I'm addicted to 'S'......

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Yes, I feel the double shift you are talking about.
Same here. My fusion would pull straight down into sport but the ranger required me to let off the button on D then push the button again and pull it into sport.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Love the S mode...tried D to see if I got better milage but no dramatic change...D feels lazy, pedal mushy...back to S only:like:
Wait... so you get in and pull the shifter all the way back... and just drive it all the time in "Sport" mode?

I wonder if that will lead to premature transmission issues?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Wait... so you get in and pull the shifter all the way back... and just drive it all the time in "Sport" mode?

I wonder if that will lead to premature transmission issues?
If it does, then Ford royally screwed up by making this option available for us risk takers...seriously, it won't harm anything except your MPG due to induced fun adage :)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If it does, then Ford royally screwed up by making this option available for us risk takers...seriously, it won't harm anything except your MPG due to induced fun adage :)
I'm with this guy ^^^ I'm more interested in MFPG... More Fun Per Gallon.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I havenā€™t tried Sport mode yet... now Iā€™m excited to! I may hold off a little until sheā€™s broken in cause I know how Iā€™ll drive it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t tried Sport mode yet... now Iā€™m excited to! I may hold off a little until sheā€™s broken in cause I know how Iā€™ll drive it.
Hi Adam,

Here in AZ...they say you have to learn to saddle your own horse. Good Luck and have fun!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm. Must try Sport mode on my way into work tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your experience.

woodzy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2013 Ford Tauraus
In Sport mode, does any gage show the gear you are in. I know if you sift with the +/- buttons, it shows the gear on the left display, but if let in auto shift in sport I do not see it displayed anywhere.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
In Sport mode, does any gage show the gear you are in. I know if you sift with the +/- buttons, it shows the gear on the left display, but if let in auto shift in sport I do not see it displayed anywhere.
No. You lose the gear display.

If you press the + - you are now in manual mode and will have to shift by pressing the + - buttons. If you put in "S" mode and DON'T press the + - , you are in automatic mode and the transmission shifts automatically. Remember, Sport mode will hold the gears a lot longer reving higher.

In any case, Sport mode is FUN!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So I played with it a little bit yesterday - I think I know how I got it in manual mode last time- I always like to see the gear display and when I put it in S, that disappears. Pressing + won't bring it back. The only way I found to display a gear was when I put it in manual mode and brought up the digital tach (Lariat) and it would display the gear number you were in near the tach.

Is there a way to see the "normal" gear display in sport mode?

I did kind of like how responsive it was - just not sure what it will/would do to mileage. I may try driving in it for a bit to see how it affects mileage longer term. Maybe try a whole tank in sport mode to see how it compares. My last several tanks have been in the 20-21 MPG range pretty consistently.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
So I played with it a little bit yesterday - I think I know how I got it in manual mode last time- I always like to see the gear display and when I put it in S, that disappears. Pressing + won't bring it back. The only way I found to display a gear was when I put it in manual mode and brought up the digital tach (Lariat) and it would display the gear number you were in near the tach.

Is there a way to see the "normal" gear display in sport mode?

I did kind of like how responsive it was - just not sure what it will/would do to mileage. I may try driving in it for a bit to see how it affects mileage longer term. Maybe try a whole tank in sport mode to see how it compares. My last several tanks have been in the 20-21 MPG range pretty consistently.
My experience - You won't see a substantial drop.

Drive Mode vs. Sport mode I've noticed a 0.4 mpg average difference.... with similar driving styles (I'm heavy footed).

Now, if I go super light, the MPGs climb, but it's a driving style not a driving mode difference.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I like S mode. The D mode feels like I am generally always overgeared or running too low rpm for which gear it is in. I suppose it is better for gas mileage but I feel it is the engine lugging. I am still under 1000 original miles and as long as I let the brain do the trans gear picking as in D or S I feel like I am not doing any hard as it is letting it run via the program, not me.

Reactions: Doc

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
@Polar Bear Thanks for posting this!!! WOW what an impressive difference. I thought this truck was a blast to drive before I tried S. But now words can describe how awesome it drives in Sport mode. On my way to work, I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time and that was going to work!!! Can't wait for the drive home!!! I will report back on the mileage difference but I didn't see any initial drastic reductions in my initial foray.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
@Polar Bear Thanks for posting this!!! WOW what an impressive difference. I thought this truck was a blast to drive before I tried S. But now words can describe how awesome it drives in Sport mode. On my way to work, I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time and that was going to work!!! Can't wait for the drive home!!! I will report back on the mileage difference but I didn't see any initial drastic reductions in my initial foray.
My pleasure! It's a game changer!
Sponsored