn't apply to their particular situation, but it's just not credible that someone can see just as far down the road in the dark with 30% less light regardless of how special their eyes are.
the percentage is how much light passes through, not what it blocks. federal guidelines allow the windshield to pass no less than 70% light. the 70% tint on the windshield is to block UV and heat. it doesn't reduce your visibility at night. they do make a 90% that is a little less effective at blocking UV and heat.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the percentage is how much light passes through, not what it blocks.
I understand that, which is why I said "30% less light"

federal guidelines allow the windshield to pass no less than 70% light.
There are no federal regulations of windshield tint in non-commercial vehicles. It's illegal under almost every state's laws. I'm well aware that there are a lot of pro-tint sites on the internet with misleading or overly creative interpretations saying that windshield tint is perfectly ok.

I don't really want to get into a long window tint argument. It's not like I can stop anyone from driving around with it, and I'm not likely to change any minds. For myself, suffice it to say that there's no benefit that would outweigh how I would feel if I ran over some kid because I deliberately made it harder to see in front of my car at night. It's just like fiddling with a phone in the car--most of the time it's fine, but when it isn't fine you don't get a do-over.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
There are no federal regulations of windshield tint in non-commercial vehicles.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht87-349

Standard No. 205 requires 70% light transmittance in all windows in passenger vehicles. Multipurpose passenger vehicles, motor homes, and trucks are required to have 70% light transmittance in the windshield and windows to the immediate right and left o f the driver and the rearmost windows if used for driving visibility.

tint/no tint....... it's a personal choice. In AZ it makes a huge difference with the heat and fading inside the truck..

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Standard No. 205 requires 70% light transmittance in all windows in passenger vehicles. Multipurpose passenger vehicles, motor homes, and trucks are required to have 70% light transmittance in the windshield and windows to the immediate right and left o f the driver and the rearmost windows if used for driving visibility.

tint/no tint....... it's a personal choice. In AZ it makes a huge difference with the heat and fading inside the truck..
I know this is only applicable to my state (GA), but I've had two cars towed and the drivers cited for tinted front window. Be careful of your local laws!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Are you just a student of obscure bureaucratic history or was that someone's evidence on some kind of tint apologist web site? Please note that the references in that 30+ year old memo are to sections of the USC that were repealed in 1994...

State laws are pretty uniform as far as windshields go, almost all prohibit any tint more than a few inches from the top. AZ isn't a special snowflake here, and allows tint only at the top of the windshield. ( https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00959-01.htm )

tint/no tint....... it's a personal choice
Just like drinking and driving.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
did this mod today. is there a trick to get the front clips to catch (closest to driver/passenger) on the tray?
No trick really, they can just be difficult to get to snap back in.

Make sure the clips in the center of the tray are fully seated or you won't be able to get the front to snap back in.

I'm trying to remember since it's been a while since I did this, but I think I just used the ball of my fist to tap the front back in.

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
70% is perfectly legal here in VA with a medical waiver. Just get your eye doctor to sign off on it, I've been tinting my windshields for over 20 years. It shows up on your registration as "sunshading" and then there is no problem with police or state inspectors. I agree it reduces your visibility some at night especially when it's raining, otherwise it's fine. It's a trade off to be able to see during the day without your eyes watering even with dark sunglasses.
§ 46.2-1053. Equipping certain motor vehicles with sun-shading or tinting films or applications allows for the medical waiver

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Who gives a shoot what the government regs say. Realisticly you can see better with a clear w/s.

Here is my phone holder sorry no pics. To start you have to have a carpet on your dash (protects from uv rays) and a Otter box for your phone. I took the belt holder for the Otter box and fashioned one of those black springy paper holders to the clip on the Otter box belt holder. I used rubber bands and wire till I got it to where I wanted it, I will epoxy it later. Then I clip the paper clip to the carpet at the hole for the tray. To stiffen up the carpet at that point I put more velcro on the dash. Ps an Otter box cover on your phone will protect your phone and you in case of a crash that occured because you didnt see that pedestrian or bicyclist wearing dark clothing. ?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Pop off the right side dash cover/vent and the right side cover down by the USB ports.

You don't have to fully remove the dash cover, just pop out the part near the radio.

I left it attached by the passenger door and had plenty of room to work.

You will be able to get in there easily.

The only difficult part (and it was not really difficult) was getting the cable to come out at the back of the tray there.

You have some room by the AC vent to move it around to get it to line up so that you can grab it.

I have one of THESE and thought I might need to use it but I never had to.

EDIT:

I went out and took some pics to add a bit more detail as to how I routed the cable.

I have the handy dandy trim tool kit but you'll only need 1 of the tools. The one on the top right. If you don't have the trim tool, you can probably use a butter knife just be careful not to scratch the dash.

49585497027_b54b0ff4a8_b.jpg

Start under the vent on the passenger side and pop the cover loose across the bottom. The top will come loose and the cover will swing out. No need to remove it completely.

49584762218_599d485d79_b.jpg

49584762148_620274cf61_b.jpg

You can see where my cable is routed next to the AC duct.

Now open the glovebox and remove the side cover. It just pulls straight out.

49585496522_c64ed761e1_b.jpg

49585260166_1b0f4194eb_b.jpg

Now you can see how to route the cable and get your fingers in there to guide it.

49585260291_65758fac16_b.jpg

Hope this helps out.
Pulled Amber into the back garage to do this and then realized there was a football game on that I wanted to watch. Well the Browns lost, I've been drinkin' and there's another game starting with one of my favorite players of all time so I'll get to this tomorrow. BTW, it's Brees.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Or in my case, I'm photophobic. Years ago I took a note from my optometrist to the SoS (DMV) and it is on my license that my windows need to be tinted. I have all of my vehicles tinted and in the few times I've ever been pulled over, it has never been an issue. I always make sure I'm wearing my prescription sunglasses during the day and if I'm ever pulled over the windows are going down as I'm pulling over just in case.
Sponsored