Phone mount suggestions? Products, and placement in the truck?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Exactly what I was thinking.

I leave mine in the cup holder, in the tray under the Cig Lighters*, or in the gap next to the E-Brake handle (aka - Drift-O-Matic 6000). I'm not exactly sure why I would need access to my phone in the truck any way. The cable reproduces my apps on the screen via Apple Car Play and any app that doesn't work on Car Play isn't really one I need.

I'd imagine by the next time I get a truck we'll have a wireless charging spot somewhere in the center console. Maybe like a slot you can slide the phone into so it is quasi protected and then magnetically retained in with just about 3/4 of an inch protruding to get your grip on. And Bluetooth support for Apple Car Play. So just by the very nature of your phone being with in 10 feet of your car.

Then again, as I age, the needs and responsibilities that required me to have a phone on me at all times have started to wane. I'll probably ditch the cell all together by the time I buy another truck. I can sit in my rocker and tell kids to get off my lawn.

Note * Yes kids use to be you could light a smoke off of those things and they are that size because it accommodates a cigar and then people would smoke in their car.
I live in a hands free State and it requires the phone to be mounted somewhere in the dash area.
Not that everyone does it but it is the law here.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I live in a hands free State and it requires the phone to be mounted somewhere in the dash area.
Even if you are using apple car play or the android equivalent? I could see that law applying to cars that pre-date Bluetooth in the stereo (still seems a little overreaching) but you can't just plug it in to the USB cable and let the phone free range in the tray under the AC controls?

Your state's Motto is literally "Live Free Or DIE" and you are letting them tell you that your car's hands free features aren't enough but that your phone has to be locked on a mount? Holy Hairy Ballz!

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I think you misunderstand the law, or have been poorly advised by someone who misunderstands the law. There is no requirement to mount a phone anywhere in the car. There is, however, specific language that clarifies the legality of using a hands-free device for navigation that is mounted in or on the dash.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/265/265-79-c.htm

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think you misunderstand the law, or have been poorly advised by someone who misunderstands the law. There is no requirement to mount a phone anywhere in the car. There is, however, specific language that clarifies the legality of using a hands-free device for navigation that is mounted in or on the dash.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/265/265-79-c.htm
I work in Mass so I need to abide both. Mass requires the phones to be securely mounted to the dash, windshield or center console. I suppose center console could mean the armrest area but I'm not sure. Either way, it can't be sitting in a cup holder unless it's sddcurely mounted. I guess the question is, what is considered the center console? I assumed it was the are where the radio and a.c./ heat controls are so maybe I'm wrong there.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/hands-free-law

I

Last edited:

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Even if you are using apple car play or the android equivalent? I could see that law applying to cars that pre-date Bluetooth in the stereo (still seems a little overreaching) but you can't just plug it in to the USB cable and let the phone free range in the tray under the AC controls?

Your state's Motto is literally "Live Free Or DIE" and you are letting them tell you that your car's hands free features aren't enough but that your phone has to be locked on a mount? Holy Hairy Ballz!
You are correct. I can't find anything about mounting of the phone in the new Hampshire law....mass does call it out though.
New hampshire, as far as i can tell, just requires it to be out of your hands.

To me, having it secured does make a lot of sense through. Last thing you need is little Suzy leaning over to get her cell phone that slipped out from between her legs...lol

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I would argue any ticket I got for this type of scenario. Once I drop the phone in the cup holder I don't touch it again unless I pull over to do so. I also consider it "mounted" since it is connected by USB cable with the cable securely wrapped around my gear shift a few times.

Gamecocks13

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Teacher
I couldn’t find anything that I really liked so I pieced one together. I didn’t want something that would cover my screen and I didn’t want something that would be in the way of the center dash tray. I found this air vent mount on Amazon (- I liked it because it moves out of the way of the vent, so the passenger can still get some airflow. Then with my iPhone 12 Pro Max I wanted something that I could just snap on with the MagSafe, so I got a MagSafe charger and added it to it. The process of creating this was fairly easy:
1) I unscrewed the magnet from the mount
2) scratched the remaining ball mount down on the ground to make it flat
3) attached the Apple MagSafe charger to the mount with 3M double sided adhesive
4) find the correct spot and install.
*I did add a little crazy glue once I found the correct angle that I wanted to the ball mount - I didn’t think it got tight enough and the weight of my phone, especially when it was in landscape view, kept turning the phone from side to side

I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with the cables yet. Especially if the MagSafe charger is not compatible with CarPlay, then you’d need to run both cables to the phone - totally unnecessary. But it’s not that big of a deal for me at the moment. Suggestions appreciated!

Overall, I’m very happy with it so far! It’s only been installed for about a week, but definitely happy!
B9739F2B-3CCE-4B29-8A6D-A030F727EBE3.jpeg
6CB6D5CF-429A-4341-A32D-3A413110F05C.jpeg

air vent car mount -Magnetic Phone Car Mount Lisen Vent Phone Holder, [Upgraded Clip] Stable Phone Car Holder Mount [360° Rotate Arm] Unobstructed Car Vent Phone Mount Compatible with 4-11 Inch Smartphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L7TCZJL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_lSd-FbF8GGQE1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I ended up piecing together a phone mount in order to get my iPhone 12 Pro Max exactly where I wanted it. It does not block the SYNC screen at all. I really didn't want a vent mount because I want all the heat and all the AC when they are needed. The phone case on it is a Pitaka Mag EZ case, which sticks very nicely and securely to the Pitaka magnetic mount. I opted for the non wireless charging mount since our Rangers have wired Car Play. Then I used a stick on mount from Amazon with a short extension to get the angle of the phone just right. I'll have to borrow the gf's phone to take a pic of it with my phone in place.

IMG_0828D.JPG

IMG_0829D.JPG

OP
OP
Aragorn

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
Here's my solution for other's that have an iPhone. I wanted a solution that utilized the MagSafe feature of the new generation of iPhones instead of a clamp or an elaborate arm. I bought a mount on amazon that would hold the phone as high as possible away from blocking the vent. Mount Link Here.

Then I routed the cable behind the vent and down through the dash. The cable perfectly pokes out down below next to the 12v outlet so I can plug it in to an 18w fast charging port. Yes - I still have to plug into USB when I want to use CarPlay. But I plan on getting a wireless CarPlay adapter that I can just leave plugged in down near the USB tray so I won't have any wires. It's not perfect - you can see the cable routing creates a mm or so of extra panel gap in the vent. And it does block a few slats of vent air. But the Apple MagSafe charger holds the phone perfectly, and has not fallen off under any driving conditions.

IMG_7963.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_2935.JPEG
Nice!

I recently bought a pretty common case for the iPhone 12, but I feel like it somewhat weakens my connection to the magsafe charger. Have you noticed any effects like that?

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
Nice!

I recently bought a pretty common case for the iPhone 12, but I feel like it somewhat weakens my connection to the magsafe charger. Have you noticed any effects like that?
No, I don't use a case. I use an iPhone 12 case-less so that my MagSafe accessories work better. You can get cases that have the MagSafe built into them from Apple (and soon other 3rd parties too). Or you could do something like THIS inside your existing case maybe?

Also a note for anyone using the exact setup I used. The magnetic phone mounts on amazon (like the one I'm using) are meant to be mounted with a metal sticker that you stick on the outside of your phone or case. The way I was using it with the magnet attached to the back of the metal MagSafe puck was doing some weird things with the charging. I think the additional magnets were causing some electromagnetic interference or something because my charge % was dropping while mounted.

So I took apart the mount, removed the rare earth magnets, and just glued the MagSafe puck semi-permanently to the mount itself. Now the charging works perfectly, albeit without the cool factor of the puck magnetically stuck in place.

OP
OP
Aragorn

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
No, I don't use a case. I use an iPhone 12 case-less so that my MagSafe accessories work better. You can get cases that have the MagSafe built into them from Apple (and soon other 3rd parties too). Or you could do something like THIS inside your existing case maybe?

Also a note for anyone using the exact setup I used. The magnetic phone mounts on amazon (like the one I'm using) are meant to be mounted with a metal sticker that you stick on the outside of your phone or case. The way I was using it with the magnet attached to the back of the metal MagSafe puck was doing some weird things with the charging. I think the additional magnets were causing some electromagnetic interference or something because my charge % was dropping while mounted.

So I took apart the mount, removed the rare earth magnets, and just glued the MagSafe puck semi-permanently to the mount itself. Now the charging works perfectly, albeit without the cool factor of the puck magnetically stuck in place.
Oh, weird. What was it doing to your phone's charging, specifically? I'm glad I haven't hit "order" yet!

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
Oh, weird. What was it doing to your phone's charging, specifically? I'm glad I haven't hit "order" yet!
I couldn't really nail it down to a science. Sometimes the phone would randomly "PING" and I'd look up and the screen showed the fullscreen charging ring as if I had just plugged it in for the first time. The weird thing was that my phone usually showed the charging indicator as if it was successfully charging whenever I checked. But we took a road trip a few weeks back, and I would stop every few hours and check, and the phone had dropped by almost 10% every time. Almost as if the charger was draining battery even when mounted.

I figured it was something to do with interference from the magnetic mount. So I took it apart, removed the rare earth magnets from inside, and instead glued the MagSafe puck to the (now magnet-less) mount. Same effect, just a little more permanent than I had originally planned for. But now the charging works and increases quickly when mounted. So I must have solved the issue.

IMG_8128.jpg

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
There is a company called Course Motor Sports that has a 10 minute install mount that works sweet. The vent comes off really easy and there is one bolt to unscrew then mount the mount. Good to go.
20201124_075430.jpg
20210115_094356.jpg
phone mount.jpg

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Here's my solution for other's that have an iPhone. I wanted a solution that utilized the MagSafe feature of the new generation of iPhones instead of a clamp or an elaborate arm. I bought a mount on amazon that would hold the phone as high as possible away from blocking the vent. Mount Link Here.

Then I routed the cable behind the vent and down through the dash. The cable perfectly pokes out down below next to the 12v outlet so I can plug it in to an 18w fast charging port. Yes - I still have to plug into USB when I want to use CarPlay. But I plan on getting a wireless CarPlay adapter that I can just leave plugged in down near the USB tray so I won't have any wires. It's not perfect - you can see the cable routing creates a mm or so of extra panel gap in the vent. And it does block a few slats of vent air. But the Apple MagSafe charger holds the phone perfectly, and has not fallen off under any driving conditions.

IMG_7963.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_2935.JPEG
vent mounts are just a BAD idea period. i don't want ice cold or hot air blowing on my device

can't believe people actually buy these
Sponsored