Phone mount suggestions? Products, and placement in the truck?

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
vent mounts are just a BAD idea period. i don't want ice cold or hot air blowing on my device

can't believe people actually buy these
In case you weren't able to see from the photos - the mount solution I posted about has a goose-neck. Allowing the device to be positioned *mostly* above the vents. And allows air to pass safely around and below the device. And frankly I've run straight mounted vent solutions for years with air blowing directly on to the back of devices without any issues in many different vehicles. Some people mount their phones up on the dash in direct sunlight which is way more harmful in terms of overheating.

Unless it's -15 degrees outside and you're blowing super hot air onto the device... I wouldn't worry about it. Especially wouldn't worry about AC - if anything, that will help cool the device and give you better performance.

Last edited:

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I got this from the Apple online store. Works great. Does not charge - but my iPhone 12 never needs charging

FA56AAFA-6535-4EBF-961E-788672EE2EA9.jpeg

BigBallin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor
Here's my solution for other's that have an iPhone. I wanted a solution that utilized the MagSafe feature of the new generation of iPhones instead of a clamp or an elaborate arm. I bought a mount on amazon that would hold the phone as high as possible away from blocking the vent. Mount Link Here.

Then I routed the cable behind the vent and down through the dash. The cable perfectly pokes out down below next to the 12v outlet so I can plug it in to an 18w fast charging port. Yes - I still have to plug into USB when I want to use CarPlay. But I plan on getting a wireless CarPlay adapter that I can just leave plugged in down near the USB tray so I won't have any wires. It's not perfect - you can see the cable routing creates a mm or so of extra panel gap in the vent. And it does block a few slats of vent air. But the Apple MagSafe charger holds the phone perfectly, and has not fallen off under any driving conditions.

IMG_7963.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_2935.JPEG
What is that on the mount you bought? It that an Apple mag mount that’s magnetic that sticks to it?

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
What is that on the mount you bought? It that an Apple mag mount that’s magnetic that sticks to it?
Exactly. Apple brand MagSafe magnetic "puck" stuck to the mount. The magnet is enough to hold the phone (without a case). Hasn't dropped a single time, even going over some gnarly California pot holes.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There is a company called Course Motor Sports that has a 10 minute install mount that works sweet. The vent comes off really easy and there is one bolt to unscrew then mount the mount. Good to go.
20201124_075430.jpg
20210115_094356.jpg
phone mount.jpg
Wow, this is slick! I watched the install video; this is exactly what I was looking for, a custom mount specifically for the Ranger. No way this mount is going to fail. Just ordered one! Here’s the link for anyone interested.

Click here for link
Sponsored