First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
We have just all witnessed the formation of a new strain of PTSD!
Now that one right there made me laugh Nick. Thanks, I needed that.........:)
Sponsored

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
the problem isn't that people are putting on a damper it is that they are not putting on enough dampers. A study by the institute of up/down determined that 3 is the minimum number of dampers to prevent squeaking

wickkid

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor Edition
Occupation
Engineer
My DeeZee tailgate assist shock has decided to bellow like a wounded ox every time I lower the tailgate.

It's still under warranty but since I purchased it online, I'll have to dig through my CC transactions and see if I can find when and where I bought it.

I'm definitely going to simply remove it for the near term and then search my transactions when I have time to waste on that.

Here's hoping that my arms haven't atrophied away to the point where I can no longer catch that heavy tailgate descending at the speed of gravity. :muscle:

EDIT: See post #11 if you need to spare yourself from digital trauma due to impending damper withdrawal.
Check the plastic inserts in the tailgate hinges. I thought my damper failed making the same sound. Shot some silicon spray in the hinge and it shut up for a couple days. Pulled the gate and greased the inserts, problem gone!

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Check the plastic inserts in the tailgate hinges. I thought my damper failed making the same sound. Shot some silicon spray in the hinge and it shut up for a couple days. Pulled the gate and greased the inserts, problem gone!
It's resolved.

It was indeed the bushings.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: