Official map update coming soon…. (Sep, 2022)

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I’ve seen another post on what I’m about to mention but I feel like it should be mentioned to……I have a usb dongle and that connects to my iPhone th through Bluetooth and Wi-Fi which then gives me wireless CarPlay. It’s about $100 and I have full on CarPlay features which means I can run whichever navigation app I want ( I prefer google maps but Apple Maps and Waze work too. I don’t have any others to speak to) it connects automatically(if you consider approximately 10-15 seconds automatically) as long as I have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on. Calls texts music apps it all works I love it. Phone always stays in my pocket. If you are an android user im sure there’s an equivalent product out there. Search “cplay2air” on Amazon and you’ll see plenty of options. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I got my wife the Carlin wireless caray adapter for her 21 Jeep because it didn't come with factory nav. It works well but does need to be unplugged and be plugged back in to get it to connect occasionally.

There are only two outfits that are currently making them for Android and one has a long lead time.

I have had Ford's factory nav in all my vehicles going back to 2012 when I got my 13 Focus ST, they have never failed to get me where I am going. Plus the SirusXM TravelLink you get with the factory nav is much better at showing road congestion, construction and accidents compared to Google Maps. Even if one of the dongles was $10 I wouldn't run Android Auto or Carplay exclusively for Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze if I had factory nav.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I have had Ford's factory nav in all my vehicles going back to 2012 when I got my 13 Focus ST, they have never failed to get me where I am going. Plus the SirusXM TravelLink you get with the factory nav is much better at showing road congestion, construction and accidents compared to Google Maps. Even if one of the dongles was $10 I wouldn't run Android Auto or Carplay exclusively for Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze if I had factory nav.
Your experience is 180 from mine. The ford nav is iffy, certainly far from being up to date, and the traffic features are piss poor compared to waze. I got it for backup when I'm out in the boonies, but never use it in normal driving. They've been doing construction locally and waze is updated almost immediately with reroutes and new overpasses, etc. I don't expect to see those on the ford nav for at least 2 years, if ever. The main reason the nav traffic is terrible is that it's based on DOT sensors which only cover main roads--it has no clue about secondaries. It'll happily route onto something that's a complete parking lot because it has no idea there's traffic there. Waze incorporates real-time data from users so it knows pretty fast when an alternate route is itself backed up.

aa wireless used to have a long lead time when they were on indiegogo, but afaik they're in stock at their current online store. https://www.aawireless.io/ Solid product, I haven't had any issues. (As an added bonus you can connect it with a really short & reliable USB cable, and then never have to deal with flaky cable problems again.)

ABKsDad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Your experience is 180 from mine. The ford nav is iffy, certainly far from being up to date, and the traffic features are piss poor compared to waze. I got it for backup when I'm out in the boonies, but never use it in normal driving. They've been doing construction locally and waze is updated almost immediately with reroutes and new overpasses, etc. I don't expect to see those on the ford nav for at least 2 years, if ever. The main reason the nav traffic is terrible is that it's based on DOT sensors which only cover main roads--it has no clue about secondaries. It'll happily route onto something that's a complete parking lot because it has no idea there's traffic there. Waze incorporates real-time data from users so it knows pretty fast when an alternate route is itself backed up.

aa wireless used to have a long lead time when they were on indiegogo, but afaik they're in stock at their current online store. https://www.aawireless.io/ Solid product, I haven't had any issues. (As an added bonus you can connect it with a really short & reliable USB cable, and then never have to deal with flaky cable problems again.)
Dito to what VAMike said. The AA Wireless is very rock solid for me.

However, I do occasionally see the AndroidAuto interface reboot, but I am wondering if there is some wirless interferance on a particular road segment in that the reboot always occurs in just that area.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, I ordered the $40 USB.
Followed directions,
AND, it never finished as advertised, after 2HRS of running!
So I gave up and shut it down.
BUT, when I later checked revs, it seems to be at the new 2 21.
So, who knows?
We'll see if it updated the highway exit numbers that MA changed this year, from Sequence from border, to Mileage from border.

Heh, everytime I've done this since 2019 I think it'll work as advertised this time!
Nope.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

I live southeast of Boston and Waze is 100% useless for anything but navigating. There is about 3 million people living in a 40 mile radius of where I am and almost no one uses Waze. I keep giving Waze a try for a week or two at a time and have never had a legitimate traffic congestion report, cop report, accident, etc. The promise of Waze using drivers to report traffic is a great idea if people use it, where I am they don't. My wife has to use Carplay and I have not even mentioned Waze to her.

Don't know where SirusXM TravelLink gets it's info from but it is certainly better than Google Maps. Over the past month the street I live on has been having a lot of tree trimming work done. TravelLink sets the area they are working red when they start in the morning and back to green when they knock off in the afternoon, Google Maps has not reflected this work at all.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well, I ordered the $40 USB.
Followed directions,
AND, it never finished as advertised, after 2HRS of running!
So I gave up and shut it down.
For what it's worth in my experience that's just a waste of gas. Leave the thing in, take a road trip. If it's not done, try again next time. It seems to incrementally copy things.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
For what it's worth in my experience that's just a waste of gas. Leave the thing in, take a road trip. If it's not done, try again next time. It seems to incrementally copy things.
Mine took 45 minutes to update. I recall the update I did about a year ago was also quicker than the claimed 60 minutes. I am glad this update finally added a new road next to my house, which has been there physically for three years, lol. All these factory navigation maps take so long to get updated....

(I downloaded the update and created my own USB for free).

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks. I think you're right.

I did the install again today and, after 40 minutes, it ended as advertised with the 'complete, ok to remove usb, effective next time start truck' message.
It was probably ok before, but I feel better now.

Thanks again.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Did mine the other day. The Ranger shut down twice on me, forgot that I had to turn off the idle timer. No confirmation that it loaded, but it did update, new restaurants in my area are now being listed. :computerrage:

Dennis Esler

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just did mine off of the USB download. Took 2 hours to complete the update.
Same here. Almost 2 hours. My street is finally on the map!

I am very disappointed that Ford did not notify me that there was an update. What's that all about?

Last edited:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Looks like ford pass notified me on October 10 of the update for my 2021 Ranger. Guess I'll find a empty USB and download it sometime.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
My22 Ranger Owners:

Any 22 owners able to update, map update does not register that my Vin # is valid - I get error code, it thinks that the Vin belongs to something (<2010) and not eligible for update.

My truck was built in Aug 2022, and anything I do that wants Vin # (Ford Parts/Map Update etc) their systems do not register VIN # as valid. Too New I guess

I have Map vs NA20 and fully updated Sync - Installed Now, looking to get updated to NA21.

What is average time for Vin #'s to be Valid in Fords system?

On that note as dealer was not clear:

I know that Sirus XM is good for 3 months (Trial)
But what about Navigation? and it's yearly updates

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I know that Sirus XM is good for 3 months (Trial)
But what about Navigation? and it's yearly updates
The nav system will work indefinitely. Ford may charge for map updates but in the big scheme of things the updates are mostly for points of interest. I have a couple of TomTom units that I purchased in the early 2000s that have not been updated in 15 or so years and still will get me where I need to go.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Any 22 owners able to update, map update does not register that my Vin # is valid - I get error code, it thinks that the Vin belongs to something (<2010) and not eligible for update
Same, mine was built in February
Sponsored