First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
I also don't know if I should be concerned, a piece of the oil filter housing came out with the old filter. I just threaded it back in and put the new oil filter on. At next oil change, I'll remove that double sided threaded piece out and loc tite it in

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Yes I have done that. Perhaps it was over-tighthened or not lubricated before being installed? You should make sure the gasket is wet with oil when installing.
I have also forgotten to put the drain plug back before adding new oil. Now that's a waste!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I have the feeling that your talking tongue in cheek Sid?
lol...really never done this after years of oil changes...now that I know I'll be sure to have a good look...

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Been there done that! The low oil pressure warning should come on approx. 3/4 of a mile if you’ve tightened the new filter down really good. If you hand tightened it, probably earlier.

It’s easy to get distracted by a family member, neighbor, etc. and forget. Just don’t drive with the oil pressure light solid and you’ll be ok.

A momentary (split second) loss of oil is about the same as a below feeezing cold start after your car has sat at the airport for a week or 2…nothing to worry about especially since you noticed it immediately.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I also don't know if I should be concerned, a piece of the oil filter housing came out with the old filter. I just threaded it back in and put the new oil filter on. At next oil change, I'll remove that double sided threaded piece out and loc tite it in
What is this? Like the collar on there?

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
'
double-gasket-danger-on-oil-change_Moment.jpg

It's when you don't notice this and the gasket is still stuck to the truck. You put a new filter on and gasket + gasket surprisingly = not a gasket.
phew... things could be worse.

according to my 8th grade health class teacher, young and amorous couples who attempted a double gasket for added protection ended up with a child! now THAT'S an expensive boo-boo!

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Is that's why he's now an X? Or was it a general trend.
She was unlucky, I only reason think I managed to get away with it for a couple of hours was because on that particular filter the seal was quite wide and flat, which when done up tight still sealed reasonably well, had it had been one of those thin round profile ones around the very outside, almost like an O ring, probably wouldn't have gone far at all.
Well this is the guy that cashed in his entire 401k to buy a sea ark catfish boat, right around $50,000. I did catch a 52lb blue cat from that boat though.

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
What is this? Like the collar on there?
The threaded bit that the physical oil filter screws on too. My googlefu says it's not a big deal.
This is the best picture of it I can find
s-l1200.jpg
Sponsored