First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
I just got an update regarding the Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator for the Ranger that has been in development for quite a while. The design has been completed and they have a quote out to their supplier.
However, due to the COVID-19 issue causing delays, it might take a few months to produce.
This is supposed to be a dual system (PCV/CCV), like the system for the ecoboost Mustang.
You hear anything else about gord releasing this
Sponsored

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Can anyone tell me if adding a catch-can system will give Ford and excuse to invalidate my warranty??

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Can anyone tell me if adding a catch-can system will give Ford and excuse to invalidate my warranty??
A dealer ship can probably tell you Window tint would void your warranty.
You are making an "engine modification" and I would place my money that if you had trouble, they would point to a catch can as a culprit before doing anything.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
A dealer ship can probably tell you Window tint would void your warranty.
You are making an "engine modification" and I would place my money that if you had trouble, they would point to a catch can as a culprit before doing anything.
That's what I was afraid of. I have documented fuel dilution (4.3%) and I was considering this as a possible stop gap measure since Ford doesn't seem to want to fix it:(

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
That's what I was afraid of. I have documented fuel dilution (4.3%) and I was considering this as a possible stop gap measure since Ford doesn't seem to want to fix it:(
Just install the can regardless. Remove it (even just plumbed the two lines back together) if you ever need engine work done.
I don't think most dealers are equipped to deal with such an issue. And 4% does seem high, even for an ecoboost. How many miles do you currently have, and location? I noticed a significant drop in fuel odor after a few thousand. But when the winter months arrive, I can smell it again.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Just install the can regardless. Remove it (even just plumbed the two lines back together) if you ever need engine work done.
I don't think most dealers are equipped to deal with such an issue. And 4% does seem high, even for an ecoboost. How many miles do you currently have, and location? I noticed a significant drop in fuel odor after a few thousand. But when the winter months arrive, I can smell it again.
I have 2000 miles on it and it's a 2020 and I live in Michigan.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
I think some fuel dilution results during break-in. Mine was worse during the first 3000 or so miles but it no longer has any issues with longer highway driving.
I can only hope that mine improves as well. However, I do have a very short 8 mile commute to work every day.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
PSA: I tried to install the mishimoto XL catch can bottom and it doesn't clear the intercooler pipe. That's unfortunate..

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
So this came out of my catch can on Thursday when I changed the oil. This is roughly 2k miles and was mainly in snow and rainy weather. This is really raising some concerns with how this engine is designed.

0FAB06CA-6F8F-493C-AABE-1AE438029475.jpeg

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
So this came out of my catch can on Thursday when I changed the oil. This is roughly 2k miles and was mainly in snow and rainy weather. This is really raising some concerns with how this engine is designed.

I'm guessing most that is condensation due to cold weather, due to where the can is mounted.

Mine fills up so fast in the winter, but picks up little to no oil in the summer

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
A lot of what these cans pick up is condensation. They just don't warm up very fast mounted where they are. Having a 4 cylinder in a larger engine compartment doesn't help in warming the cans up fast either. I have a nice UPR setup in my Mustang that I track at road courses. My can catches the same stuff in the cooler months because it's mounted up near the radiator - and I live in SoCal.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

I remember when "door to door" vacuum cleaner salesmen would have you vacuum your rug with your vacuum cleaner then go over it again with theirs to show how much yours missed and all that unhealthy dirt their better vacuum cleaner could get... NO SALE!

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
A lot of what these cans pick up is condensation. They just don't warm up very fast mounted where they are. Having a 4 cylinder in a larger engine compartment doesn't help in warming the cans up fast either. I have a nice UPR setup in my Mustang that I track at road courses. My can catches the same stuff in the cooler months because it's mounted up near the radiator - and I live in SoCal.
makes sense given I was up the snow this past month. I’m going to continue filling up that bottle and then see about sending a sample to one of the old testing labs to see what they pull out of it. Would be interesting to see the mix of water / gas / etc.
Sponsored