First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 4x2
Occupation
Construction Worker
So I am getting a New Ranger but honestly didn’t think about off-roading and it’s to late to change packages. I was wondering if anyone had help on after market lockers for off-roading. I don’t know if I am gonna go much but wanted the option. Because I really just wanna go on trials nothing hardcore. Any help appreciated!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
So I am getting a New Ranger but honestly didn’t think about off-roading and it’s to late to change packages. I was wondering if anyone had help on after market lockers for off-roading. I don’t know if I am gonna go much but wanted the option. Because I really just wanna go on trials nothing hardcore. Any help appreciated!
arb is the one id go for. not cheap or easy fast install but will work well. maybe if you could find one from a salvage yard from a ranger with the locker already .

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Plan on a new Ring and Pinon with your locker as the old Ring gear is welded to the differential and likely cannot be salvaged...

best,
Phil
The quote above id from another post, I don't think it is feasible to add a locker. Probably easier and cheaper to find a used locking diff.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I'm in the process of doing this myself and have done a ton of research. An ARB air locker with new gears, carrier and compressor would cost about 3K. Even though my 2020 didn't come with an e-locker it still has the relay and fuse for it. Replace your start/stop button with one for an e-locker and turn it on in Forscan under BCM. The power wire for e-locker is in the lower harness on the driver side frame rail. Tap into that wire then swap in a used e-lock axle. They run about $1,600-1,800. The biggest problem I've had is finding new u-bolts. Ford's had them on backorder for a few months now.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Last time I looked, a complete rear axle with the factory e-locker was going for about $1700 from salvage yards. Look at car-part.com. ARB is great, and the onboard compressor might make it worth the extra cost if you need it. If not, the Ford parts seem like a good buy.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I'm in the process of doing this myself and have done a ton of research. An ARB air locker with new gears, carrier and compressor would cost about 3K. Even though my 2020 didn't come with an e-locker it still has the relay and fuse for it. Replace your start/stop button with one for an e-locker and turn it on in Forscan under BCM. The power wire for e-locker is in the lower harness on the driver side frame rail. Tap into that wire then swap in a used e-lock axle. They run about $1,600-1,800. The biggest problem I've had is finding new u-bolts. Ford's had them on backorder for a few months now.
Hey man! Just out of curiosity Any luck on the OEM elocker swap? I'm thinking of doing the same

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Hey man! Just out of curiosity Any luck on the OEM elocker swap? I'm thinking of doing the same
I just got the u-bolts and nuts I ordered from Ford at the beginning of the year. I have the electrical part sorted out. Now I just need to get around to swapping the axle. My goal is to have it done before winter so I can use the locker in the snow.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I just got the u-bolts and nuts I ordered from Ford at the beginning of the year. I have the electrical part sorted out. Now I just need to get around to swapping the axle. My goal is to have it done before winter so I can use the locker in the snow.
Awesome! Good luck man! I'm excited to see how it turns out, and probably bug you for some tips lol

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Is yours a 2wd though?

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't do it locker or not you have a 2wd coming a locker will get you a bit further but ultimately 2wd is not meant for most offroading (with some exceptions) It is a sellers market if you are getting a good deal on the 2wd I would flip it for a 4x4 if you can find one or do an order in july when the new banks open

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I wouldn't do it locker or not you have a 2wd coming a locker will get you a bit further but ultimately 2wd is not meant for most offroading (with some exceptions) It is a sellers market if you are getting a good deal on the 2wd I would flip it for a 4x4 if you can find one or do an order in july when the new banks open
Rear lockers are available on 2WD from Ford, they are called FX2. I've seen a couple around here. Sometimes it's nice to be able to lock up the rear on a 2WD, such as when ramping a boat or racing a Tacoma.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Momentum is king!

Traction control off, skinny pedal down, go go go!!

Just be careful, no armor on 4x2s

Careful with the front airdam thingy and don't worry about hitting the side steps.

Have fun. Lol

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Rear lockers are available on 2WD from Ford, they are called FX2. I've seen a couple around here. Sometimes it's nice to be able to lock up the rear on a 2WD, such as when ramping a boat or racing a Tacoma.
Of that I am well aware however if you read what the op said he is not using it to ramp a boat or race tacomas (no need for the locker tacomas are slow af) He wants it for offroad and despite what people try to say 2wd has very limited uses offroad and 4x4 even with open diffs will go way further than 2wd with a locker

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
just my view here but unless the ranger is gonna be a long term play toy it may not be worth the effort or trouble to mess with a locker. if your going to go that much trouble it may be a better option to just buy a 4x4.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
When I moved to Phoenix I drove from SC in 2 days. According to this forum I never should have made it. It was a 2008 f150 2wd with 230k miles at the time. I-40 was shut down west of Albuquerque NM and I had a flight to the west coast to get the U-Haul 10 hours later. I took a 30 miles desert road that was full of ruts, giant holes I drove around and tons of water.

Guess what my 2wd had? Yup a locker. A locked 2wd and some serious knowledge of wheeling will get you pretty far. I was happy with it in Midwest winters and muddy farm roads. Get a locker you will enjoy it. Also get off road recovery gear, then when you do get stuck you can get out.
Sponsored