Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My Blackstone test came back back very good, but the action of the catch can might be part of the reason for that.
Thus far catchcans have been touting the extraction of vented oil and preventing it from reaching the intake.
You seem to now claim that a catchcan actually improves crankcase ventilation?
If anything, a catchcan would restrict ventilation, certainly not enhance it.
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Thus far catchcans have been touting the extraction of vented oil and preventing it from reaching the intake.
You seem to now claim that a catchcan actually improves crankcase ventilation?
If anything, a catchcan would restrict ventilation, certainly not enhance it.
By design there is no way a catch can will restrict flow. At least not the Mishimoto can anyway. Of course the jury is out on a can helping with the carbon build up on the valves. But I know for a fact the crap I empty out of my catch can would have been routed back into the induction system. There is no denying that.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By design there is no way a catch can will restrict flow. At least not the Mishimoto can anyway. Of course the jury is out on a can helping with the carbon build up on the valves. But I know for a fact the crap I empty out of my catch can would have been routed back into the induction system. There is no denying that.
Not the point of my post ... Racket seemed to imply that a catchcan would actually enhance crankcase ventilation.
But to your point... don't empty your catchcan and see what restrictions develop, especially in cold weather.

Last edited:

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Oil Separator, Part #: 6A785. On the side of the motor, between block and Turbo
Oil Sep Location.jpg
The factory separator does a pretty good job. Like any separator it is not 100% effective but I believe this is the reason we mostly catch condensation and raw fuel in our aftermarket systems.
20201129_123247.jpg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Not the pointof my post ... Racket seemed to imply that a catchcan would actually enhance crankcase ventilation.
But to your point... don't empty your catchcan and see what restrictions develop, especially in cold weather.
I don't think I overtly claimed it would enhance crankcase ventilation but then I think that it does. My dual vacuum setup keeps the performance consistent.

I feel comfortable saying that ain't pure H2O either - who knows what water soluble crud is in that bong water?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think I overtly claimed it would enhance crankcase ventilation but then I think that it does. My dual vacuum setup keeps the performance consistent.

I feel comfortable saying that ain't pure H2O either - who knows what water soluble crud is in that bong water?
You're right, that's why I said "seemed to imply" but then I guess I wasn't far off.
I personally don't see the slightest justification to think so.
I figure the best you could hope for is it won't interfere when maintained meticulously.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Not the pointof my post ... Racket seemed to imply that a catchcan would actually enhance crankcase ventilation.

You're right, that's why I said "seemed to imply" but then I guess I wasn't far off.
I personally don't see the slightest justification to think so.
I figure the best you could hope for is it won't interfere when maintained meticulously.
I feel using the catch can is meticulous, so point taken. Whatever the gunk I am dumping from it contains is not being sent back into the engine, and it makes sense it is why my Blackstone oil test showed low amounts of specific contaminants and perhaps fuel (although fuel presence might be more of a result of driving conditions).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I feel using the catch can is meticulous, so point taken. Whatever the gunk I am dumping from it contains is not being sent back into the engine, and it makes sense it is why my Blackstone oil test showed low amounts of specific contaminants and perhaps fuel (although fuel presence might be more of a result of driving conditions).

meticulous would be cleaning it regularly.

Isn't changing your oil actually cheaper than paying Blackstone to to check it?
In fifty years of regular changes with good oil I have never had an engine part which ran in oil show wear.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Pretty sure you missed his point. Or maybe you were just being facetious? We don't analyze crankcase oil to avoid changing it. That is ridiculous. There is valuable information in that oil.
I don't understand why those that don't believe there is a need for supplemental PCV systems have to attempt to justify their opinion to those of us that do. What's the big deal?
Time to move on from this. It's getting worse than a "discussion" of politics or religion. Nobody is changing anybody else's mind and are just attempting to justify their opinion and prove how smart they are.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure you missed his point. Or maybe you were just being facetious? We don't analyze crankcase oil to avoid changing it. That is ridiculous. There is valuable information in that oil.
I don't understand why those that don't believe there is a need for supplemental PCV systems have to attempt to justify their opinion to those of us that do. What's the big deal?
Time to move on from this. It's getting worse than a "discussion" of politics or religion. Nobody is changing anybody else's mind and are just attempting to justify their opinion and prove how smart they are.
Is not I who missed the point....Actually as a fleet mechanic for a major oil company , determining oil change intervals and wear patterns on heavy equipment is precisely why we did oil analysis.
We never did oil analysis on light trucks or cars simply because it was a waste of money.

Why is it that your belief in the need for catchcans simply can not stand to be challenged?
Do you feel the need to justify your opinion to those who simply question your doctrine.
What's the big deal? Is it just to prove how smart you are?

If you think it is time to move on, then please do so,
I'll do so as well... when I'm ready.

Honestly, I m sorry you are offended. I don't claim to be any smarter than you and have no desire to prove it one way or the other.
Any doctrine which can not withstand scrutiny, needs more of it.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
7 more pages of drivel since I last checked in.

Still no.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer