First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You mean you don't go by "UHGADUHGA'S"!?

Yes as mentioned above 100FT LBS. If you got a.good torque wrench then please.make sure there is some twist in the lug when you go to torque it down. If it does not move and the wrench say you are at spec I can promise you are.most likely past it. I have seen this too many times in the automotive world with individuals not understanding this.

OP
OP

RK Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Toolmaker
You mean you don't go by "UHGADUHGA'S"!?

Yes as mentioned above 100FT LBS. If you got a.good torque wrench then please.make sure there is some twist in the lug when you go to torque it down. If it does not move and the wrench say you are at spec I can promise you are.most likely past it. I have seen this too many times in the automotive world with individuals not understanding this.
I do have a torque wrench, and when I do not have the torque spec readily handy, I go by my “national torque specs” that I always go by………….“”Almost Stripping Tight””

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
90lbs...worked for every car/truck I've owned...what ever you choose to set at, I recheck the torque after the first 10 miles then 20 then another 20miles...3-4 times...after that, the lugs should stay at torque set...

Last edited:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
90lbs...worked for every car/truck I've owned...what ever you choose to set at, I recheck the torque after the first 10 miles then 20 then another 20miles...3-4 times...after that, the lugs should stay at torque set...
I have been doing that wrong.. yikes. I check after 500 miles to see if any have backed off after a rotation, etc.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have been doing that wrong.. yikes. I check after 500 miles to see if any have backed off after a rotation, etc.
Yikes!...were they noticeably loose? When I check after the first 10 miles, most needed a slight more torque for it the wrench to click...same the second time...one might still be slightly off after the 3rd...the 4th check and everything is tight...I can go for 10k and everything will still be snug...

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Yikes!...were they noticeably loose? When I check after the first 10 miles, most needed a slight more torque for it the wrench to click...same the second time...one might still be slightly off after the 3rd...the 4th check and everything is tight...I can go for 10k and everything will still be snug...
Waiting that long I've only ever found one lug that backed off a bit and not on the Ranger. They have always clicked at the second check. On the Ranger, only rotated a few times so far. Getting close to 30k miles when I will do it again, but maybe double check sooner than 500 after initial torque.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
will the 2 piece lug nut hold up to that after 2 or 3 years ?
I installed 1 piece lug nuts after the 1st tire rotation.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I've always stuck with 90lbs too, At 100lbs, you're killing yourself if you ever have to loosen them on the side of the road with the short wrench they give you. The main thing is having them all torqued with equal force.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I've always stuck with 90lbs too, At 100lbs, you're killing yourself if you ever have to loosen them on the side of the road with the short wrench they give you. The main thing is having them all torqued with equal force.
That short wrench is pretty bad. I always carry the necessary backup tools…

IMG_3194.jpeg

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I do torque to 100lb, but as posted by @DukeCanBuildit , I also have a breaker bar and the same UHGADUHGA tool.

As for the OE 2-piece nuts holding up, I find that if you only use a 6-point socket and hand tools they hold up rather well but use a 12-point and/or an impact and they last a couple rotations if you're lucky.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
That short wrench is pretty bad. I always carry the necessary backup tools…

IMG_3194.jpeg
I don't change my flat tires, don't even carry my spare 95% of the time. I carry a plug kit and 12V pump. My record time getting back on the road is 13 minutes and I don't even break a sweat.
Plus I've saved countless others stranded with flats too.
Sponsored