Report your MPG

Wasatch Wranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I haven't had my Ranger for very long (a week) but It says I'm only averaging 14.5 mpg. It is lifted and has 33 x 12.5 mud tires, so that's gonna kill some efficiency for sure. Does it sound about right for those tires? I'm planning on going narrower and all-terrains when these are done, hoping that helps my MPG's.
Sponsored

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
One-way road trip yesterday. Speed average of 95-115 km/h, 87 octane Shell, stock 2019 Lariat FX4 but am running smaller winter tires (16 rims). Ambient outside temp ranged from 3 Celsius where I left to -3 Celsius at my destination. Half the trip was into rising elevation changes, and pretty well all highway (as per the average speed above).

Below are the 3 different ways to see (I typically stay in the view of kilometers per liter):

Jan 17 - MPG.jpg

Jan 17 - km per L.jpg

Jan 17 - L per 100km.jpg

No complaints here.

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Can anyone confirm that there is a "break in" tune for the first 1000 miles? It seems pretty remarkable that there are such vast improvements. Or do we attribute it to new engine, summer gas, etc.? Would be neat to know if Ford does in fact put that in there on new vehicles.
I have 447 miles on my Ranger. After reading the manual, yes I read it, it said not to tow for 1000 miles, and that the computer would learn my driving style within the same amountnof time. So says the manual. I have been getting 18 mpg, computer says 19.8mpg ,I have a lead foot 90 town 10 highway xlt 4x2 87 octane auto stop OFF.

Last edited:

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I'm on m,y 4th tank, averaging 21.4 mpg, 30% highway, 70% around town. Stop start off. I'm not very aggressive, I'm that guy that WILL get a ticket ... :blush:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So is everyone calculating their MPG on their own or using the dash calculator? I use Fuelly, my dash is off by 2-3 and I haven't bothered to update it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So is everyone calculating their MPG on their own or using the dash calculator? I use Fuelly, my dash is off by 2-3 and I haven't bothered to update it.
I started using Fuelly when I got my Ranger. Mine dash was off almost 2 mpg until I did the adjustment. It does take several tanks to get adjusted but now the last two fill ups have been dead on with the Fuelly app.

In case anyone want to adjust theirs.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I started using Fuelly when I got my Ranger. Mine dash was off almost 2 mpg until I did the adjustment. It does take several tanks to get adjusted but now the last two fill ups have been dead on with the Fuelly app.

In case anyone want to adjust theirs.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/
Didn’t know it could be adjusted. That has always been a pet peeve of mine. Does it adjust back to back for a change in driving habits also, like if you go from a highway heavy tank to a stop and go steppin on it tank? Thank you for the information!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Didn’t know it could be adjusted. That has always been a pet peeve of mine. Does it adjust back to back for a change in driving habits also, like if you go from a highway heavy tank to a stop and go steppin on it tank? Thank you for the information!!
Yes it's mine too! It will adjust to all driving habits but I'm guessing it might be off a bit of you're on your way to get gas and romp on it then it could be off a little. I adjusted mine in late October and it took about 5-6 tanks to get it to within .02. Then the last two tanks have been dead on to my Fuelly app.

Edit: I started at 944 and never had to re-adjust it again.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it's mine too! It will adjust to all driving habits but I'm guessing it might be off a bit of you're on your way to get gas and romp on it then it could be off a little. I adjusted mine in late October and it took about 5-6 tanks to get it to within .02. Then the last two tanks have been dead on to my Fuelly app.

I made my adjustment to 948 and haven't adjusted since. Here's what I've been seeing (the last column is just a carry-over of the calculation to adjust the AFE.

1611629125141.png

1611629144662.png

The computer should auto-calculate based upon usage and stay relatively accurate. I'm pretty pleased that over 11k miles and a tire size change the dash has only average ~0.15 over calculated (and that could be nothing given the fact that our odometer doesn't calculate past a whole mile and the dash is only to the tenth of a mile.

*EDITING*
To add, that you shouldn't be scared by these numbers if you're looking for details on a Ranger. I can easily get 24-26mph on the highway (at 65-70). My trip from my house to literally anywhere else is up and down about 1000ft of elevation, and most of these tanks have some, if not significant, off-roading in them, which I'll take. Especially considering my '99 Ranger with the 4L only got ~15.5mpg, same as my '04 F-150 with the 4.6L, highways maybe getting 18 in each.

Last edited:

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker

I just readjusted the bias and it’s reading really bad mileage, 22 to 18/19. I assume that is part of dialing it in? Driving habits really haven’t chafed from tank to tank.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just readjusted the bias and it’s reading really bad mileage, 22 to 18/19. I assume that is part of dialing it in? Driving habits really haven’t chafed from tank to tank.
Try doing a hand calculation too to see where you're at. Before adjusting my dash reading was close to 2 mpg off my hand calculation. Give it a few more tanks and see where you're at then. Mine really took a good 5-6 tank fulls to even out.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
my computer calculated started out about 1.5 more than hand calculated. I mentioned this to my buddy an he said his GMC Envoy was off 6 or 7 miles compared to his actual mileage. He uses an app to track it. He's also said he's never gotten close to the epa ratings.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
With a grand total of 1400km, my truck says 18mpg but my last hand calculation was at 13mpg:oops::oops::oops:.... It was only a 1/3 tank. Curious when summer shows up.
Maybe my wife reset it. She would do something like that :crackup: or more likely a simple error on my part.
Sponsored