First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Well that does it for me. Taking off and returning tomorrow!

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
I think the black ones should be avoided...not enough bearing area...McGard for the black one?
you can see the stock two piece lug nut that is prone to swelling. I got rid of these on my chrome package with ones off Ebay that have the same bearing area as the OEM lug nuts and are plated chrome. JMO Cone angle on both are 60°.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That was my feeling. I’ll be swapping the factory ones back on and torquing them properly prior to leaving for Texas Thursday morning.

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
I found this on eBay showing different style lug seats. I searched an didn't see any of the "factory style bulge" just the acorn bulge.

lugnuts.jpg
I can’t find any 12x1.5 “factory style bulge” from Gorilla for sale tho. Their website sucks on my iPhone and is impossible to navigate as well.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I can’t find any 12x1.5 “factory style bulge” from Gorilla for sale tho. Their website sucks on my iPhone and is impossible to navigate as well.
I agree. I can't believe it is this difficult to find OEM "like" black lug nuts for the Ranger.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Bruce,

Those lug nuts look perfect.

I purchased special sockets for my breaker bar and torque wrench that have inserts to protect the lug nut and the wheel. Not for use with an air impact wrench. Price is right IMO.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,
Where did you find those special sockets?
I'm about to rotate the tires and don't want to mess anything up.

Appreciate the insight.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Well, until Mcguard comes up with the proper angle/length in black I'm gonna pass. Really dont want to add worrying that one day on the highway one of my wheels is going to pass me to everything else taking up space in my head.

I have a magnetic metallic with machine rims and black would look good along with a quality black tail pipe. But all the ones I looked at had finishes that I doubted would last the test of time.

Now we have a amendment on the IL ballot this November to raise our income tax to cover the over a decade of no balanced budget, decades of fraud/waste/abuse at every level of government.
Thx Governor Prick-ster! Need to save money to leave this awful state!!

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Well, until Mcguard comes up with the proper angle/length in black I'm gonna pass. Really dont want to add worrying that one day on the highway one of my wheels is going to pass me to everything else taking up space in my head.

I have a magnetic metallic with machine rims and black would look good along with a quality black tail pipe. But all the ones I looked at had finishes that I doubted would last the test of time.

Now we have a amendment on the IL ballot this November to raise our income tax to cover the over a decade of no balanced budget, decades of fraud/waste/abuse at every level of government.
Thx Governor Prick-ster! Need to save money to leave this awful state!!
I believe I'm going to wait for the same. Seeing the amount of contact surface difference, I was worried enough to pull them and put the factory lug nuts back on...retorquing them properly of course.

I just know that these will eventually swell and separate.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I believe I'm going to wait for the same. Seeing the amount of contact surface difference, I was worried enough to pull them and put the factory lug nuts back on...retorquing them properly of course.

I just know that these will eventually swell and separate.
not fond of the oem lugs, yr 2 on my wifes old 2016 escape nothing but probs..

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I had planned to change mine out prior to delivery when the dealer installed new tires. My service advisor said our lug nuts are good quality made by McGard and he didn't know of any problems.

I left them for now.

After seeing pics here, they indeed appear to be the two piece design which is why I was going to change them in the first place.

My '94 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee came with crappy lug nuts. Prior to changing them, I had to carry a 4-way lug wrench to make sure I had the correct size depending on whether the cap had fallen off or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
I'm not a fan either. The 2-pc lug nuts on my last two Escapes swelled and when I changed tires on my last one at Costco they informed me that they would not do the next service if I did not have replacements for them ready to go.

I want a viable replacement in black, but would really like to stay with the same footprint/contact if possible.
Sponsored