First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired USAF
how long have you left it in? mine can sometimes take a few minutes before it seems to notice and do something. unlike some, I suggest just taking a nice long drive in the country with updating happening as a side project rather than sitting and staring at it and driving yourself nuts--even if the update doesn't happen, at least you had a nice drive!
I left my USB plugged in for about 30 minutes. Just walked away and let do its thing. Came back and my screen said to remove the USB and that everything was updated.
Sponsored

OneHighFocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Q60
Tried searching through the thread but didn’t see anything about Apple CarPlay not showing up after updating to 3.4 from 3.3
The Update seems to be successful and I see the CarPlay options in the settings menu however when I plug in my phone the CarPlay icon does not appear at the bottom of the screen. I still have all USB accessible functions, iTunes music access and such just no CarPlay.

Any ideas?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Tried searching through the thread but didn’t see anything about Apple CarPlay not showing up after updating to 3.4 from 3.3
The Update seems to be successful and I see the CarPlay options in the settings menu however when I plug in my phone the CarPlay icon does not appear at the bottom of the screen. I still have all USB accessible functions, iTunes music access and such just no CarPlay.

Any ideas?
Did you turn on or allow car play in settings.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger

Any ideas?
Mine does that sometimes where it glitches out. I have to unplug the phone or reset the head unit. Seems for me the update is more buggy than the previous version. I also sometimes get music playing with a black screen. Touch functions still work, it's just that the screen is not on.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I got the black screen pretty frequently after the initial update.

Now it rarely happens, I actually can't remember the last time it happened.

When it was happening, I pressed the Home button on the steering wheel and then I could go back to normal operation.

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I've also been seeing a totally blank screen from time to time. I reboot the SYNC system (hold power+FF) and my phone.

Upgrading didn't cause me to lose CarPlay. If anything, my cabled iPhone experience is now better since I no longer get constant pop-ups telling me to "attach a device" or whatever.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I don't see a totally black screen, what I get is only the Nav screen no matter what I do, and it's just the map and no other screen icons... I have to do the reset to have it reboot and reconnect to my phone. I can't remember 3.3 ever having any problem... 3.4 has had this same issue for me a handful of times since the upgrade.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
One thing that is irritating for me. Everytime I turn it off, it defaults to the radio. However my USB is still playing, then when I try to do anything with the USB it changes the radio station and starts playing that. I have to select the Radio station in sources then hit USB for it to work. IM not sure if its a setting or my USB or something else.

OneHighFocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Q60
Did you turn on or allow car play in settings.
Yes, all the setting were there in the settings menu and I had tried turning CarPlay off and back on with no change...

*UPDATE* THE NEXT DAY ALL SEEMS TO BE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. ??‍♂

Well, Aside from my iTunes music occasionally not loading/opening playlists and Pandora also not loading stations for some reason.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Yes, all the setting were there in the settings menu and I had tried turning CarPlay off and back on with no change...

*UPDATE* THE NEXT DAY ALL SEEMS TO BE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. ??‍♂

Well, Aside from my iTunes music occasionally not loading/opening playlists and Pandora also not loading stations for some reason.
If it happens again, you could try "forgetting" the phone in Sync and forgetting the truck in the CarPlay settings on your iPhone. That would force both devices to re-establish the trust relationship which might solve the issue.

wintech

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Passport
I upgraded to 3.4 hoping it would make apple carplay work better. Not only did I lose the climate settings, Apple Carplay is even worse now. The main issue I was having was that in Amazon Music, if I displayed by artist, if I had more than one album downloaded, only one album would show up most of the time. Sometimes all would show up sometimes not. The other issue was the random 'prompt volume' that would come up and not allow you to control the music volume. I have found the only way to fix that is to turn the vehicle off and wait a few minutes. Once it happens I cannot control audio volume for anything, FM, carplay or Sirius. All those issues still exist but now it is a crapshoot if it even works at all. It is like the USB ports aren't even active. Most of the time I will plug in my phone and not only will it not activate apple carplay, but it wont even charge the phone. Yesterday it was 20 minutes into a drive before the phone started charging and apple carplay was available. Another issue that happens is that sometimes my phone will get so hot while using carplay, it shuts down. This happened with my iPhone 11 and still happens with my iPhone 12 pro (although it hasn't shut down yet, it does get super hot to the touch). It is very frustrating because I absolutely love everything else about this truck. I am hoping the next update fixes these issues in addition to climate but I am not holding my breath.
Just an update to part of this problem. Sync still kinda sucks overall but I think I fixed the phone not recognized issue. Sometimes I would be driving for 10 or 15 minutes before it would show the phone charging and then carplay comes up. Anyway, I googled the issues and came across threads where people were replacing their usb ports in order to add carplay to Fusions and f-150's that didn't have it. So I thought my problem seemed like intermittent problems with the ports themselves. So rather than taking it to ford and have them tell me they can't reproduce the problem, I took a chance and spent $50 for a replacement usb port module. Put it in last night and so far every time I have started the truck, carplay comes right up. I am now using a cplay2air for wireless carplay which I already knew worked because I tried it in our Honda Passport with no issues. If anyone is looking to add wireless carplay this one works great. It also kind of explains the issue where not all artists or albums showing up. If the USB ports are intermittent, then getting that info from the phone would be problematic. I have been updating sync with syn3 updater chasing this problem with no results. Currently running 3.4.21020 which seems to have introduced a problem with sirius where the audio just stops. If I go to FM and then try to go back to sirius, it just won't change the source. I can tap the sirius button on the screen and nothing happens. If I give up, usually next time I start the truck after it has sat for awhile it works. Otherwise rebooting sync is the only thing fixes it. Anyway, if you are having the issue where the system doesn't acknowledge the phone is even plugged in, try replacing the USB port module. The part number is HC3Z19A387E.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Just an update to part of this problem. Sync still kinda sucks overall but I think I fixed the phone not recognized issue. Sometimes I would be driving for 10 or 15 minutes before it would show the phone charging and then carplay comes up. Anyway, I googled the issues and came across threads where people were replacing their usb ports in order to add carplay to Fusions and f-150's that didn't have it. So I thought my problem seemed like intermittent problems with the ports themselves. So rather than taking it to ford and have them tell me they can't reproduce the problem, I took a chance and spent $50 for a replacement usb port module. Put it in last night and so far every time I have started the truck, carplay comes right up. I am now using a cplay2air for wireless carplay which I already knew worked because I tried it in our Honda Passport with no issues. If anyone is looking to add wireless carplay this one works great. It also kind of explains the issue where not all artists or albums showing up. If the USB ports are intermittent, then getting that info from the phone would be problematic. I have been updating sync with syn3 updater chasing this problem with no results. Currently running 3.4.21020 which seems to have introduced a problem with sirius where the audio just stops. If I go to FM and then try to go back to sirius, it just won't change the source. I can tap the sirius button on the screen and nothing happens. If I give up, usually next time I start the truck after it has sat for awhile it works. Otherwise rebooting sync is the only thing fixes it. Anyway, if you are having the issue where the system doesn't acknowledge the phone is even plugged in, try replacing the USB port module. The part number is HC3Z19A387E.
Cable quality was a common issue with Android Auto. Had you tried other cables before replacing the ports?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Yes, so many cables. Brand new apple brand cables, to nice quality off brand braided cables.
Interesting.. maybe some faulty ports out in the wild then I guess
Sponsored