First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
If you haven’t used all your Ford Pass points use them to buy oil filters.
I had 43,000 Ford Pass points, but I don't anymore. I used them today! I bought 3 oil filters that they did not have in stock and had to be ordered :rolleyes:. I bought two bottles of 80W90 axle lubricant because a FPP rear differential cover that I ordered from Levittown Ford will arrive here next week. I put the rest of the points toward a console safe ?.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The above info given is correct.
You also need a need a 20 000 mile oil to go along with it though. Not just 'any oil". If you have a vehicle with any amount of mileage on it, it's wise to use an engine oil flush to ensure you get all the old gunk out.
How did I know after reading this....
That's because the lawyer that wrote the owner's manual is assuming you're using Ford oil. You're allowed to use whatever oil you want to, including an oil and filter combination good for 20 000 miles.
https://www.amsoil.ca/about/guarantee/
...that an Amsoil sales pitch was coming?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's because the lawyer that wrote the owner's manual is assuming you're using Ford oil. You're allowed to use whatever oil you want to, including an oil and filter combination good for 20 000 miles.
https://www.amsoil.ca/about/guarantee/
Hi CR,

Ford lawyers did not write the manual. It is drafted by Helm and sent to the Chief Program Engineer for editing and after several revisions, signed off by the Chief Program Engineer. In case of the Ranger, he/she did a piss poor job.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi CR,

In case of the Ranger, he/she did a piss poor job.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
why do you say that - because it (manual) doesn't allow for 20k OCI if Amsoil is used ? Everyone makes a mistake now and then or so I'm led to believe.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
why do you say that - because it (manual) doesn't allow for 20k OCI if Amsoil is used ? Everyone makes a mistake now and then or so I'm led to believe.
Amsoil...... More like Scamoil!!! For the price you pay and the lack of availability it isnt worth it. That is why I stick with what the manufacturer has or Mobil 1. Also there is a reason oil companies still put on the bottle "FOLLOW MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED INTERVALS!!"

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dtech,

There are quite a few errors and omissions that could leave the owner in a pickle..like the bumper lock for the spare tire access, for example....not mentioned.

Has nothing to do with Amsoil or lack of mention....it is a Ford Manual so it mentions the proper Ford lubricants for Ranger. Ford could not test every lubricant on the market.... It is up to the customer's delight/dismay on the lubricants they use.

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jdagg2003

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 2wd
There is a disclaimer on the package that says to follow manufacturer's recommended change intervals. Ford says 5000 miles, same as oil change interval.
I would still stick to the manufacturer recommended interval, just wanted to point out it's 10000 miles or 1 year, not 5000.

OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I would still stick to the manufacturer recommended interval, just wanted to point out it's 10000 miles or 1 year, not 5000.
That is not exactly right. There isn't a set interval. The Ranger has an "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor." It tells you when to change the oil.

Normal Scheduled Maintenance

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.

When to Expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message
Interval1
Vehicle Use and Example​
7500–10000 mi (12,000–16,000 km)
Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling
5000–7500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)
Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation
3000–5000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)
Extreme
Maximum load or towing Extreme hot or cold operation Extended engine idling

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi CR,

Ford lawyers did not write the manual. It is drafted by Helm and sent to the Chief Program Engineer for editing and after several revisions, signed off by the Chief Program Engineer. In case of the Ranger, he/she did a piss poor job.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Couldn't agree more Phil, as I have stated before, the manual on the Ranger is the worst I have ever seen and I have purchased many new vehicles from several different manufacturers over the years.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I get used oil analysis on my family's vehicles occasionally and regardless of make and model I consistently get the best results with Pennzoil Platinum. At this point I use that in everything. My daughter's Fiesta calls for 10k mile oil changes and once I didn't catch up with her until there was 12k on the oil so I sent a sample to Blackstone and they said it was perfectly fine for 12,000 miles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I get used oil analysis on my family's vehicles occasionally and regardless of make and model I consistently get the best results with Pennzoil Platinum. At this point I use that in everything. My daughter's Fiesta calls for 10k mile oil changes and once I didn't catch up with her until there was 12k on the oil so I sent a sample to Blackstone and they said it was perfectly fine for 12,000 miles.
Hi Jon,

Oh shoot! you just que'd the Amzoil pitch.....sigh.... :rolleyes:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
LoneRNGR

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Oh shoot! you just que'd the Amzoil pitch.....sigh....
Okay. I’m the OP. I’m going to let everyone down. I’m using Kirkland Full Synthetic. That’s right. I’m using the Costco brand. It has the same seal on it as Mobile1, Amsoil and Pennsoil.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. I’m the OP. I’m going to let everyone down. I’m using Kirkland Full Synthetic. That’s right. I’m using the Costco brand. It has the same seal on it as Mobile1, Amsoil and Pennsoil.
Hi John,

Me too on the Costco oil....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored