Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
?

Blackstone oil analysis has become the go-to virtue signaling of automotive forums. While it may have its place if for instance you are trying to diagnose a wear problem, engine failure, etc. it is kind of moot if you just use good oil, change it frequently (yes, even if the oil analysis groupies say it can be extended), and just use good sense you will be fine.?
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Oil Separator, Part #: 6A785. On the side of the motor, between block and Turbo
Oil Sep Location.jpg
BTW, the purple colored hose, part # 6A664, is a bendable corrugated hose. It is where aftermarket Catch Cans tap into the PCV system. Rather than pay CRAZY $200 for a kit containing $15 of hose and a $25 catch can with a bronze filter. I am thinking of just cutting this hose, adding some fuel grade hose, and inserting a catch can in the loop. The custom fit "Kits" are SUPER HIGH Profit margin quasi ripoffs.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
BTW, the purple colored hose, part # 6A664, is a bendable corrugated hose. It is where aftermarket Catch Cans tap into the PCV system. Rather than pay CRAZY $200 for a kit containing $15 of hose and a $25 catch can with a bronze filter. I am thinking of just cutting this hose, adding some fuel grade hose, and inserting a catch can in the loop. The custom fit "Kits" are SUPER HIGH Profit margin quasi ripoffs.
I've seen other owners of vehicles basically build their own using the factory connections. I don't see that buying a well-engineered kit as a 'rip-off' because you are paying others for their time and research.

I don't even fault those who dismiss the 'need' for a catch can either - it comes down to the perceived value and goals of the owner. I've seen some things done to cars that just screw up the vehicle from my perspective but I'm still enough of a Libertarian to say to myself that as long as it 'neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg' I don't care.

Justlooking

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 AT4 6.2L
Occupation
Retired
Know nothing about this.

Can someone explain?
I realize I’m replying to an old post but I didn’t know what a catch can was for either and I really didn’t understand the answer given above. This video gives a great explanation. I guess I need a picture to understand things!

Justlooking

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 AT4 6.2L
Occupation
Retired
^^^This ^^^

Please...no disrespect intended but Im not sure why owners think its a good idea to redesign vehicles and other recomendations engineers make. There are years of design and testing that goes into these things.

Catch can: if it needed it, Ford would have designed it in. I would venture to guess that a very large number of Ecoboost engines run fine and for a long time without it. There are a tiny few (%) that feel it needs it.
Oil: Ford knows what kind of oil it's engines need. Not sure why some owners feel they know more then the folks that engineered it.
I’m not sure how one can conclude that engineers at Ford didn’t think it was needed. As someone who spent his career in engineering and product development I would say the odds are very high that it was the accountants who didn’t think it was needed. You would probably be surprised at the number of suboptimal compromises engineers are forced to make in order to hit cost targets.

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Thus far catchcans have been touting the extraction of vented oil and preventing it from reaching the intake.
You seem to now claim that a catchcan actually improves crankcase ventilation?
If anything, a catchcan would restrict ventilation, certainly not enhance it.
Not when there is a vacuum pulling it. And in my case I have a second source. When you have vacuum in excess of pressure behind the separator there is no significant restrictions. That's simple reasoning - this is a draw-through filter, not inflating a balloon.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Not when there is a vacuum pulling it. And in my case I have a second source. When you have vacuum in excess of pressure behind the separator there is no significant restrictions. That's simple reasoning.
:idea:Right... simple reasoning... got it! :wink::giggle:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I’m not sure how one can conclude that engineers at Ford didn’t think it was needed. As someone who spent his career in engineering and product development I would say the odds are very high that it was the accountants who didn’t think it was needed. You would probably be surprised at the number of suboptimal compromises engineers are forced to make in order to hit cost targets.
You're right, not 'needed' is key. The bean counters were the driving factor here.

The truck will of course not fail as delivered, but I'm pretty sure the technical consensus is that the pollution control system re-introduces crud from the engine back into it (as PCV systems have done since inception) and rather than defeat them as enthusiasts did in the past the catch keeps more of it out.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen other owners of vehicles basically build their own using the factory connections. I don't see that buying a well-engineered kit as a 'rip-off' because you are paying others for their time and research.

I don't even fault those who dismiss the 'need' for a catch can either - it comes down to the perceived value and goals of the owner. I've seen some things done to cars that just screw up the vehicle from my perspective but I'm still enough of a Libertarian to say to myself that as long as it 'neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg' I don't care.
Point well taken Racket. I put on the Cat Back Exhaust, wrapped it in fiberglass myself, installed the injen intake kit myself, installed the BDS intrusion beams myself. I am happy to pay a shop to install the 3.5" BDS Lift kit w/ UCA's, 1" shackle lift - paying them for their time and mechanical knowledge. Sorry if I seemed to diss those who buy off the shelf Catch can kits. I am still figuring on a design for my truck (2-3 hrs so far), then installation (another 1-2 hrs) . Perhaps in the end it would be more efficient to just buy one off the shelf. If the system I put in does not blow up I will share it on this forum. I am uber libertarian myself.
Sponsored