First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Sub'd is short for subscribed, same as following thread.

How does this tune compare to 5 Star?
Thanks for the explanation.

I have know 1st hand knowledge of the 5 Star tune but I can attest to the quality of the LIVERNOIS tune. I had one in my Explorer Sport because it was overwhelmingly the most highly recommended tune by the 3.5L ECOBOOST Crowd and I figured that the majority stood a better than average chance of being right and I was not disappointed. So when Anthony at LIVERNOIS said they had a tune for the Ranger I couldn't sign up faster!

I was not disappointed, this tune is AWESOME! I installed the 91-93 Octane tune and the Ranger is quicker than the EX Sport! Gas mileage has been GREAT (as long as I keep my foot out of it) normal driving is, well, normal. Once the computer did its learning, with a light foot you barely notice the tune, except you no longer have the annoying stop/start crap, and just a little foot reminds you that you have a beast under the hood.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else have as best as I can...
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So sounds like it turns the D mode into something like S mode? Be great if they had tire calibration too. Do they have multiple tunes like 5 Star, like everyday 87, 91, etc?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
So sounds like it turns the D mode into something like S mode? Be great if they had tire calibration too. Do they have multiple tunes like 5 Star, like everyday 87, 91, etc?
I can't believe my ignorance about Sport Mode, I thought it was pretty much a "Select Shit" mode. I tried it and I get better results in the Drive Mode with the tune installed.

I currently have two tunes to choose from; 87 - 89 Octane and 91 - 93 Octane (I have this tune installed)

I do not know if LIVERNOIS has other tunes in the works but I would expect so.

MY EX Sport tuner had 87, 89, 91, 93 and an additional Tow Tune. But those were "smaller" tunes with somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 blocks of code per tune.

My Ranger Tune had 95 blocks of code, a much bigger tune that took twice as long to load...

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Just during the upload of the new tune. I store mine in the center counsel but it doesn't have to be any where near the vehicle after the tune. As an aside, you should plug your tuner into your PC for periodic updates from LMS. Updates usually are updates to the tuner software to keep it current for tune changes to your vehicle if called for, not necessarily tune updates.
@Livernois Motorsports

I live in WA, where 93 can be hard to come by. Generally, 92 is considered “Premium” here.

How would this tune run with 92?

Would 1 point off the octane level really impact much?

Would I just run it with the 93 tune?

Do you guys plan on working up something for 92?

Any ETA for the tire size alteration feature? I’d love to compensate my speedo for the extra 2 inches of tire I’ve added.

Sorry for the question barrage. Appreciate any info.
My apologies for the delayed response. The tunes for the Ranger are able to adjust for small changes in octane similar to the factory calibration's logic. So we have a low octane tune 87-89 Performance that is able to be used with any fuels 87 or above. Then we also have the more powerful tune option which is the 91-93 Performance tune which can be used with any fuels 91 octane or higher. As it sees higher octane fuel being used it can scale up spark basically to take further advantage, so If you are running 92 I would definitely suggest using the 91-93 tune for the best results possible. The tire size and gear ratio adjustment features are live on the newest Mycal touch firmware versions which I know is working well on the 2015+ F-150s for example, but we have not had another ranger here since then to verify this since it's a bit different. If anyone is local with our tune on their Ranger and would like to bring it down for validation please don't hesitate to reach out and we would be happy to help out.

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Guys,

Thank you very much for the kind words and helping to answer some questions on here as well! I did not see a multi-quote option on here so just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's been a part of this thread and for the positive feedback as well.

We are continuing to improve upon our current tune offerings for most all of the vehicles we support typically including the newer models such as the Ranger. One nice feature with the new Mycal touch tuner as another member on here mentioned is the fact that the tunes can be updated automatically now unlike our prior Mycal which we had to send updates to each customer per their requests. So you can periodically connect the Mycal touch to your PC with the update app installed and it will automatically check for updates to the firmware and also custom tune files as well. One update that is more of an optional request would be disabling the automatic start stop system. We've were originally only adding that to the tunes per customer's requests but on most platforms it was so popular it's now being defeated by default. But just give us a shout if anyone running the tune still has auto S/S active if you would like it taken care of and we would be happy to help out. Thanks again guys, we greatly appreciate all of your support!

Anthony @ LMS

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Guys,

Thank you very much for the kind words and helping to answer some questions on here as well! I did not see a multi-quote option on here so just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's been a part of this thread and for the positive feedback as well.

We are continuing to improve upon our current tune offerings for most all of the vehicles we support typically including the newer models such as the Ranger. One nice feature with the new Mycal touch tuner as another member on here mentioned is the fact that the tunes can be updated automatically now unlike our prior Mycal which we had to send updates to each customer per their requests. So you can periodically connect the Mycal touch to your PC with the update app installed and it will automatically check for updates to the firmware and also custom tune files as well. One update that is more of an optional request would be disabling the automatic start stop system. We've were originally only adding that to the tunes per customer's requests but on most platforms it was so popular it's now being defeated by default. But just give us a shout if anyone running the tune still has auto S/S active if you would like it taken care of and we would be happy to help out. Thanks again guys, we greatly appreciate all of your support!

Anthony @ LMS
Anthony, to multi-quote hit reply to the first thread you want to quote and then scroll back to the next threat you want to reply to and just select "reply."
The 2nd quote will appear below the 1st quote.
I just figured this out today... :)

Lee

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Anthony, to multi-quote hit reply to the first thread you want to quote and then scroll back to the next threat you want to reply to and just select "reply."
The 2nd quote will appear below the 1st quote.
I just figured this out today... :)

Lee
Thank you very much for the tip Lee! I learn something new every day on the forums.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
....The tire size and gear ratio adjustment features are live on the newest Mycal touch firmware versions which I know is working well on the 2015+ F-150s for example....
Are you saying that the tire size and gear ratio should now be working on the Ranger as well, just that it hasn't been confirmed? I checked for updates to my Mycal Touch on Monday and it said it was up-to-date. I've been able to adjust the tire size on the Mycal, but it causes a U0422 code to be thrown (I see it on Forscan and can't seem to clear it w/ a PCM Relearn). I believe it still says "Under Development" for the tire size adjustment.

I'll plug in and check for updates to my Mycal Touch again after work.

Same issue they cover over on ford-trucks.com

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Are you saying that the tire size and gear ratio should now be working on the Ranger as well, just that it hasn't been confirmed? I checked for updates to my Mycal Touch on Monday and it said it was up-to-date. I've been able to adjust the tire size on the Mycal, but it causes a U0422 code to be thrown (I see it on Forscan and can't seem to clear it w/ a PCM Relearn). I believe it still says "Under Development" for the tire size adjustment.

I'll plug in and check for updates to my Mycal Touch again after work.

Same issue they cover over on ford-trucks.com
Yes the tire and gear ratio adjustment feature is live on the Mycal touch tuning devices for the 2015+ Ford trucks. We've not had another ranger here in the shop to confirm however as you've mentioned. Sorry to hear of the DTC code you are experiencing currently. There is a keep alive memory (KAM) reset option in the tuner that can be used to clear some misc. codes that will not clear otherwise you could always try.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
My apologies for the delayed response. The tunes for the Ranger are able to adjust for small changes in octane similar to the factory calibration's logic. So we have a low octane tune 87-89 Performance that is able to be used with any fuels 87 or above. Then we also have the more powerful tune option which is the 91-93 Performance tune which can be used with any fuels 91 octane or higher. As it sees higher octane fuel being used it can scale up spark basically to take further advantage, so If you are running 92 I would definitely suggest using the 91-93 tune for the best results possible. The tire size and gear ratio adjustment features are live on the newest Mycal touch firmware versions which I know is working well on the 2015+ F-150s for example, but we have not had another ranger here since then to verify this since it's a bit different. If anyone is local with our tune on their Ranger and would like to bring it down for validation please don't hesitate to reach out and we would be happy to help out.
Do you have any dyno graphs for the 87-89 octane tune?

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Do you have any dyno graphs for the 87-89 octane tune?
Looks like the 91-93 octane Performance tune is the only dyno chart that we've released so far. I will check in with the calibrators to see if there is a dyno chart available for the lower octane tune also. These ecoboost engines are really intended to run best on premium fuels even on the factory calibration, and the stock horsepower / torque figures are obtained on 91+ octane premium fuels typically. So they've been proven to lose upwards of 12-15% of their advertised 270 HP when dropping down to 87 octane. So the lower octane tunes usually see about half the performance improvements when compared to premium fuel. The F-150 Ecoboost models for example make about 35-40 whp on the 87 tune and closer to 70+ whp on 93 octane just to give you an idea of the differences.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Looks like the 91-93 octane Performance tune is the only dyno chart that we've released so far. I will check in with the calibrators to see if there is a dyno chart available for the lower octane tune also. These ecoboost engines are really intended to run best on premium fuels even on the factory calibration, and the stock horsepower / torque figures are obtained on 91+ octane premium fuels typically. So they've been proven to lose upwards of 12-15% of their advertised 270 HP when dropping down to 87 octane. So the lower octane tunes usually see about half the performance improvements when compared to premium fuel. The F-150 Ecoboost models for example make about 35-40 whp on the 87 tune and closer to 70+ whp on 93 octane just to give you an idea of the differences.
On these trucks from what I have read, the claimed power numbers 270hp/310tq are rated using 87 octane. With improvements from moving up to 91-93 octane.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/01/20...power-numbers-on-93-octane-fuel-dyno-results/

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
how many tunes should I expect when buying the 599 my calibrator?

sorry is redundant, I looked through this post and did not see it. Also - anyone have MPG change with tune?

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
On these trucks from what I have read, the claimed power numbers 270hp/310tq are rated using 87 octane. With improvements from moving up to 91-93 octane.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/01/20...power-numbers-on-93-octane-fuel-dyno-results/
I was just going off of Ford's usual advertised HP / TQ specs on their website that I've read on other vehicles ecoboost vehicles in the past. Often times they'll add a disclaimer at the bottom most don't see that tells you HP and TQ achieved on 93 octane. I've just checked and it does show that for the Rangers as well, but thanks for sharing that link too!

Ranger stock HP on 93oct.JPG

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
how many tunes should I expect when buying the 599 my calibrator?

sorry is redundant, I looked through this post and did not see it. Also - anyone have MPG change with tune?
No worries, we're always happy to help out! The Mycal tuners are sent without tunes since we need to get the stock ECU codes from your vehicle to set up the corresponding tune files for your stock strategy. So you would pull the codes up and email us to request your tunes. Currently we have tunes for 87-89 and 91-93 octane fuels as well and offer them with the auto start stop disabled or left enabled. The Mycal tuners include free lifetime tune support and we've not actually hit a limit yet on how many tunes they can hold. But it's estimated between 10 and 20 tunes can be stored in the device depending on the vehicle / file size.

We really don't advertise fuel mileage improvements since there are so many variables including how people drive the vehicles. But average customer feedback wise we see people telling us they often times see 1-2 MPG increase and some even claim more with additional performance modifications. Here's a link to one of our customer's posts on here saying he's picked up some MPG that he lost when going to larger tires that is a great example.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/gas-milage-with-lift.3648/

I'm running +3.5" w/ 285/70-17 Ridge Grapplers. I also dropped the front spoiler and put the FX4 skid on, which probably impacted things. All said, I dropped down to about 17 Highway/15 City. Got the Livernois 93 Octane Tune, and that put me back at 21 Highway/18 City. The tune will pay for itself in time.
Sponsored