Report your MPG

lloydr1206

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew
I just got my ranger a little over a month ago. It is cold here and I use remote start often but I am averaging 16.2 mpg through three fill ups. It’s not great and not what I expected but I am hoping it’s a remote start issue.
Sponsored

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
With a grand total of 1400km, my truck says 18mpg but my last hand calculation was at 13mpg:oops::oops::oops:.... It was only a 1/3 tank. Curious when summer shows up.
Maybe my wife reset it. She would do something like that :crackup: or more likely a simple error on my part.
In the late 70's, a guy I worked with bought a VW rabbit diesel. EVERY DAY, all we heard was exactly what his current MPG was. One of his good time buddies decided to shut him up and started adding a gallon of fuel every morning after he got to work. As you would expect he couldn't believe that he was getting 85 mpg but was positive it was correct because of his exact calculations. After a couple weeks like this Ole Good Time started siphoning about a gallon every day. After a couple weeks like that, he was at the dealer throwing a fit that he had been getting 85mpg but now it was down to 15mpg. Don't think anyone ever told him but we didn't hear any more about it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In the late 70's, a guy I worked with bought a VW rabbit diesel. EVERY DAY, all we heard was exactly what his current MPG was. One of his good time buddies decided to shut him up and started adding a gallon of fuel every morning after he got to work. As you would expect he couldn't believe that he was getting 85 mpg but was positive it was correct because of his exact calculations. After a couple weeks like this Ole Good Time started siphoning about a gallon every day. After a couple weeks like that, he was at the dealer throwing a fit that he had been getting 85mpg but now it was down to 15mpg. Don't think anyone ever told him but we didn't hear any more about it.
HI Paul,

In the early 70s...we had the Arab Oil Embargo. Ford responded with the Pinto MPG. What a POS. Anemic 1.6L Kent four banger with a carburetor the size of a small thimble. Yeah...good MPG....acceleration timed with an hour glass....

Thank you GM with your 350 cid diesel...you single-handedly made the diesel car/truck unpopular. I had the pleasure of helping a neighbor rebuild one of these diesels...(he was clueless so I rebuilt it for him)...What a POS. Because it was a 350 Diesel...price of parts to rebuild were through the roof.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Something I have been experimenting with is driving in S mode. My last hand calculation was 22.3 which was spot on with dash readout & obviously winter blend 87 oct. I have noticed having a lighter foot & throttle being more sensitive you need less throttle to gain speed & keep up with the flow of traffic. Seems to work for me. Another road trip tomorrow so I will see how it goes. This is not all highway driving but a good mix. :) I like more responsive throttle.:like:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Something I have been experimenting with is driving in S mode. My last hand calculation was 22.3 which was spot on with dash readout & obviously winter blend 87 oct. I have noticed having a lighter foot & throttle being more sensitive you need less throttle to gain speed & keep up with the flow of traffic. Seems to work for me. Another road trip tomorrow so I will see how it goes. This is not all highway driving but a good mix. :) I like more responsive throttle.:like:
Now get a tune and it'll be like S mode on steroids. ? Plus you'll get better mpg too, it's a win/win.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Now get a tune and it'll be like S mode on steroids. ? Plus you'll get better mpg too, it's a win/win.
It's so cold here my girl looks like a dirty little whore :giggle: So a tune is not in my hearing aids:blush:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Well was at the pump a few days ago and 93 was saying try me you’ll be glad you did. Well this pony all of a sudden was ready for racing. I’m still pushing the peddle like it’s a hard boiled egg but in no time I’m flying! Then reality sets in, I really want to keep using this octane but I also realize the gas prices of today will soon be on the rise again, and not just by a little. So I’m going to keep the fun going while I can until it starts to break the bank. Then I can go back to being grandpa again on 87! I lived the dream anyways, just once! ?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Well was at the pump a few days ago and 93 was saying try me you’ll be glad you did. Well this pony all of a sudden was ready for racing. I’m still pushing the peddle like it’s a hard boiled egg but in no time I’m flying! Then reality sets in, I really want to keep using this octane but I also realize the gas prices of today will soon be on the rise again, and not just by a little. So I’m going to keep the fun going while I can until it starts to break the bank. Then I can go back to being grandpa again on 87! I lived the dream anyways, just once! ?
I've been running 91 since my dealer tank ran out. Can't get 93 here in SoCal, and it's expensive, but the difference is enough that I don't mind. The smiles per gallon are worth it!

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry no tune for me. I guess I am getting mellow with age. Having enough fun with it as it is. Did not buy it to think of it as a mustang. Had my super fun in the 70's with my 70 Mach 1. Pushed the limit way to many times but the car ran flawlessly. Still going to run 87 oct unless towing. Todays road trip may not be as promising as we had some bad weather & it is super cold so there will be some warm up time. :like: also still no damper getting my exercise :muscle:

Tri-J

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
No long trips yet, but with 600 miles on the odo, the average is showing 22.6mpg.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Did a 240 mile trip in the Ranger on roads that mostly had 55 mph speed limits.. (which I adhere to). Almost got 29 mpg... 28.9 actually.

That's pretty much the best mileage we've got on an extended trip in our FX4 SuperCab with 13,000+ miles on the odometer, running 93 octane Shell gas.

Also worth noting.. this is in the mountains... so there was considerable elevation gains too... let's say 4,000 feet (swag).

Last edited:

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Its INCREDIBLE how much difference using the adaptive cruise around town has on MPG. When I use cruise as much as possible, and accelerate relatively gently, I can regularly get 23-25 MPG and thats even around town.

But if I use the gas pedal the whole time (not even driving aggressively) instead of ACC, I'll get more like 18.
Sponsored