Parking brake boot.....Genuine Pleather

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you install this yet, why do you need glue? The website says "very easy to install." Using glue is not what I would call very easy.
PXL_20220318_144825589.jpg

I glued it up and it is curing now. Redline only makes the leather portion of the boot that replaces the factory pleather. You need to remove the pleather from the plastic retaining ring then glue the new leather boot back on. Removing it was very easy I used a bic pen cap to slide between the plastic and pleather to separate the two. Gluing is definitely something you want three hands for, but i was able to do it by my self. Not sure i would call it easy but it certainly wasn't difficult either. I fit it up without glue first and made some marks so i had an idea of where i should aim to line it up. All in all not bad and I'm excited to get it on the truck once it is cured.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Hey Guys,

Ordered one up this morning.

You can find them at Redline's website. You can choose styles and colors too!

https://www.redlinegoods.com/Ranger19shiftboot.php
wow, they certainly do have a wide range of colors. ? I wonder which of the shades of grey would work best. I'm also trying to decide whether I want to do this, or just keep making ford pay for replacements until they get a clue.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Using glue is not easy?
Depends on what you're gluing. According to the OP, "Gluing is definitely something you want three hands for, but i was able to do it by my self. Not sure i would call it easy but it certainly wasn't difficult either. "

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
wow, they certainly do have a wide range of colors. ? I wonder which of the shades of grey would work best. I'm also trying to decide whether I want to do this, or just keep making ford pay for replacements until they get a clue.
I'm also curious what color matches the stock boot. Suspect the charcoal would? Also wondering what the genuine Alcantara would be like. For anyone that buys / installs one of these, can you please post results in here??

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Never been one to use parking brake on automatic vehicles but always did on manual. Probably should to make sure it works.
I use it everywhere except in my level garage. Mostly because it eases stress on the transmission avoiding torque lock; where the vehicle rolls slightly forward or backward jamming the parking pawl tight against the gear.
And a gut feeling that it might slow down a thief for a couple seconds or more to release the parking brake.
This is all that's holding your 4500lb truck in place on a hill:
parkingpawl.jpeg

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
I use it everywhere except in my level garage. Mostly because it eases stress on the transmission avoiding torque lock; where the vehicle rolls slightly forward or backward jamming the parking pawl tight against the gear.
And a gut feeling that it might slow down a thief for a couple seconds or more to release the parking brake.
This is all that's holding your 4500lb truck in place on a hill:
parkingpawl.jpeg
FWIW, I was taught by my mechanic father-in-law to always use the parking brake on manual transmissions (for obvious safety reasons).
His opinion on automatics was, either always use it or always don't. His logic was that the parking brake cable was the weakest point. If you choose to exercise that cable on a regular basis, you should not have any issues. But if you never used the parking brake (ie years), and then decide to use it that one time, it's usually that one time when the cable breaks from the lack of use (not stretched, seized, rusted, etc.) Any parking brakes he repaired were usually on vehicles where the owner had not used it on a regular basis. I personally use it when on any incline/decline just as habit.

As far as the parking pawl...it's a hit or miss. Sounds like the manufacturing of that piece over the years has been affected by cost cutting and poor manufacturing processes like everything else.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
FWIW, I was taught by my mechanic father-in-law to always use the parking brake on manual transmissions (for obvious safety reasons).
His opinion on automatics was, either always use it or always don't. His logic was that the parking brake cable was the weakest point. If you choose to exercise that cable on a regular basis, you should not have any issues. But if you never used the parking brake (ie years), and then decide to use it that one time, it's usually that one time when the cable breaks from the lack of use (not stretched, seized, rusted, etc.) Any parking brakes he repaired were usually on vehicles where the owner had not used it on a regular basis. I personally use it when on any incline/decline just as habit.
I have had two used vehicles where the parking brake failed due to non-use, because I started to use them. I always use mine because my driveway is uphill from my next door neighbor. I had a '72 F-150 years ago, neighbor called me one day and asked what my truck was doing in his back yard! Took out his pear tree.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
If I was a betting man, and I am not, i would say that there are a fair amount of people who do not use the e-brake or when parking on hills, turn their front tires the correct way.

i.e. Uphill - turned left and rested against the curb (or close anyway) and downhill turned towards the curb and rested against the curb or close to it.

That and the e-brake is the first thing on when you go to park, and the last thing off when you leave.

anyway... my thoughts for Friday. Have a great weekend.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My truck is getting a new factory boot right now.

As soon as I get it back, if the boot is the same old material I'm ordering one of these.

Looks Great! :like:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
PXL_20220318_185531903.jpg
PXL_20220318_185515946.jpg

Redline boot is on. Looks like factory and as expected much higher quality, way more flexible. This is their black regular leather and silver thread.
I love how it matches the plastic of the console so well, as if it's just one piece.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
PXL_20220318_185531903.jpg
PXL_20220318_185515946.jpg

Redline boot is on. Looks like factory and as expected much higher quality, way more flexible. This is their black regular leather and silver thread.
Thanks for posting and the specs! That looks perfect. I have one ordered. Someone should send the order link to Ford...

Last edited:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Looks great! Less bunched up than the oem one and looks like higher quality.
Sponsored