Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not insinuating they re-invent the wheel here Phil
just allowing a mechanic to do mechanic things. basic stuff they learn in the beginning of school.
Surely Ford doesn't have that control over independent dealerships and liability is pretty minimal when you follow an accepted practice to fix a wiring issue.
If two pins in a connector are buggered to the point they wont connect, you create a jumper wire that bypasses the poor junction. And next month you replace the new connector when you get it, simple and effective. If the backshell is broken, tape it up.
Seems like a proper and safe customer service response...heaven forbid they tell you that you can park it in their back lot for 4 weeks and wait.
Hi Folks,

Instead getting into a flame war. Let me outline a process that Ford follows. By way of background we have a Service Garage and Service Engineers. Their prime responsibility is to create repair processes for servicing Ford and Lincoln Vehicles. When a Safety Recall is determined by the company, Automotive Safety Office is involved, the appropriate engineers are involved in understanding the problem. The engineers determine what went wrong. Then Automotive Safety with review of our OGC, Office of General Council alert the NHTSA to the possible recall. Then when it is determined by NHTSA that a recall is required or the Automotive Company tells NHTSA that the company is voluntarily recalling the vehicles involved, the Service Engineers then get involved in developing a process and procedure by which the vehicles involved are diagnosed and more importantly, repaired by process that are clearly defined. This info is then transmitted to the dealers for their mechanics to follow. In no way shape or form does the process allow the mechanic to deviated from the process. A dealership mechanic may determine a better way to accomplish a repair and submit it to Ford Service Engineering for consideration, but until Ford adopts the suggestion, the defined process is to be followed. Unapproved "jumper wires" are not part of the equation. To suggest Ford leaves this up to the dealer is clearly stated by someone that is unaware of the process of such a serious problem being addressed by a auto manufacturer.

This is just a "Cliffs Notes" version of what happens behind the scenes.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
not according to the wording of the recall
I pushed my pin back in and taped the wire to the one next to it, securing it in place, to ensure I can safely drive it until a hard shell is available.
This is copy and pasted from the dealer bulletin for FSA 19S43
RENTAL VEHICLES • PASS INSPECTION: Vehicles that pass inspection are NOT affected and are not approved for rental vehicles. Refer to the 19S43 technical instructions for additional information. • FAIL INSPECTION: For vehicles that fail inspection and the applicable wiring pigtail kit is not available, submit a VIN-specific contact, along with a photo of the hard-shell connector showing terminal push out, via the SSSC Web Contact Site. o A ten-digit approval code is required from the SSSC for rental vehicles. o If rental vehicles are needed beyond 1/3/2020, dealers will have to contact SSSC for an extension. • Part orders will be taken, but will be held by SSSC until sufficient quantities are available, which is expected by early January. Approval for all rental vehicles for this program will end at that time. • Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Prior approval is required from the SSSC.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
thats a specific dealer bulletin that delves into more detail than the info I've seen so far from the released recall notices.
I forget not everyone has access to full dealer and technical bulletins sometimes.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
So thankful for this forum!! Otherwise I would have never checked FordPass and discovered my VIN is affected until January.

GatorBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Took my '19 Lariat to the dealer yesterday for a radio problem, the SXM will not select. My service advisor called me and said I should come in this morning for a loaner car He said getting the parts might take a few days AND there's a recall regarding the tail lights. When I got there they had a 2020 XLT ready for me and the service guy told me it could be a month or more until I can get my truck back because the tail light fix was on back order! I told him that's ridiculous and I'd bring it back when they had the part.
Nope, he said, can't let you have your truck until it's fixed as we'd be liable if the brake lights went out and there was an accident.
Really???
Now to be sure, I'm glad they didn't give me some little shitbox for a loaner, but I am paying for a loaded Lariat with Navi and leather and I'm in a pretty basic XLT. No garage door opener and no window sticker that opens the gate at work. So do I have a complaint there? This IS an inconvenience. Maybe Ford owes me some cash for my troubles. Not sure if I should just say OK and be quiet or make a stink. What do you all think?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Took my '19 Lariat to the dealer yesterday for a radio problem, the SXM will not select. My service advisor called me and said I should come in this morning for a loaner car He said getting the parts might take a few days AND there's a recall regarding the tail lights. When I got there they had a 2020 XLT ready for me and the service guy told me it could be a month or more until I can get my truck back because the tail light fix was on back order! I told him that's ridiculous and I'd bring it back when they had the part.
Nope, he said, can't let you have your truck until it's fixed as we'd be liable if the brake lights went out and there was an accident.
Really???
Now to be sure, I'm glad they didn't give me some little shitbox for a loaner, but I am paying for a loaded Lariat with Navi and leather and I'm in a pretty basic XLT. No garage door opener and no window sticker that opens the gate at work. So do I have a complaint there? This IS an inconvenience. Maybe Ford owes me some cash for my troubles. Not sure if I should just say OK and be quiet or make a stink. What do you all think?
On the flip side you are putting miles on a truck that is not your own. So your truck isn't getting those miles. But it still sucks that you can't drive your own truck.

I've not had any problems with my tail lights or anything else really, so I'm a bit hesitant to take it in just yet for the very reason you had. I'm concerned they will need to keep my truck if they find something and the parts aren't available.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The recall popped up on my Ford Pass the other day my taillights are working fine so I have no worries yes I will have the recall done when the parts come in.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Really???
You might check local laws but i believe it's unlawful for them to not allow you to take your vehicle. Another option is calling Ford Motor Companies customer service and asking what they can do for the fact that you're making a payment on a truck this month that you can't drive.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My late 2018 build date XLT was checked for the recall when I had it in for yet another brake rotor turning party, they said it was unaffected. Sorry to all who are having problems with a basic function such as tail lights, brakes, etc...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
im curious as it seems daily that others are getting the notices popping up on their Ford Pass.

in todays technology age, I would assume one press of the button and everyones notified.
Is that not happening? are they adding to the numbers as they investigate more, finding more trucks may be at risk? or are you guys just opening it and seeing it?

They send out certain numbers to avoid the deluge of people coming to the dealer all at once. Starting with people who are more at risk for the problem, or earlier build trucks. (This depends on the recall obviously).

It really doesn't make sense to send 2 million recalls when you only have 75K parts at the warehouse.

SoCalRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
The recall notice popped up on my Ford Pass app a couple of weeks ago. I was planning to deal with it next week, but I was on the freeway and another motorist alerted me that my taillights were not working (thank goodness for the cab brake light, or I would have had no brake lights). I then noticed my turn indicator was flashing quickly, which I hadn't really noticed before. I took my truck into the dealer immediately and a few hours later got a call saying that it had passed the recall inspection and I could come pick it up. I asked if they had verified that the tail lights were functional, and there was silence on the line. The tech then said he would call me back. A half hour later he called back and said the lights were not working, and the recall part had in fact failed, and they would need to keep the truck longer to fix it. He couldn't explain why it passed inspection at first. I have the truck back now and it's working fine, but I'm fairly certain they didn't even perform the inspection in the first instance. So I recommend you keep a close eye on your tail lights, and insist when you take the truck in for inspection that they take care to actually make sure the part hasn't failed or will fail.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I pushed my pin back in and taped the wire to the one next to it, securing it in place, to ensure I can safely drive it until a hard shell is available.
This is copy and pasted from the dealer bulletin for FSA 19S43
RENTAL VEHICLES • PASS INSPECTION: Vehicles that pass inspection are NOT affected and are not approved for rental vehicles. Refer to the 19S43 technical instructions for additional information. • FAIL INSPECTION: For vehicles that fail inspection and the applicable wiring pigtail kit is not available, submit a VIN-specific contact, along with a photo of the hard-shell connector showing terminal push out, via the SSSC Web Contact Site. o A ten-digit approval code is required from the SSSC for rental vehicles. o If rental vehicles are needed beyond 1/3/2020, dealers will have to contact SSSC for an extension. • Part orders will be taken, but will be held by SSSC until sufficient quantities are available, which is expected by early January. Approval for all rental vehicles for this program will end at that time. • Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Prior approval is required from the SSSC.
Thanks for this I updated the original post

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
@Willcuts93 do you have a little better pic of where this connector is located under the truck? I'd like to inspect mine myself.
For those who are interested, I have attached the full recall document, which contains detailed images and the full detailed service procedure. It might be of interest to anyone who wants to do a self-inspection following the exact Ford-specified procedure.

I found the document on this page:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/4846/safety-recall-19s43-rear-tail-lamps-2019-ford-ranger

Attachments

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
im curious as it seems daily that others are getting the notices popping up on their Ford Pass.

in todays technology age, I would assume one press of the button and everyones notified.
Is that not happening? are they adding to the numbers as they investigate more, finding more trucks may be at risk? or are you guys just opening it and seeing it?
I just saw mine a couple days ago, but it was sent to me November 21. I just happened to see it.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just saw mine a couple days ago, but it was sent to me November 21. I just happened to see it.
For me, if the truck itself posts a message (like an error code or warning), the app posts a notification in the Android status bar which I notice right away, but if it's a message from Ford, even a recall apparently, it doesn't do that, I don't see it until I open the app for some other reason. I'm not sure if it behaves differently on iPhones.
Sponsored