Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I must admit, initially I thought 'S' or sport mode would be too aggressive for everyday driving. I worried it would facilitate wear and tear and lead to an introduction with Mr. Traffic Cop etc etc...

Well, I've found I love it for every day driving, on the highway, and everything in between. With 'normal' driving it just feels right and when my testosterone takes over it just feels great!

.....I'm sure I'll meet Mr. Traffic Cop at some point!!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
For me, it stays in 8th gear too much, I've only seen it shift above it one time while in S.

That for me translates into lots more revs, and lost mpg. However, I do like the feel, and use it frequently to turn off start/stop when I'm turning out onto a busy road (eliminate the start delay so I don't get run into).

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
For me, it stays in 8th gear too much, I've only seen it shift above it one time while in S.

That for me translates into lots more revs, and lost mpg. However, I do like the feel, and use it frequently to turn off start/stop when I'm turning out onto a busy road (eliminate the start delay so I don't get run into).
I ran a test today at 70mph on as flat of sections of the Florida Turnpike as I could find.

Now, these MPGs were fluctuating. +- 2mpg depending on bumps etc. so I tried to pick numbers that seemed to be not the highest but the most common I saw during my short testing.

6th gear - 3750 RPM - 24 MPG
7th gear - 2900 RPM - 28 MPG
8th gear - 2500 RPM - 29 MPG
9th gear - 2100 RPM - 30 MPG
10th gear - 1900 RPM - 31 MPG

I did this test mainly because I read that 4th high (I dont have 4x4 btw) was 1:1 and 7th gear was 1:1 so wanted to see what kind of MPG's you'd lose if you sat in 7th for a while.

Honestly, 8th seemed the most stable in my test... going up and down overpasses it would drop to 20mpg and up to 48mpg (up vs down).

In 10th, it seemed like it would drop to 18mpg and only go up to 49 mpg on the downhill section.

Also, 8th seemed to not bounce the MPGs as much when driving flat. 28,29,28,28,28,29,29,30,29.
As opposed to 10th which seemed all over the place with each minor change. 31,26,28,32,26,31,30,29,31,32,27.

It kinda made me change my tune on Sport mode. As I initially felt that the MPG drop would be substantial on the highway and was avoiding using it there... but I prefer S almost always.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I must admit, initially I thought 'S' or sport mode would be too aggressive for everyday driving. I worried it would facilitate wear and tear and lead to an introduction with Mr. Traffic Cop etc etc...

Well, I've found I love it for every day driving, on the highway, and everything in between. With 'normal' driving it just feels right and when my testosterone takes over it just feels great!

.....I'm sure I'll meet Mr. Traffic Cop at some point!!
One question, do you have to double-shift to get it into S?

Seems like I have to put it into Drive then press the button again and pull it back into S.

But yes, this is the first vehicle where SPORT is actually a noticeable difference and I love that it holds gears and doesn't jump from 10th to 7th just because I lightly press the gas to accelerate.

It's become my favorite way to drive.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
This is all interesting and, SN13, thanks for the FE data in different gears.

On your downhill portions when the FE jumped to the high 40's, was your foot completely off the pedal? If so the fuel should be 'off' so it makes sense that the number is similar.

Just as an FYI, if anyone is trying to boost their fuel economy (FE) don't shift to neutral coasting to a red light. Let it costdown in drive because the fuel is off as opposed to idle when in N.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is all interesting and, SN13, thanks for the FE data in different gears.

On your downhill portions when the FE jumped to the high 40's, was your foot completely off the pedal? If so the fuel should be 'off' so it makes sense that the number is similar.

Just as an FYI, if anyone is trying to boost their fuel economy (FE) don't shift to neutral coasting to a red light. Let it costdown in drive because the fuel is off as opposed to idle when in N.
I set the Cruise Control and let the car handle everything. That way it was ALWAYS the same speed it was trying to maintain.

The High-40s downhill was the car maintaining speed instead of coasting... when I physically press the gas/release downhill it jumps to 99 ;)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I set the Cruise Control and let the car handle everything. That way it was ALWAYS the same speed it was trying to maintain.

BUT ... Try that going down a really steep hill. The cruise control down shifts until the motor is screaming at 4,000 RPM then just sits there and screams until it gets to the bottom of the hill. I live in the Rocky Mountains and use sport mode for this type of engine braking. Pull the truck into sport mode and downshift 1 gear, then maintain a RPM of 3,000 or less, using the transmission and the brake together.

Try it.. it's pretty slick.

John

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BUT ... Try that going down a really steep hill. The cruise control down shifts until the motor is screaming at 4,000 RPM then just sits there and screams until it gets to the bottom of the hill. I live in the Rocky Mountains and use sport mode for this type of engine braking. Pull the truck into sport mode and downshift 1 gear, then maintain a RPM of 3,000 or less, using the transmission and the brake together.

Try it.. it's pretty slick.

John
I do the engine breaking too when I'm in light traffic and coming up to a long deceleration lane.

I enjoy control over the gears, and initially only used "S" as a thumb-shift version of manual.... then I tried the "S" in auto and was floored at how good it was.

Also, the "Cruise Control" was used for the testing of Fuel Efficiency numbers only.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So I haven't messed with Sport too much - how do you choose between Auto and manual mode in Sport? I remember trying it once where it shifted automatically and then again it didn't, but I wasn't sure what was different (and I haven't really looked in the manual to find out, either).

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I haven't messed with Sport too much - how do you choose between Auto and manual mode in Sport? I remember trying it once where it shifted automatically and then again it didn't, but I wasn't sure what was different (and I haven't really looked in the manual to find out, either).
My experience:

If you engage "S" and don't manually click the gears, it's in AUTO.
If you engage "S" and then thumb through the gears (+ -) you are in MANUAL.

To re-engage AUTO once you've entered Manual you have to cycle the gears upward until your screen shows a BLANK instead of 8/8 or 10/10.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My experience:

To re-engage AUTO once you've entered Manual you have to cycle the gears upward until your screen shows a BLANK instead of 8/8 or 10/10.

Maybe that was it - I typically turn on the gear display using the + on the shifter. Maybe I did that after selecting sport mode. I will experiment some more.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My experience:

Almost on the re-engaging auto.

Just hold + for a few seconds and it goes back to S-Auto.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Love the S mode...tried D to see if I got better milage but no dramatic change...D feels lazy, pedal mushy...back to S only:like:

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Love the S mode...tried D to see if I got better milage but no dramatic change...D feels lazy, pedal mushy...back to S only:like:
It's Lazy and it Hunts ALOT. But if I was a light-foot MPG maximizer, I'd probably only use D....

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
One question, do you have to double-shift to get it into S?

Seems like I have to put it into Drive then press the button again and pull it back into S.

But yes, this is the first vehicle where SPORT is actually a noticeable difference and I love that it holds gears and doesn't jump from 10th to 7th just because I lightly press the gas to accelerate.

It's become my favorite way to drive.
Yes, I feel the double shift you are talking about.
Sponsored