First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Forum members, I have a 2019 xlt and got the catch can. I have seen all the installation videos but I tried to install mine and found NO such hose to remove next to the steering column/oil filter area. Could my ranger not have this PCV valve thing?
Sponsored

Ds_2020Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX4
I have the mishimoto catch can, but cant complete install cause I cant get my hands in there to undo the hose ends. Is there any other way to access that area other than through the tiny opening in the fender well?

gotwheels

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Baja Rudy, The hose is there, I just did this a few months ago. I could not see the hose, it is there
just hard to find, then real hard to get at once you find it.

Ds_2020Ranger, I don't think there is any othere way to get to the hose connections. It took a lot to get the old hose off, then I wasn't sure if I was going to get the new hoses back on.

Baja Rudy

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Baja Rudy, The hose is there, I just did this a few months ago. I could not see the hose, it is there
just hard to find, then real hard to get at once you find it.

Ds_2020Ranger, I don't think there is any othere way to get to the hose connections. It took a lot to get the old hose off, then I wasn't sure if I was going to get the new hoses back on.
thanks for the reply, I will remove the tire and get in there until I find it.

gotwheels

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Yes remove tire, pull most of the flap out of the way and get a bright flash light.
The video shows a silver hose, mine had a black cover over it, Making it harder to find.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
thanks for the reply, I will remove the tire and get in there until I find it.
It’s a big pain in the rear end, I can attest. I invented a few new curse words installing it. Also make sure not to kink the line. I got it all installed and thank god gave it a final check and found I kinked it bad. I fixed it but still watch out

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It’s a big pain in the rear end, I can attest. I invented a few new curse words installing it. Also make sure not to kink the line. I got it all installed and thank god gave it a final check and found I kinked it bad. I fixed it but still watch out
Where did you find a kink? I think I will re-check mine now that you made me paranoid, but I did not see any on installation.

Reactions: Doc

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Where did you find a kink? I think I will re-check mine now that you made me paranoid, but I did not see any on installation.
Down near the connection that comes out of the engine at a right angle. In my kit it was the yellow plastic tube. When I pulled the tube up to connect it to the catch can, I pulled too hard and it kinked at the 90 degree spot. Just had to relieve pressure on it and it soon evened back out.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The space up there is ridiculously tight. I tore my hands up rooting around in there.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This was the amount of oil pulled out after the first 1000 miles after installing a oil catch can. Standard size solo cup for reference. Catch can was roughly half full.

20201205_122306.jpg
I am getting about the same amount this winter every 200 or so miles. It is almost all condensation. Warm ups in the morning when it is cold and damp outside can do this quickly. I don't like to let it sit and warm up too much, but the wife likes to get in when there is some heat coming out of the vents. Lol.

I expect this to taper off to about that much every 1000 miles or so once the weather warms up and the humidity drops.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Anyone put a passanger side catch can on there ranger?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
How much is your setup catching. Nice writeup thinking of doing the same thing
I have cans for both vents (PCV/CCV). Driver side catches about half a can every 2-3k miles. The pass side catches almost nothing during light commute/grocery getting but when I tow or spend any decent amount of time in boost it will catch about a 1/4 can in the same interval. Definitely an amount that I'm glad is not going through my turbo and intercooler.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Whew. Read this whole thread. Gotta have something to do during lockdown I guess. I ordered a Mishimoto back around page 23 or so, and now I'm not looking forward to the install lol, Realistically I'll wait until warmer weather, that way my knuckles won't hurt so much while they heal.

There are two sides to every argument but at the end of the day I believe a clean engine is a happy engine, and I plan to keep this truck for a long time, or until I die, whichever comes first. If I can keep that crud from cycling back through the intake, that makes good sense to me.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m in the process of making my own. Gathering parts right now and when I’m done will make a post for it. I looked at what is available and what they cost and I know for 200 bucks I can end up with something far superior to what I can buy for the same amount. That’s hardcoat anodized with a sight window in it. I’m only doing the crankcase side right now as I believe the PVC side isn’t a big contributor. Or, add a smaller can that side later if it becomes something to improve.
Sponsored