First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I have been using the K&N HP-1002 oil filters on my Ranger, and before that on my Explorer. The HP oil filters are the ones with the nut welded on them to help loosen them. I don't care about the nut so much and I buy them because they are marketed as being high flow. I have been buying them at Wal-mart for $9.97.

For a while I have been going to Wal-mart and they have always been out of stock. Today I went to Wal-mart and they have a K&N oil filter with the part number SO-1002. Same $9.97 price. It advertises 20,000 mile protection and 99% efficiency.

I don't know what this means. I'm going to change the filter at each oil change, even if I don't have to, so I don't care about the 20,000 mile protection. What does 99% efficiency mean? It stops 99% of all of the contaminants in the oil? Or the flow rate is only reduced by 1% making it 99% efficient?

Looking through the threads into the filters, they appear to have similar construction. I can't find any info on the "SO" version of these filters. Perhaps they are sold exclusively at Wal-mart?

IMG_3253.JPG
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It’s the particle size that it traps. So it’s probably in the .5 micron range. Does it say smallest particle size it filter to? That’s what is most important. Their supposed claim is the volume of material in the filter will allow this efficiency

OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It’s the particle size that it traps. So it’s probably in the .5 micron range. Does it say smallest particle size it filter to? That’s what is most important. Their supposed claim is the volume of material in the filter will allow this efficiency
I found this answer on the walmart.com website:

HIGH FILTERATION EFFICIENCY: Captures 99% of contaminate greater than 30 micron​

https://www.walmart.com/ip/K-N-Sele...A-VOLKSWAGEN-Vehicle-Models-SO-1002/634533795

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wix are 21 micron and motorcraft is probably right there with them
I found the specs on the "HP" version and it says "Down to 10 microns." I might have to take this filter back to walmart.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have been using the K&N HP-1002 oil filters on my Ranger, and before that on my Explorer. The HP oil filters are the ones with the nut welded on them to help loosen them. I don't care about the nut so much and I buy them because they are marketed as being high flow. I have been buying them at Wal-mart for $9.97.

For a while I have been going to Wal-mart and they have always been out of stock. Today I went to Wal-mart and they have a K&N oil filter with the part number SO-1002. Same $9.97 price. It advertises 20,000 mile protection and 99% efficiency.

I don't know what this means. I'm going to change the filter at each oil change, even if I don't have to, so I don't care about the 20,000 mile protection. What does 99% efficiency mean? It stops 99% of all of the contaminants in the oil? Or the flow rate is only reduced by 1% making it 99% efficient?

Looking through the threads into the filters, they appear to have similar construction. I can't find any info on the "SO" version of these filters. Perhaps they are sold exclusively at Wal-mart?

IMG_3253.JPG
Just do yourself a favor and stop buying the K&N oil filters!! Buy the Motocraft Filters as they are way better quality compared to most filters on the market!!!

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
The above info given is correct.
You also need a need a 20 000 mile oil to go along with it though. Not just 'any oil". If you have a vehicle with any amount of mileage on it, it's wise to use an engine oil flush to ensure you get all the old gunk out.

OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
You also need a need a 20 000 mile oil to go along with it though.
There is a disclaimer on the package that says to follow manufacturer's recommended change intervals. Ford says 5000 miles, same as oil change interval.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
There is a disclaimer on the package that says to follow manufacturer's recommended change intervals. Ford says 5000 miles, same as oil change interval.
That's because the lawyer that wrote the owner's manual is assuming you're using Ford oil. You're allowed to use whatever oil you want to, including an oil and filter combination good for 20 000 miles.
https://www.amsoil.ca/about/guarantee/

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That's because the lawyer that wrote the owner's manual is assuming you're using Ford oil. You're allowed to use whatever oil you want to, including an oil and filter combination good for 20 000 miles.
https://www.amsoil.ca/about/guarantee/
And the best part is if you use the oil that has said guarantee and follow it when the manufacturer says not to then you are asking for trouble but then again most of us know that already

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I found this video to be quite informative when deciding of which brand to use. Then I decided to just take it to the dealer, and use my pass points for the free change. Hope the video helps.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If it was up to me I'd pack up Amsoil and ship it north, as far north as the planet goes. Sounds like they are showing signs of desperation - "runs on freedom" why not something clever like "built on pyramid marketing " with a pic of King Tut with a sh$t eating grin.

OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
You know; I’m certain there are some quality motor oils that could safely be used in the Ranger all the way to 20,000 miles, but I would just feel uncomfortable doing that. One thing I like about changing my own oil is that it gives me the chance to checkout other parts of my truck. Just getting under it and inspecting the tires and suspension components makes me feel better.
Sponsored