Oil Change Cleanup?

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I took my Truck for an oil change to a dealership, and whichever tech drew that card was obviously new. It was raining, so I didn't think about it, got it home and parked it. Next morning I see a small puddle of oil under the truck, grab a rag, and figured it was coming from the channel for the filter. It was, but it's also in every nook and cranny of the frame. It's like they unscrewed the filter and tried to pull it immediately. They screwed up some pop rivets too, so I'll go get some new ones next week; but is brake cleaner the easiest way to get rid of all this oil residue? I already pulled the fender liner (which is how I saw the damaged pop-rivets) to verify the filter was tight and not leaking. For $110.00 (paid in points) I should have just done it myself. I'm not 100% sure they rotated the tires.
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Have you double-checked to make sure your oil level is correct, just to make sure it isn't leaking from someplace that isn't immediately obvious? I think you're likely correct that the tech pulled the filter before draining the oil, but being wrong about that could be catastrophic.

Crazy that they made a mess like that and didn't try to clean it up.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Perfect example of why, if your able, to do it yourself...
5 quart jug of synthetic, plus one quart of synthetic, plus a Motorcraft filter at Wal Mart is around $35.00. Add the satisfaction of knowing it was done right....Priceless !!!

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Damn it man ! I'm supposed to take mine in next week for its 1st one , was already getting cold feet thinking about who was gonna be getting all hand z and rough with my girl and the mess they might make... fears confirmed!!!

Reactions: R_B

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I took my Truck for an oil change to a dealership, and whichever tech drew that card was obviously new. It was raining, so I didn't think about it, got it home and parked it. Next morning I see a small puddle of oil under the truck, grab a rag, and figured it was coming from the channel for the filter. It was, but it's also in every nook and cranny of the frame. It's like they unscrewed the filter and tried to pull it immediately. They screwed up some pop rivets too, so I'll go get some new ones next week; but is brake cleaner the easiest way to get rid of all this oil residue? I already pulled the fender liner (which is how I saw the damaged pop-rivets) to verify the filter was tight and not leaking. For $110.00 (paid in points) I should have just done it myself. I'm not 100% sure they rotated the tires.
I wouldn't use brake cleaner as it could damage wiring and electronics that are under there. Use a degreaser and then either wipe it down or if there's a lot you could go to the car wash and hose it off. Wiping it down would be better because you wouldn't be putting oil down the drains.

When I'd bring mine to the dealer I would chalk the inner front tires. This way you can tell if they were rotated.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Brake clean would work fine, just avoid connectors and some rubber parts.

Degreaseror soap and water in a spray bottle and a rag would also work if you want to get everything in a more gentle way.

Or leave it, it'll wash off eventually.

Reactions: R_B

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I'd just run it through a car wash with a chassis spray.
Agree with checking the oil level. It's possible that if the "technician" was new he didn't make sure the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter. Been changing my own oil for 40+ years and only once did an old gasket not come off with the filter, but it can happen and makes a mess if you have two filter gaskets. Didn't happen to me but it did to a bud of mine way back in high school.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Take it to a car wash that has an under carriage spray. Keep in mind that oil will eventually dry out and leave a rust preventative coating.

William Oz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Occupation
Autoworker
I scheduled my truck for an oil change for after work. I had thought I'd made the appointment for 5pm. When I get there I'm told they don't have a record of my appointment and they don't schedule appointments after 4:30. I explained that I don't get out of work till then. They don't take walk in oil changes either anymore.
He suggested I drop it off before work in the morning, to which I explained, I leave for work at 0430. There's no shuttle service.
I'm in the position to where I can't take time off work because we are hurting for bodies to fill the positions. I hadn't had a day off in two months. I've been averaging 74 hours a week so we can build F-150's for his dealership to sell. And this lazy f$%& can't fit me in???
So now after busting my fanny for 12 hours, I get to crawl around on the ground for a few more hours.
This is the thanks I get for 26 years at Ford, and the purchase of four new vehicles from this dealership over the last twenty years
So now I change my own oil and am searching for a new dealership.
And I make sure I remove the old gasket...?

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I understand just wanting to get on with your life, but I would have brought it back and asked them to clean it up. The only way the service manager is going to know that is going on is to confront him with the problem and make him fix it.

The analogy: a business is like a ladder of naked people climbing up one after the other, when you look down, all you see is smiling faces, can be very true. :)

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
And just a tidbit on filling the engine with oil -- There is a funnel designed for the Mustang I believe it is with the same motor and a slightly different valve cover. I took this funnel and trimmed off 2 ears and now it seats on our valve cover and with a half twist is firmly held secure and make a tight seal with the valve cover. Eliminates the issue pouring oil and making a mess if one misses the fill hole.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
consider it corrosion protection.
let the rains wash it away and contaminate the waterways
if you lived in the USA you could be recruited by the EPA, they are in need of progressive thinkers ! That used oil will eventually seep back into the ground where it can be re-refracted.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I understand just wanting to get on with your life, but I would have brought it back and asked them to clean it up. The only way the service manager is going to know that is going on is to confront him with the problem and make him fix it.

The analogy: a business is like a ladder of naked people climbing up one after the other, when you look down, all you see is smiling faces, can be very true. :)
That analogy brings back memories of an incident in beautiful Boulder, CO - I had some out of town visitors whom I told this tale to and they were incredulous, but sh*t does happen, even in beautiful Boulder, CO. Read and believe it :sunglasses:

https://www.westword.com/news/sh-t-...wanted-on-unlawful-sex-contact-charge-5860069

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired