First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
Long story, but I just had my 2019 ranger lariat repurchased from Ford and got a new 2021 lariat. I was surprised at cost cutting measures I noticed between the two, I’m sure more but this is what I have found.
- on 2019 all 4 doors had the touch sensors to unlock when you touch the handles, only 2021 only front doors
-on 2019 both drivers and passenger head rest are nicely stitched and adjust horizontally, on 2021 only drivers side. Passenger side isn’t even stitched to match the seats
-on 2019 the rear head rest fold down to increase visibility, 2021 they don’t fold
-doors on 2021 must not be sound sprayed or something, closing them sounds tinny. On 2019 closing doors hard sound solid.

none of this big, just surprised at how they cut costs!
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Why was your 2019 bought back?

OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
Why was your 2019 bought back?
Filed against lemon law, I’m told it is only the second ranger in US that has been repurchased. Spent 24 days at Ford in 11 months with acceleration shuddering problem and AC problems

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I guess I haven't seen a 2019 but I test drove a 2021 and bought a 2020. Coming from a Ram 1500 Longhorn I just assumed it was because my old truck so well appointed that the "cheapness" of the Lariat was just because there is no King Ranch equiv. However, the last F-150 I had was a Lariat and didn't feel this cheap given the technology available for it's time.

The tinny clink of the door closure is not great and interior noise is pretty bad. If this cost what Rangers used to cost then it would be more acceptable but in theory this was worth $45k. I'm guessing some of this can be fixed with sound deadening material but I haven't looked into it. C'est La Vie!

OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
I guess I haven't seen a 2019 but I test drove a 2021 and bought a 2020. Coming from a Ram 1500 Longhorn I just assumed it was because my old truck so well appointed that the "cheapness" of the Lariat was just because there is no King Ranch equiv. However, the last F-150 I had was a Lariat and didn't feel this cheap given the technology available for it's time.

The tinny clink of the door closure is not great and interior noise is pretty bad. If this cost what Rangers used to cost then it would be more acceptable but in theory this was worth $45k. I'm guessing some of this can be fixed with sound deadening material but I haven't looked into it. C'est La Vie!
2019 was absolutely quieter, guess they eliminated some insulation

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
2019 was absolutely quieter, guess they eliminated some insulation
Shed weight, better MPG! haha I'm sure just cost cutting though.

I believe the earlier Rangers had power recline and on mine, it's just a lever.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
How many tie downs in the bed? 2019 had 6 and 2020+ have 4 included.
What steering knuckles do you have? Sometime in 2020 they changed from aluminum to iron.
Oh and they removed the EcoBoost badging.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Mine spent 20 days at ford total with bad rear brakes, they told me to sue them when I asked for a buyback.

guess I’m glad they didn’t and finally fixed the issues as I’d be pissed if I paid what I paid, and then got swapped into the 2020+ nonsense.

865RangerVol

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger. 2020 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I have a feb 2020 production model XLT Sport 301A. It was recently in the shop due to being hit on the Ford dealer parking lot (they owned up to wrecking the bumper, But I digress). They gave me a nov 2020 302A 4x4 as a loaner. It had the same lack of door/sound Insulation, however, I swear it drove better than mine. Meaning, the loaner drove like a car (soft, cornering and easy acceleration, tight ride) where as my truck definitely drives like what I expect a truck to drive as (cushy braking, hard cornering, takes bumps better). Only thing I can think of is that my sport model has some dealer installed or other upgrades because it is “sport” model. Who knows.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have a feb 2020 production model XLT Sport 301A. It was recently in the shop due to being hit on the Ford dealer parking lot (they owned up to wrecking the bumper, But I digress). They gave me a nov 2020 302A 4x4 as a loaner. It had the same lack of door/sound Insulation, however, I swear it drove better than mine. Meaning, the loaner drove like a car (soft, cornering and easy acceleration, tight ride) where as my truck definitely drives like what I expect a truck to drive as (cushy braking, hard cornering, takes bumps better). Only thing I can think of is that my sport model has some dealer installed or other upgrades because it is “sport” model. Who knows.
Tire pressure can explain a lot of that. I know there’s a big difference between 30-35psi. My truck came with 50psi in the tires and drove terrible.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a 2020 XLT FX4 a few weeks ago. Nov 2020 build date. I’ve noticed the tinny ness of the doors but only when the windows are down. If all the windows are up it sounds solid. I feel better with it being a second model year though as I don’t expect to have any of those early production problems. And mine has absolutely no wallllowness, bounciness, or side to side movement that I heard complained about so much by reviewer‘s driving 2019 FX4s.

OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
How many tie downs in the bed? 2019 had 6 and 2020+ have 4 included.
What steering knuckles do you have? Sometime in 2020 they changed from aluminum to iron.
Oh and they removed the EcoBoost badging.
Yes removed the eco post badge. 2019 and 2020 both have 4 ties downs.
Sponsored