Map Update Troubleshooting - Loss of Nav VR

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Posted in a few spots, but may help here as well...

Given there have been more than a few posts about problems after a map update, I figured I’d add a thread with the general troubleshooting. The most common problem is loss of navigation voice commands after an install. This can be caused by:

1) A partial / failed install
2) The updated nav voice image not loading post install

For #1, the most common problem is removing the USB drive before the full installation has completed. The map update will automatically restart two times during the installation. Do not pull the stick, or you’ll end up with a partial installation that necessitates running the install all over again. These automatic restarts will show an installation complete pop-up very briefly. When the full install is complete, this pop-up will stick on screen. It will not go away until you acknowledge it, and SYNC will not automatically restart itself.

How do you know you have a partial install? You can check the installed packages via the IVSU Versions diag screen. This can be accessed on non-CD equipped vehicles by turning on the radio, then pressing and holding the seek forward/right buttons on the IP and steering wheel at the same time for ~10 seconds. You will then cancel the speaker walk around test, and select the APIM button in the upper left corner. Then, select IVSU Versions in the lower right. Check if there is a 14G422 package. If not, you have a partial install and need to re-run the map install utility. On CD equipped vehicles, the diag can be entered by pressing and holding the CD eject and seek forward/right hard keys.

For #2, if you have verified that you do have the updated 14G422, meaning the map install should have completed in full, and still do not have working navigation voice commands, you will need to run a master reset. This will erase the paired phones, favorites, etc. but should result in recovery of the nav voice commands.

Other items to note:
- The quality of the USB drive used can impact the total installation times. I’ve heard of a range from ~40 minutes to ~2 hours. My personal best is ~50-55 minutes.
- If you see an LST_ERR05, make sure you put the license file in the /SyncMyRide folder. Then check that all other .tar.gz files are also in that folder.
- If you see nothing happen, or a drop down notification that the drive was indexed, you have the file structure on the drive incorrect. Correct the file structure and try again.
Sponsored

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I don't remember the exact wording but the first pop ups say something like update complete. The last one says you can remove the usb.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I don't remember the exact wording but the first pop ups say something like update complete. The last one says you can remove the usb.
And stays on the screen until you cancel it.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @UofMEngineer - thanks for all your input and help on these issues. I've got one for you though - I downloaded the 119 map update, plugged it into the truck and got the software update prompt up top. I didn't however see the pop-up that mentions it being a large map update. I also didn't see ANY restarts of the sync system. I let it sit for roughly about two hours and there was no change. I used this same USB thumb drive with the previous map update without issue. Any suggestions?

OP
OP

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @UofMEngineer - thanks for all your input and help on these issues. I've got one for you though - I downloaded the 119 map update, plugged it into the truck and got the software update prompt up top. I didn't however see the pop-up that mentions it being a large map update. I also didn't see ANY restarts of the sync system. I let it sit for roughly about two hours and there was no change. I used this same USB thumb drive with the previous map update without issue. Any suggestions?
Hmm. Double check the files are on there in the right spots for grins. You should've seen the usual pop-up to acknowledge loss of voice and such during the update. It would seem it may have failed right away...hard to tell. Do you have v3.4 installed? You could always try to do it again, and if it does the same submit a bug report and I can go log hunting to see if I can make heads or tails of what is going on.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. Double check the files are on there in the right spots for grins. You should've seen the usual pop-up to acknowledge loss of voice and such during the update. It would seem it may have failed right away...hard to tell. Do you have v3.4 installed? You could always try to do it again, and if it does the same submit a bug report and I can go log hunting to see if I can make heads or tails of what is going on.
Everything is where it should be, I didn't tinker with the autoinstall.lst at all, just downloaded straight from ALOM, copied it over to the thumb drive and tried to install. I do have 3.4.43 (5u5t-14g381-ed) installed. I tried it three times, the first time I went for about a half hour, nothing, second time for about an hour, nothing and this morning for two hours and still nada. How can I submit a bug report for you?

If all else fails and I can go through the downgrade / format (nuclear) option but thought I'd reach out to you first.

1.png

a.png

b.png

OP
OP

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything is where it should be, I didn't tinker with the autoinstall.lst at all, just downloaded straight from ALOM, copied it over to the thumb drive and tried to install. I do have 3.4.43 (5u5t-14g381-ed) installed. I tried it three times, the first time I went for about a half hour, nothing, second time for about an hour, nothing and this morning for two hours and still nada. How can I submit a bug report for you?

If all else fails and I can go through the downgrade / format (nuclear) option but thought I'd reach out to you first.

1.png

a.png

b.png
Do you still see the old map file and voice file in the IVSU Versions screen? Might help point to where it is / isn’t getting.

For bug reports, connect to WiFi. Then go to settings, general, sync analytics and diagnostics. Turn on the option for diagnostics. Then, plug in the drive and let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes. If nothing happens, go back to that same settings menu and select the bug report option. Then you can pick map update (I think) under Nav, and submit. It should send it in then, or at the next WiFi connection.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you still see the old map file and voice file in the IVSU Versions screen? Might help point to where it is / isn’t getting.

For bug reports, connect to WiFi. Then go to settings, general, sync analytics and diagnostics. Turn on the option for diagnostics. Then, plug in the drive and let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes. If nothing happens, go back to that same settings menu and select the bug report option. Then you can pick map update (I think) under Nav, and submit. It should send it in then, or at the next WiFi connection.
Yeah, looks like it's still the old stuff. I submitted two bug reports, one for Navigation>Other, and one for Software Updates>Not installing from USB. Let me know if you need any info to pull the logs. Thanks!
20200810_170304.jpg

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
A couple other notes from my time consuming, but ultimately successful, battle to update this.

My personal recommendation is that you turn off Bluetooth in your truck before you plug the USB drive in and start the process. Every time your phone (or other device) connects to Sync it will clear the "System updating" top banner with one telling you it's connecting to your phone. At the completion of connecting it'll go back to the standard Time/Date banner *not* the "System updating" one, and it'll be a mystery to you whether you've missed one of the restarts, the update has hung, etc etc.

Also, after you've finally completed the installation and need to manually restart Sync, it needs to be a cold restart. I fought with this for 10-15 minutes with power downs, door openings, and soft Sync reboots but each time I had no nav VR. When I went into my house to hunt around online for a fix for awhile and then went back out to my truck and started it up, it was resolved without further intervention.

OP
OP

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple other notes from my time consuming, but ultimately successful, battle to update this.

My personal recommendation is that you turn off Bluetooth in your truck before you plug the USB drive in and start the process. Every time your phone (or other device) connects to Sync it will clear the "System updating" top banner with one telling you it's connecting to your phone. At the completion of connecting it'll go back to the standard Time/Date banner *not* the "System updating" one, and it'll be a mystery to you whether you've missed one of the restarts, the update has hung, etc etc.

Also, after you've finally completed the installation and need to manually restart Sync, it needs to be a cold restart. I fought with this for 10-15 minutes with power downs, door openings, and soft Sync reboots but each time I had no nav VR. When I went into my house to hunt around online for a fix for awhile and then went back out to my truck and started it up, it was resolved without further intervention.
Cold restart usually means off for about 2 minutes if it’s been running for a while. You can use the USB lighting as an indicator when it’s fully shut down.

Kjwflippin

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I was wondering why it kept disappearing when I would go into the house. If this banner is not displayed does that mean that the install crashed? Also I got about 40 min into an update and had a pop up that said an ignition cycle was necessary to continue onto part 2 of the update, after restarting the truck the banner would not come back on until I unplugged the USB and plugged it back in (waited about 30 min), at this point I'm assuming I screwed myself over and am going back to square one. Was I not supposed to restart the truck there? I did notice as I was pulling into a gas station the display was booting back up. This is all on a 2019 Lariat btw.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You were not supposed to restart. I did the same thing. After that I left mine in until it was completely finished. When that happens you can’t do anything except respond to the screen and remove the USB. Let it go until it ends.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I am struggling with this now. Updated maps with the download version from Ford, and it will not recognize voice commands for navigation. I have done a full reset and reinstalled the update, but no improvement. I assume that the part number at the top of the list is what I installed. Is it possible to fix this without paying the dealer to do it?

448A2B8C-7F64-4849-8544-4FB1850CE18D.jpeg

49F2FDC6-FA47-476A-A77C-0F2745458C0A.jpeg

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am struggling with this now. Updated maps with the download version from Ford, and it will not recognize voice commands for navigation. I have done a full reset and reinstalled the update, but no improvement. I assume that the part number at the top of the list is what I installed. Is it possible to fix this without paying the dealer to do it?

448A2B8C-7F64-4849-8544-4FB1850CE18D.jpeg

49F2FDC6-FA47-476A-A77C-0F2745458C0A.jpeg
Did you leave the USB in until it finished? When it‘s completely finished the pop up screen will stay on. Then you can remove the USB.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Did you leave the USB in until it finished? When it‘s completely finish the pop up screen will stay on.
I think so, but I’m probably going to try again with the Bluetooth turned off.
Sponsored