First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I’m looking to switch to black lug nuts, but wanted to check with the experts here to make sure these are the correct size as the ones that come with our trucks. I’m big on safety and don’t want my wheels falling off! Thanks!

8ED357AA-1DE9-46A8-9EDE-EDB9071A2FDE.jpeg
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
As Dan said diameter and pitch are good, but they don't look deep enough to me. You may not get seating pressure without blowing the caps.

Also to note that is really cheap for lug nuts. If they're too cheap, the steel will be soft and coating thin, leading to early rust.

McGard are my choice, Gorilla have a following as well.

https://shop.mcgard.com/black-cone-...uts-4-wheel-locks-1-key-and-key-storage-pouch

Last edited:
OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
As Dan said diameter and pitch are good, but They don't look deep enough to me. You may not get seating pressure without blowing the caps.

Also to note that is really cheap for lug nuts. If they're to cheap, the steel will be soft and coating thin, leading to early rust.

https://shop.mcgard.com/black-cone-...uts-4-wheel-locks-1-key-and-key-storage-pouch
I’ve read that those are no good. They don’t have that 60 degree cone that’s needed from what I understood

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
As Dan said diameter and pitch are good, but They don't look deep enough to me. You may not get seating pressure without blowing the caps.

Also to note that is really cheap for lug nuts. If they're to cheap, the steel will be soft and coating thin, leading to early rust.

Was gonna say, get McGards or don’t get nothin. Jeg’s has the best price IMO. Pricier, heavier, lifetime guarantee.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I’ve read that those are no good. They don’t have that 60 degree cone that’s needed from what I understood
You've heard these McGards aren't good?

I took that link from another thread on here and put it in my to do list. I'm sure it was a member who said they had bought that set, and they worked great, which is why I took the lazy link, instead of checking specs myself. They appear correct, and note as coned seating. What was the bad you heard?

I've had McGards on 3 other vehicles, never a complaint.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman

I took that link from another thread on here and put it in my to do list. I'm sure it was a member who said they had bought that set, and they worked great, which is why I took the lazy link, instead of checking specs myself. They appear correct, and note as coned seating. What was the bad you heard?

Yeah I read that on here actually by the gentlemen that used to be a Ford engineer. I will see if I can find the thread again and I’ll post it.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman

Here is the thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/colored-lug-nuts.2184/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I got black gorilla on my rig. Gorilla Lug Nuts, 12mm x 1.50 Thread, Bulge Acorn, Black, 12x1.5, 91138BC

These use the whole 60 degree face and are deep enough for our studs

Edit: they now make 3/4 or 13/16 hex sizes. Ford is 3/4. It’s a different part number then what I posted

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Thanks, that is interesting. I didn't even notice the McGards don't have a flared seat, even they are the correct seating angle.
Yeah I am glad I read that because I actually had ordered those McGards and then immediately canceled my order after reading that

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired

Big Blue

First Name
Lee