Report your MPG

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
14.81 MPG on last Fill-up at 652 miles (Majority around town)
Sponsored

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I was able to bump it up to 26mpg today. Filled up and hit the road north to go snowshoeing with my brother today. 2hrs of 60mph on rural roads each way through the forest make it easy to cruise to good mileage. Pretty darn good for winter mileage I'd say.
The old post-1973 Oil Embargo 55 mph speed limit existed for a reason. The extra drag between 55 mph and say, 70 is substantial, has a steep curve & can really drop mpg.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I've experienced that. Not too many times though, since most of my trips don't involve freeways. Most of my trips are on roads that max out at 60, maybe 65. I'm lucky that way, I can sit and cruise at 60 and get great mileage. That's how I can regularly get above EPA ratings.

I wish more people understood the "highway" EPA rating isn't meant to be achieved at 80mph on the freeway. Be a lot less complaining about not meeting EPA ratings and saying they're "fraudulent" then I think.
Hi Matt,

EPA rating are done under standard test conditions. They are really for being a compairitor to other vehicles that run under the same conditions. It is remotly likely that you will achieve the EPA ratings. Believe me EPA is aware of this but hard pressed to fix this. They make the rules...then hope for the best...likely a back lash.

How aobut VW, Audi and Porsche that figured out how to determine when a vehicle was under test and provide emission and fuel economy that was not achievable under real world conditions.

Ford was not in the clear, back in 1974...we had a thermal switch in the door jamb of the driver's door that enabled emissions controls only when the switch determined the car was in standard test conditions. Otherwise the emissions devices were disabled. Not against the law until the EPA promulgated the the Defeat Device clauses to the Clean Air Act. Not a sophisticated approach like VW took.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I average about 1K miles a week and mostly highway. I get 22MPG max. I do not mash it at the lights or accelerate p hard when passing. I think this truck is not gonna make the 25 rating unless you are driving 55 on a mildly sunny no wind afternoon on a flat road. How everyone gets the high 20ā€™s is beyond me. Maybe Iā€™ll see it this summer?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I average about 1K miles a week and mostly highway. I get 22MPG max. I do not mash it at the lights or accelerate p hard when passing. I think this truck is not gonna make the 25 rating unless you are driving 55 on a mildly sunny no wind afternoon on a flat road. How everyone gets the high 20ā€™s is beyond me. Maybe Iā€™ll see it this summer?
my best is 24.4 driving up into the mountains, so mostly uphill the entire way. I had the truck loaded with a couple of hundred pounds, me (200), the dogs (100), and supplies (150-200). I kept it at 65 on smart cruise, sort of as a test. I also have a topper. If I were to eliminate most of the weight, and keep it at 60, I'm sure I'd do a lot better.

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
my best is 24.4 driving up into the mountains, so mostly uphill the entire way. I had the truck loaded with a couple of hundred pounds, me (200), the dogs (100), and supplies (150-200). I kept it at 65 on smart cruise, sort of as a test. I also have a topper. If I were to eliminate most of the weight, and keep it at 60, I'm sure I'd do a lot better.
Iā€™m by myself, unloaded, nowhere near a mountain, tonneau cover, Livernois 91-93 installed, very little warm up if any in the AM and cruise on 70. Canā€™t explain the difference, maybe 65 vs. 70? MPGs are hand calculated not computer stated. 95% of my fuel is on the companyā€™s dime but would still like better, more for bragging sake honestly.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Iā€™m by myself, unloaded, nowhere near a mountain, tonneau cover, Livernois 91-93 installed, very little warm up if any in the AM and cruise on 70. Canā€™t explain the difference, maybe 65 vs. 70? MPGs are hand calculated not computer stated. 95% of my fuel is on the companyā€™s dime but would still like better, more for bragging sake honestly.
At 70 in my Sport Trac Iā€™d be lucky to see 20 mpg. At 60 I could get high 20s on the same trip.

My MPG is always hand calculated.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you're averaging 22 mpg that's not all that bad. My average is 21.8 with very little highway driving, some weeks it's 80% city/20%highway. I had my best of 26.1 when we went to MX and it was mostly (90%) highway at 75 mph using the ACC. I have the same tune and running the 91-93 performance using 91 octane which is the highest we can get here.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Because I havenā€™t washed mine yet in winter weather in New England my mileage has suffered severely ? All that drag has me at 18.7 mph currently ?

Honestly though, just finished my first 1K on odometer. Driving has been 20/80% so mostly short trips and stop and go. Getting used to the shift patterns at different speeds is a challenge in itself! Iā€™m sure it will get better after I wash it and wearing sneakers! ?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Because I havenā€™t washed mine yet in winter weather in New England my mileage has suffered severely ? All that drag has me at 18.7 mph currently ?

Honestly though, just finished my first 1K on odometer. Driving has been 20/80% so mostly short trips and stop and go. Getting used to the shift patterns at different speeds is a challenge in itself! Iā€™m sure it will get better after I wash it and wearing sneakers! ?
I've been driving in trailer mode to solve the shifting issue. No complaints with that.

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Just did my first "click to click" and it was just under 17 mpg. That was mostly town driving, lots of warm up and using winter gas, all on a break-in engine. So I think it's a baseline of the lousy end of the spectrum for a lightly loaded 4X4, crew cab Ranger. It sounds bad but you should have seen my Econoline drink gas. Sheesh, and it was a 4.6 that I drove with a light foot.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have not hand calculated for a while so I did so today. Obviously winter blend, 87 oct & S mode hand calculated 22 dash readout 22.3 I can live with that.:clap:

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Winter for me is 21 but rest of the time its 24 80% highway 20% city.

Apollo51

First Name
Kylin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Truck driver
In my fx4, I was getting 15.7, but in sport mode I'm getting 18.8.
Sponsored