Installing a rear locker on Ranger XLT 4x2

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I see both sides and honestly everyone has different definition of Offroad. I tend to agree if you don't have the knowledge expect to pay 3k for a factory locker add-on. (Labor) Honestly I would give the truck a try in it's current form and flip it when 23s order up and get what you want. That's my 2 cents
Sponsored

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
When I moved to Phoenix I drove from SC in 2 days. According to this forum I never should have made it. It was a 2008 f150 2wd with 230k miles at the time. I-40 was shut down west of Albuquerque NM and I had a flight to the west coast to get the U-Haul 10 hours later. I took a 30 miles desert road that was full of ruts, giant holes I drove around and tons of water.

Guess what my 2wd had? Yup a locker. A locked 2wd and some serious knowledge of wheeling will get you pretty far. I was happy with it in Midwest winters and muddy farm roads. Get a locker you will enjoy it. Also get off road recovery gear, then when you do get stuck you can get out.
REMEMBER: A 4x4 without lockers is really a 2wheel drive, one unlocked front wheel and one unlocked rear wheel...

Totally agree with Dereku: rear locker and skill will not be as efficient as a 4x (unlocked) but definitely can get you places that no locker can.

Go for the Swap!​

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I have the ARB locker, with new Yukon gears and ARB compressor on my ranger. Just under 3k installed.
Sponsored