Oil/Oil Filter

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Hey everyone,

Combed the forums and read a lot about oil changes, but didn't see much of what filter and oils to use.

In past vehicles, I've always used whatever was suggested in the owners manual, and always Motorcraft.

Just wanted to see if that is still the best option.

Just rolled past 1000 miles on my 22 Ranger, and I'd like to do a change nice and early, as I've only had it for about two weeks, and I've been driving like I stole it.

So should I go with the Motorcraft FL 910-S and Motorcraft 5W-30 or is there anything better?

Thank you in advance
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
My pops always said there's three rules to live by:
1) Never bet on an inside straight
2) Kmart sucks
3) Whatever you do, never EVER go on an internet forum and ask what the best oil and/or filter are.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Factory or Wix on the filter - IMO

I normally use Mobil1, but sticking with Ford's stuff for this rig; at least until I stop using the dealer to change it. Right now I can't beat their price doing it myself... so.. eh.

OP
OP
JoeyRig

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Jeez, looks like I might've screwed up.

Even if I did, its less so of a "someone tell me which is best" and more of a "whats some advice yall have."

I just like to hear what others do and then I can decide if I like that or not.

For instance one of my friends always buys two filters and two of however much oil they need. They drain, swap filter, fill, do the old "italian tune-up" then drain, swap and fill again. Interesting technique, and it kept an Old Chevy running for a few hundred thousand miles.

I've also heard that blended oils are better for break-in but moving to full synthetic down the line is a good play.

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger xl stx special edition fx2
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
Only reason i dont go amsoil sig right now is because of warranty and its not api certified and can void your warranty if theres engine failure for a crazy reason ive ran amsoil sig on my speed3 sr 20 swapped 240sx and my big turbo 8th gen si and had my top end looking like new when i popped the valve covers every time.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The factory Motocraft Oil Filter is more than adequate for the Ranger. Also for the oil Ford recommends either 5-30 Motocraft synthetic blend or 0-30 full synthetic.

I used 5-30 full synthetic and didnt have any issues. Main thing is keep up on your maintenance.

Should I mention that Ford did the 150,000 mile durability test with all this and had no issues?! Weird!!

OP
OP
JoeyRig

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
The factory Motocraft Oil Filter is more than adequate for the Ranger. Also for the oil Ford recommends either 5-30 Motocraft synthetic blend or 0-30 full synthetic.

I used 5-30 full synthetic and didnt have any issues. Main thing is keep up on your maintenance.

Should I mention that Ford did the 150,000 mile durability test with all this and had no issues?! Weird!!
So am I correct on running a blend for break in then switch to full synthetic or go full synthetic right off the rip?

Also, everyone else thank you for the advice!

Does running non-motorcraft filters and oil affect warranty?

Not too concerned about warranty, but also don't want to break it this early in case any manufacturing defects show up.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
So, you started a post on oil/filters for Rangers. And were immediately flamed for posting about a subject that has been posted by thousands and beat to a bloody death. And yet people still add their opinion as if it was a good question. Holy cow that dead horse has been flogged bad there is nothing there left to beat. But, people are still beating the spot where the horse was and is long gone. :LOL: :LOL:
PS if the Aminosol man comes back I am going to duke or I mean puke.:explode:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So am I correct on running a blend for break in then switch to full synthetic or go full synthetic right off the rip?

Also, everyone else thank you for the advice!

Does running non-motorcraft filters and oil affect warranty?

Not too concerned about warranty, but also don't want to break it this early in case any manufacturing defects show up.
The only filter that can cause an issue with warranty is Fram. Ford has a bulletin(dont remember the bulletin number) that if a locked up engine comes in and the engine has a Fram oil filter the warranty is void since it is known for Fram oil filters to break apart.

As for when to run Full Synthetic that is up to you.

OP
OP
JoeyRig

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
The only filter that can cause an issue with warranty is Fram. Ford has a bulletin(dont remember the bulletin number) that if a locked up engine comes in and the engine has a Fram oil filter the warranty is void since it is known for Fram oil filters to break apart.

As for when to run Full Synthetic that is up to you.
Awesome, thank you! I guess the question really is how will full synthetic affect things?

OP
OP
JoeyRig

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
So, you started a post on oil/filters for Rangers. And were immediately flamed for posting about a subject that has been posted by thousands and beat to a bloody death. And yet people still add their opinion as if it was a good question. Holy cow that dead horse has been flogged bad there is nothing there left to beat. But, people are still beating the spot where the horse was and is long gone. :LOL: :LOL:
PS if the Aminosol man comes back I am going to duke or I mean puke.:explode:
Honestly didn't find too much on the forums in the way of what to use for an oil change, just how to do it.

I'm also not really too worried about "the flaming" as my question (as bad or repetitive it is) is still getting answered.

Either way I appreciate everyone's input. Didn't imagine this would be a huge controversy.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Awesome, thank you! I guess the question really is how will full synthetic affect things?
It wil help with a few things.

1: I will help with MPG(even though I have yet to notice)
2:it has a higher heat protection(great for turbocharged applications)
3:it is easier on the engine for cold start

There is probably more but I can't remember right off
Sponsored