On board Air setup on your Ranger

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Yep, just tires and large air pads and maybe even blowing dirt out of my bed or something. Some people live in fantasy land and put large aux tanks and dual compressors so they can run air tools but I see that as totally pointless and unlikely. Most repairs will involve hand tools and if you really do need an impact, it's 2020, take a cordless one. Just my $.02...
Sponsored

OP
OP
KnightRanger

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, just tires and large air pads and maybe even blowing dirt out of my bed or something. Some people live in fantasy land and put large aux tanks and dual compressors so they can run air tools but I see that as totally pointless and unlikely. Most repairs will involve hand tools and if you really do need an impact, it's 2020, take a cordless one. Just my $.02...
I agree with you at some point, But I do miss my old setup w/ ARB twin and 1 gal tank (now that I switched to ViAir 450).

Although my Viair is 100% duty cycle, its a bit slow in inflating my tires compared to the Arb with tank.

I remember pairing my old ARB setup with an Aircat and man oh man, it took lug nuts off in seconds. It would really come in handy when there’s a flat. lol

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So forgive my ignorance and curosity. I never had any type of compressor in my vehicle other than a plug in one if I had a slow leak in a tire.

Are the compressors you are getting, for off road use, when you purposely reduce the air pressure in your tires to go over rough terrain, than fill up the tires after you are done?

Or is it for another purpose?

Thanks
I'm not an off roader, here are some things I've used mine for...
  • Odd jobs around the farm
  • Air up equipment tires
  • Blow rain water out of an antique tractor magneto
  • On-the-spot carb cleaning
  • Peace of mind for flats when traveling, particularly for trailers
  • Blow out my bed when cleaning
  • Top off an air mattress at the lake
One of those things where you will find ways to use it that you never really anticipated. This is my first truck mounted compressor; I won't be without one going forward.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I'm not an off roader, here are some things I've used mine for...
  • Odd jobs around the farm
  • Air up equipment tires
  • Blow rain water out of an antique tractor magneto
  • On-the-spot carb cleaning
  • Peace of mind for flats when traveling, particularly for trailers
  • Blow out my bed when cleaning
  • Top off an air mattress at the lake
One of those things where you will find ways to use it that you never really anticipated. This is my first truck mounted compressor; I won't be without one going forward.
Interesting.

I have an air compressor in my garage, and as you say, you always find ways to use it that you never really appreciated.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
What are you guys using for interior light power for the display on the switches?

OP
OP
KnightRanger

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Yes, I believe it was mentioned in the previous page.
Yup, I totally missed that. Oops.

Well, I bought this bracket and will give it a try. I only need air occasionally, so the loud compressor in cabin shouldn't be a problem. The nice thing about having it in the cabin is that I don't have to worry about it getting wet or dealing with environmental conditions.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Yup, I totally missed that. Oops.

Well, I bought this bracket and will give it a try. I only need air occasionally, so the loud compressor in cabin shouldn't be a problem. The nice thing about having it in the cabin is that I don't have to worry about it getting wet or dealing with environmental conditions.
this might not work after all. Turns out if you have a Lariat, the amplifier for the stereo is in the same spot the bracket is supposed to go into. I’ll have to figure out what other options there are. We’ll see.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I ditched the 1 gallon nail gun compressor...doesn't work very well for this application and over sized/weight...this one is the one I rock now...beautiful and fast...

81ylxMuF3vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
KnightRanger

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ditched the 1 gallon nail gun compressor...doesn't work very well for this application and over sized/weight...this one is the one I rock now...beautiful and fast...

81ylxMuF3vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I’ve used ARB and Viair in the past. They’re both good quality.
I currently have a 450 automatic on my truck bed. (quick disconnect and 30amp breaker)

97815D54-E47B-4468-8185-6EC33A63326B.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
Saw someone mounted a Viair 88p under the hood of their Taco... Anyone consider doing the same in a Ranger? Poor man's Taco OBA
IMG_8082.jpg

His still has the switch and everything in the engine bay, but it looks like you can take the handle, gauge, and switch off, to make the compressor even smaller, and just wire it to a relay and place the switch in the cab.

88p.jpg

$65 for the 88p (plus parts) vs ~$400 for the ARB solution. Should be a significantly cheaper solution, but I'm still on the fence in the OBA vs portable argument.

Thoughts?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
@LevittownFordParts.com
. . . I'm still on the fence in the OBA vs portable argument.

Thoughts?
I prefer a portable compressor solution. Easy to move between vehicles. When we don't need it, it sits on a shelf in the garage. When we head out to a remote trail, we toss it in a plastic tote in the back seat of our SCab. With the lower seat cushions removed, we keep two large totes back there most of the time.

I considered Viair and others. Then I thought about stowing the individual pieces, sitting in the dirt/mud while airing up, sucking dirt/dust while sitting on the ground, etc.

I ordered the Ford Performance ARB compressor from Benny @LevittownFordParts.com

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-1830-fpac.html

Our entire air up/down solution stows nicely in a single box.

Compressor, hose, cables, spare fuse, tire gauge, ARB Digital Tire Inflator Gauge, Staun Automatic Tire Deflators, and tire plug kit.

Having the compressor mounted in the box keeps it clean and prevents it from tipping over.

We find this kit quick and convenient for our air up/down needs.

Image 1764.png

Image 1765.png

Image 1771.png

Image 1770.png
Sponsored