Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Army
Hey yall,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I can quick charge my phone (Google Pixel 3 XL) in the Ranger. The USB outlets don't seem to have enough wattage and I'm not sure the 12v outlet has the ability to charge it either (I nearly failed electrical engineering, so I definitely need someone smarter than me to help).

Bottom line, the Google Pixel 3 XL comes with an 18w USB-C Power Delivery wall charger that fast charges the phone. Anyone know if there is a car charger that can help me replicate this?

As bonus points, I would love to build a set up similar to this https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/so-i-got-tired-of-my-phone-cable-being-in-the-way.6345/

Can anyone suggest a wireless charging phone holder that would fit in the dash tray?

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what yall come up with!
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey yall,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I can quick charge my phone (Google Pixel 3 XL) in the Ranger. The USB outlets don't seem to have enough wattage and I'm not sure the 12v outlet has the ability to charge it either (I nearly failed electrical engineering, so I definitely need someone smarter than me to help).

Bottom line, the Google Pixel 3 XL comes with an 18w USB-C Power Delivery wall charger that fast charges the phone. Anyone know if there is a car charger that can help me replicate this?

As bonus points, I would love to build a set up similar to this https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/so-i-got-tired-of-my-phone-cable-being-in-the-way.6345/

Can anyone suggest a wireless charging phone holder that would fit in the dash tray?

You try plugging in your adapter to the 120v in the back seat?

OP
OP
BayouBeau

BayouBeau

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Army
You try plugging in your adapter to the 120v in the back seat?
My current adapter uses Quick Charge 3.0 instead of Power Delivery. I would need a new charger to fast charge, however, before I spend the money on one, I wanted to see if anyone knows what the 12v was capable of delivering.

I believe to fast charge my phone needs at least 10ws.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My current adapter uses Quick Charge 3.0 instead of Power Delivery. I would need a new charger to fast charge, however, before I spend the money on one, I wanted to see if anyone knows what the 12v was capable of delivering.

I believe to fast charge my phone needs at least 10ws.
I'm sure the 12v + amperage coming directly from the battery can blow up just about any phone LOL...

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hey yall,

I haven't seen any vehicle capable of fast charging a phone....outside of a 120v port as someone else suggested

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I haven't seen any vehicle capable of fast charging a phone....outside of a 120v port as someone else suggested
mine fast charges fine with a 12v adapter, and there are a lot of those for different charging requirements. I don't generally bother because I mostly only care if I'm on a long trip in which case I'm plugged into android auto and also don't particularly want it to fast charge anyway (makes the battery heat up more and there's no point if I'm not actually in a hurry to charge the phone)

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
I use this cable in the front USB and it seems to fast charge my OnePlus7 just fine:
Link

It's the perfect length for my phone sitting in this:
Link

And I also have this for passengers which is rock solid and fast charging:
Link

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I use this cable in the front USB and it seems to fast charge my OnePlus7 just fine:
Link

It's the perfect length for my phone sitting in this:
Link

And I also have this for passengers which is rock solid and fast charging:
Link
Links/images attention coming through for some reason... Thumbs up for using a OnePlus, tho! I'm using a OnePlus 6T, myself. I love it!

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Links/images attention coming through for some reason... Thumbs up for using a OnePlus, tho! I'm using a OnePlus 6T, myself. I love it!
Yeah, I tried to just add the links as text and this new forum converted them, but they weren't displaying properly so I inserted them this way

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I have a OnePlus 7T, and if this cable can charge quickly that's definitely going on my truck!

For the OP, I can tell you I previously had a Pixel 2 when I got my truck, and it did not trigger any rapid charge mode on any USB port with several cables I had.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
The stock USB ports in the dash are good enough for at least up to 2A (maybe 2.1 or 2.4A), as they can charge either my phone or tablet while still powering the screen and other things (high power draw) to the point I don't have to worry about it going dead and actually gaining a charge.

The actual 12V plugs are fused enough to take nearly any "fast charge" cigarette adapter and running a full fast charge off from them too. I have a 3 port (2x2.4A and 1x2.1A) adapter that runs just fine and supplies the required power to devices as they're plugged in.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just find the adapter that gives you what you want if the stock USB ports aren't an option.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I have the exact same phone. USB won't do it, maybe slow charge if anything. I always charge it from the 120 in the back for rapid charge and it works

Paul Moline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab 4X4
I have a Pixel 3XL and I use this charger, rapid charges from the 12v ports.

Sponsored