Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I have a mishimoto catch can just sitting here.

For better or for worse, I have not decided if I'm going to install it yet.

I hope changing the oil at a responsible interval and using quality oil/filters will keep everything kosher until I can make a decision off of some more concrete data.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Its a mixt

Its a mixture of fuel, water and oil. When we think of fuel cleaning intake valves we think of port injection, which this mixture oozing its way though your intake manifold and sitting on the valves is nothing close in comparison.
Even on port injected vehicles I ran catch cans for the benefits of keeping the oil out of the combustion process and to keep it from pooling in the intake manifold.
Oozing? There's no oozing. It's vapors until the can collects it.

My point is until somebody does a real world comparison test, one Ranger engine with a catch can, and one Ranger engine without, followed by a motor tear down, it's all speculation as to if the can is really worth while.

The catch can companies could do that... but they don't, which is telling.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Oozing? There's no oozing. It's vapors until the can collects it.

My point is until somebody does a real world comparison test, one Ranger engine with a catch can, and one Ranger engine without, followed by a motor tear down, it's all speculation as to if the can is really worth while.

The catch can companies could do that... but they don't, which is telling.
The crazy thing about vapors is that they collect on surfaces.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The crazy thing about vapors is that they collect on surfaces.
But are they detrimental on a 2019/2020 Ranger that comes from the factory with hardware that is designed to address those vapors? Have you heard of any 2019/2020 Rangers that have had issues with valve coking? I haven't.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It would require a heck of a lot more than one, and would be expensive. No suprise the catch can makers won't bother as long as people buy them without needing any proof of efficacy.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It would require a heck of a lot more than one, and would be expensive. No suprise the catch can makers won't bother as long as people buy them without needing any proof of efficacy.
It's probably been discussed in this this thread that a number of makers - Ford included have adopted mpi to some of their GDI products, others are Audi, Toyota, Hyundai and I believe Infiniti. This of course adds cost/complexity and they are not doing it for those reasons.

Some of the chem makers have vids of before and after and claim some kind of percentage as to to effectiveness, eg their product removed 68.9999% of the deposits or something like that to reassure that their wares are worth the money.

I have an acquaintance who has looked at a number of 100k plus GDI heads and yes there are deposits on the intake valves - moreso than MPI but he didn't find any really issues with the valves ability to seal.

I'm contemplating adding catch can for insurance reasons - but the goods ones are a bit pricey, the less expensive on I have on my Hyundai GDI catches next to nothing.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
But the data acquired by (2) motors running side by side, one with a can and one without, followed by a tear down, would be better than no data whatsoever.

There's gotta be a reason Ford added the oil separator to every GDI Ranger.. I'm betting their in-house testing showed it worked good enough to get the motor through the warranty period without any coking issues.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's probably been discussed in this this thread that a number of makers - Ford included have adopted mpi to some of their GDI products, others are Audi, Toyota, Hyundai and I believe Infiniti. This of course adds cost/complexity and they are not doing it for those reasons.
Well, when the automakers do it they actually test a bunch of engines to make sure that the changes result in some kind of benefit that's worth the cost.

I suspect you're confusing MPI with dual injection, but I'm not certain enough to respond to the rest.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, when the automakers do it they actually test a bunch of engines to make sure that the changes result in some kind of benefit that's worth the cost.

I suspect you're confusing MPI with dual injection, but I'm not certain enough to respond to the rest.
just semantics - called it port injection or multi port injection, but it has in cylinder gdi injectors and also injectors in the intake outside of the cylinder itself. The benefit is keeping the intake valves clean - as with mpi engine before gdi .

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota has their own name for it , not sure what ford calls it, toyota uses the mpi injectors in certain operating scenarios like low load and rpm, higher demands for power revert to gdi.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just semantics - called it port injection or multi port injection, but it has in cylinder gdi injectors and also injectors in the intake outside of the cylinder itself. The benefit is keeping the intake valves clean - as with mpi engine before gdi .
Multi port injection was its own thing a long time ago, and doesn't require direct injection. It just meant an injector per cylinder, in contrast to single point injection.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Just so everyone knows....I run Mobil 1 Extended 5w-30 with a Motorcraft 910S filter. Change it every 4k to 6k. I'm filling up with Sams Club 91 octane at $2.21/gal right now. I run approximately 110mi/day on the Interstate. I'm keeping track of how much liquid I am catching daily....more to come.
BTW...had her at the dealer for an oil change and problem with the drivers side air. Anyway, they loved the wrap and I was talking to the service advisor about aftermarket mods and warranty. He told me that all of the service technicians love the mods and unless something can be traced DIRECTLY back to a mod....the warranty is fine.....just passing that along.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
why not an air/oil separator? Then you could skip the maintenance. Initial cost and install would cost more though.
Do you know what system Ford uses to separate oil for PCV?
Oil Separator, Part #: 6A785. On the side of the motor, between block and Turbo
Oil Sep Location.jpg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I have very similar results. Near as I can tell it is a water, fuel, and oil mixture. My Blackstone test came back fine so I am not going to fret over it. Truck runs fine.
My Blackstone test came back back very good, but the action of the catch can might be part of the reason for that.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
My Blackstone test came back back very good, but the action of the catch can might be part of the reason for that.
I believe it is. I also believe it is mostly water (condensation) in my case. But everything we empty out of that catch can would be sent back through the system. I am glad I opted for the can.
Sponsored