Rear Rotors Warping Due to Parking Brake Applied on Hot Rotors/Pads?

mang5927

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
Self Employed
I just changed out my rear brake pads and rotors at 40k miles because I was getting a heavy, fast pulse from the rear when braking from over 45mph on downhills. The pads still had more material than the backing plate so it seemed like they should have gone quite a bit longer. I also noticed the inner brake pads were worn 1-2mm more than the outer pads, not sure if this matters or not I just noticed it.

I live in a very hilly area and to get to my house I have to use my brakes hard on a long, fast downhill turnoff, then park fairly soon after and need to use my parking brake.

With how the parking brake is designed to engage the pads on the rotor (as in there is no secondary set of brake pads for the parking/emergency brake), could putting the parking brake on when the rotors and pads are really hot cause warping? From what I understand uneven heating/cooling causes warping usually right?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
its form the traction control apply brakes all the time ... same reason we wear out the rears so fast .........

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I just changed out my rear brake pads and rotors at 40k miles because I was getting a heavy, fast pulse from the rear when braking from over 45mph on downhills. The pads still had more material than the backing plate so it seemed like they should have gone quite a bit longer. I also noticed the inner brake pads were worn 1-2mm more than the outer pads, not sure if this matters or not I just noticed it.

I live in a very hilly area and to get to my house I have to use my brakes hard on a long, fast downhill turnoff, then park fairly soon after and need to use my parking brake.

With how the parking brake is designed to engage the pads on the rotor (as in there is no secondary set of brake pads for the parking/emergency brake), could putting the parking brake on when the rotors and pads are really hot cause warping? From what I understand uneven heating/cooling causes warping usually right?

Thanks for the help!
Mine is exactly the same and I never use the parking brake. And I don’t beat on it enough for traction control, also no towing or load. I’m chalking it up to poor quality rotors.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im having issues with the rear brakes still. feels like badly warped rear rotor but its not..

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I have been conscious of this since I warped a set of front rotors on a 93 Ranger.
Was loaded and pulling a Uhaul Trailer. Exiting the freeway on a downhill exit ramp. Had a long light at the bottom.

I wasn't as on my A-Game and paying attention as much as I should and built up a ton of friction in the deceleration. Then sat at the long light with the pads crimped in the same spot. Light turned green and wub wub wub wub off we went.

So now with all disc brakes - front or rear - I avoid intensive braking before parking. If I do build up some heat, I try to stop a truck length back from the light and then slowly creep up on the light so the pads don't hold heat in one place longer than the rest.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I park on this hill several times a day. I never have a problem with rear brakes.

20230908_181609.jpg

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Any vehicle with disc brakes, driven in a dusty environ, will have a good potential for uneven shoe wear. This is caused by dust getting into the pins (bolts really) which hinders the calipers' floating action (centering). It is best to check the calipers when rotating tires.

OP
OP
mang5927

mang5927

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the advice everyone. Caliper pins were still well greased and moving freely. I'm gonna chalk it up to lots of hilly braking and traction control at this point. Brakes feel smooth after the replacement so I'll see how long they stay that way.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the advice everyone. Caliper pins were still well greased and moving freely. I'm gonna chalk it up to lots of hilly braking and traction control at this point. Brakes feel smooth after the replacement so I'll see how long they stay that way.
Did you replace with Ford parts?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I park on this hill several times a day. I never have a problem with rear brakes.

20230908_181609.jpg
That looks like the biggest hill in Texas. 🤣

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
How did the calipers look?
not bad, but mechanic cleaned them up did new springs and hardware on the rear brakes assuming the issue was one hanging or dragging. but its still doing it. havent had time to take it back yet.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Been using power stop on all my families cars and trucks for decades. Mid to high priced are going to be worth the extra money. If heat is an issue the cross drilled and grooved ones are worth the extra money to help dissipating heat and warpage
Sponsored