More cost cutting, or just stupid design? (Bed Drainage idiocy)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
The engineer who supervised the Ford bed drainage so ice would form on the driveshaft...
This was his previous project.....

download (1).jpg
best ice sculpture ive evern seen! lol.
think jeopardy style questions and answers from picture clues. Comic book bad guy vehicles for 500 Alex.
"if mr freeze was a truck driver"

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
So, it's been cold here... bunch of freeze thaw cycles every few days over last few weeks. Had a mixed snow/ice fall on Friday, which means the bed filled with some since I haven't received my tonneau cover yet. With temps hovering right at freezing last few days, there's melt during the day, but refreeze with windchill or at night.

Once I get a tonneau cover installed, I don't expect this to be as much an issue, but right now, and for anyone that doesn't have a cover, I noticed this when I happened to crawl under my truck to take a pic for someone....

95665AA9-65ED-47C4-B173-791AA3B2CEE4.jpeg

So, is this a case of Ford deleting yet another part that served a purpose, (some kind of water divertor or something) or was someone just too stupid to not realize this would happen?

As sensitive as driveshafts seem to be when out of balance, and the havoc that can wreak on carrier bearings/bushings, this just seems super ignorant to me, to have a water drainage hole for the bed directly above the driveshaft. Not to mention that if the block grows large enough, the ice can potentially do some actual damage as it turns and contacts items in the area.

Again, once I get my cover in a week or two, this becomes a non issue, for me, but it just strikes me as.... dumb as hell.
to be fair, living in an area that gets mild winters for the most part, ive never seen ice form on a pickup driveshaft like that. next time its cold here i will see if i can catch a picture of mine with ice lol.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Honestly it looks like the water is coming from between the cab and bed, the drains are in the corners and typically run straight downward, well away from the driveshaft.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
yes. I don't know about Canadia but US has too many laws protecting employees and companies and the only people unions help are the overpaid union leaders. let's look at the twinkie. baker's union went on strike and they all lost their jobs because the company ended up selling to Sara Lee
true story and the twinkies dont taste the same either... im a fat man i notice things. lol

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
My 2019 Lariat with the 501 package has the heated driveshaft, heard it was decontented in subsequent yrs. along with engine cover, pencil tray, gear shift lights, etc.
and my adjustable head rests... :(

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you to those members who properly quote posts so no matter what gets deleted, the rest of us can still enjoy the shit show.

My hats off to you guys
Sometimes, a quote only captures half of the vitriol. What one really needs is the screenshot. ?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I called the dude a troll because he said he contacted Ford and they said he had to go where he bought it. That's outright bullshit.
I'm charitably giving that dude the benefit of the doubt and assume he really did call Ford over some issue, but it was a stupid little issue and so he was told Ford wouldn't pay to correct it, but he was welcome to see if the seller would like to address it as a matter of goodwill.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm charitably giving that dude the benefit of the doubt and assume he really did call Ford over some issue, but it was a stupid little issue and so he was told Ford wouldn't pay to correct it, but he was welcome to see if the seller would like to address it as a matter of goodwill.
That seems much more plausible.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You were sent a love letter but I think Dave may have re-directed it.
I just got here and he deleted his own account after that last post. He would've got the boot anyways for that one. ?

Sometimes, a quote only captures half of the vitriol. What one really needs is the screenshot. ?
One bonus is I can still see all deleted posts. Some are not to pretty. lol :shock:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I just got here and he deleted his own account after that last post. He would've got the boot anyways for that one. ?

One bonus is I can still see all deleted posts. Some are not to pretty. lol :shock:
I was going to say something about the stuff you miss while you’re at work but I guess nothing gets by you. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, I just got this by email - I wonder what this guy is looking for...

68D2BFCE-61C5-4284-9B10-BF0AD37AFBC8.jpeg
Sponsored