Safety Recall 19S43 - Select 2019 MY Ranger Vehicles Rear Lamps Issue

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by Beef_Stew, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RANGER PRIDE

RANGER PRIDE Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
    they only listed January because they have no stock on parts, or a limited one at least. I suspect they have dumped a supplier, and are gearing up a new one. regardless, a priority requirement can be escalated I'm sure.

if its just a simple pin pushed out, the repair is easy, push it back in.
    if the backshell is damaged, then you're priority on the list for replacement parts.
    if it's completely not working, you're high priority for a fix, even if it has to be rigged up differently in the mean time while you wait for proper parts.

2. P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
    Engineer Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    Hi RP,

Not sure I agree with rigged up differently, unless it is a Ford authorized "rig up". Can't control the dealers and they may try something, but likely they assume the liability as Ford did not concur with the "rig up".

Best,
    Phil Schilke
    Ranger Vehicle Engineering
    Ford Motor Co. Retired

3. MT19RANGER

MT19RANGER Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JERRY
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat
    Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
    Garage Profiles:
    Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of January 6, 2020.

4. RANGER PRIDE

Vehicle(s):
    I'm not insinuating they re-invent the wheel here Phil
    just allowing a mechanic to do mechanic things. basic stuff they learn in the beginning of school.
    Surely Ford doesn't have that control over independent dealerships and liability is pretty minimal when you follow an accepted practice to fix a wiring issue.
    If two pins in a connector are buggered to the point they wont connect, you create a jumper wire that bypasses the poor junction. And next month you replace the new connector when you get it, simple and effective. If the backshell is broken, tape it up.
    Seems like a proper and safe customer service response...heaven forbid they tell you that you can park it in their back lot for 4 weeks and wait.

5. Willcuts93

Willcuts93 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    '96 5.0 Ranger '14 fusion '19 Lariat Ranger
    Ford will pay for the rental car so you can park it out back for a month.

6. P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
    Engineer Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    Hi Folks,

Instead getting into a flame war. Let me outline a process that Ford follows. By way of background we have a Service Garage and Service Engineers. Their prime responsibility is to create repair processes for servicing Ford and Lincoln Vehicles. When a Safety Recall is determined by the company, Automotive Safety Office is involved, the appropriate engineers are involved in understanding the problem. The engineers determine what went wrong. Then Automotive Safety with review of our OGC, Office of General Council alert the NHTSA to the possible recall. Then when it is determined by NHTSA that a recall is required or the Automotive Company tells NHTSA that the company is voluntarily recalling the vehicles involved, the Service Engineers then get involved in developing a process and procedure by which the vehicles involved are diagnosed and more importantly, repaired by process that are clearly defined. This info is then transmitted to the dealers for their mechanics to follow. In no way shape or form does the process allow the mechanic to deviated from the process. A dealership mechanic may determine a better way to accomplish a repair and submit it to Ford Service Engineering for consideration, but until Ford adopts the suggestion, the defined process is to be followed. Unapproved "jumper wires" are not part of the equation. To suggest Ford leaves this up to the dealer is clearly stated by someone that is unaware of the process of such a serious problem being addressed by a auto manufacturer.

This is just a "Cliffs Notes" version of what happens behind the scenes.

Best,
    Phil Schilke
    Ranger Vehicle Engineering
    Ford Motor Co. Retired

Lunchbox88, Nutty 5.0 and fusseli like this.
  7. RANGER PRIDE

Vehicle(s):
    not according to the wording of the recall

8. RANGER PRIDE

Vehicle(s):
    thanks for the info Phil, you at least have some experience to back up your comments unlike some others.
    The issue i have is Ford states in rather poor fashion in the recall, that at least your high mount brake light still works. I guess in a legal loophole sort of way, thats the only requirement for the HTA in most areas. no different than a motorcycle back end.
    this in no way solves the issue and sounds like a very poorly thought out solution to the problem especially if parts supp;ly is an issue
    if these engineers havent thought of a standard quick fix such a s a jumper wire, perhaps they're over engineering the solution

9. Willcuts93

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    I pushed my pin back in and taped the wire to the one next to it, securing it in place, to ensure I can safely drive it until a hard shell is available.
    This is copy and pasted from the dealer bulletin for FSA 19S43
    RENTAL VEHICLES • PASS INSPECTION: Vehicles that pass inspection are NOT affected and are not approved for rental vehicles. Refer to the 19S43 technical instructions for additional information. • FAIL INSPECTION: For vehicles that fail inspection and the applicable wiring pigtail kit is not available, submit a VIN-specific contact, along with a photo of the hard-shell connector showing terminal push out, via the SSSC Web Contact Site. o A ten-digit approval code is required from the SSSC for rental vehicles. o If rental vehicles are needed beyond 1/3/2020, dealers will have to contact SSSC for an extension. • Part orders will be taken, but will be held by SSSC until sufficient quantities are available, which is expected by early January. Approval for all rental vehicles for this program will end at that time. • Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Prior approval is required from the SSSC.

10. RANGER PRIDE

Vehicle(s):
    thats a specific dealer bulletin that delves into more detail than the info I've seen so far from the released recall notices.

11. Willcuts93

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    I forget not everyone has access to full dealer and technical bulletins sometimes.

12. ToothRanger

ToothRanger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
    Garage Profiles:
    So thankful for this forum!! Otherwise I would have never checked FordPass and discovered my VIN is affected until January.

Tracy Bowman likes this.
  13. GatorBob

GatorBob Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Tacoma Limited
    Took my '19 Lariat to the dealer yesterday for a radio problem, the SXM will not select. My service advisor called me and said I should come in this morning for a loaner car He said getting the parts might take a few days AND there's a recall regarding the tail lights. When I got there they had a 2020 XLT ready for me and the service guy told me it could be a month or more until I can get my truck back because the tail light fix was on back order! I told him that's ridiculous and I'd bring it back when they had the part.
    Nope, he said, can't let you have your truck until it's fixed as we'd be liable if the brake lights went out and there was an accident.
    Really???
    Now to be sure, I'm glad they didn't give me some little shitbox for a loaner, but I am paying for a loaded Lariat with Navi and leather and I'm in a pretty basic XLT. No garage door opener and no window sticker that opens the gate at work. So do I have a complaint there? This IS an inconvenience. Maybe Ford owes me some cash for my troubles. Not sure if I should just say OK and be quiet or make a stink. What do you all think?

14. RedlandRanger

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
    Garage Profiles:
    On the flip side you are putting miles on a truck that is not your own. So your truck isn't getting those miles. But it still sucks that you can't drive your own truck.

I've not had any problems with my tail lights or anything else really, so I'm a bit hesitant to take it in just yet for the very reason you had. I'm concerned they will need to keep my truck if they find something and the parts aren't available.

15. EcoRanger

EcoRanger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    The recall popped up on my Ford Pass the other day my taillights are working fine so I have no worries yes I will have the recall done when the parts come in.

Tracy Bowman likes this.