If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
No problems, issues complaints. Well, yes there is. Dash board controls, switches and locations.
This is where the imports shine and domestic vehicles rather suck at it.
Grass ain't always greener. You could have a Corolla like dash in a Taco.
1623936272569.png
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I did a tremendous amount of research before buying, shuffling through a lot of pro's and con's. Talking to people who had some insight. One thing I keep in mind is that the new vehicles continue to increase with electronic features and this is going to bring some glitches, but if they are not significant, I can live with that.

I have owned a large variety of different styles and types of vehicles (including Trucks), American, European, Asian. I bought the Ranger while it was still in production at the factory and was able to get it for 9.5% off MSRP (during the Covid crises) and the dealer threw in a paint sealant protection package on top of that.

Just upgraded to BFG K02's (265/70/17) and really like them.

My previous vehicle happened to be a 2011 Ranger which was outstanding in every way...one of the factors that moved me toward getting the current one. Overall, very satisfied with the Truck. I would buy another 5g Ranger in a heartbeat!

Here is one reference on Ranger quality that is encouraging: 2020 Ford Ranger Review | Expert Reviews | J.D. Power (jdpower.com)

Side.jpg

Front Angle.jpg

Smith Ford 3.jpg

Last edited:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to be the guy who says no, at this point I would not have gotten a ranger.

1. I no longer drive 100+ miles to the office and back.
2. I now have a fairly large camper.

I could have gotten into a 2 year old well equipped super duty diesel for what I paid for the ranger and that would be a much better truck for me.

I’m also very disappointed with the paint quality on my truck, it’s literally falling off in places showing bare primer. Dealer says meh, you use it like a truck.
Seems like your needs for what you originally purchased it for changed.
I would ride Ford's ass on the paint thing. No excuses for that to be happening even if you have some "you use it like a truck" love taps on her.

Cpore55

First Name
CJ Pore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Inventory planner- Meat solutions
Yes, would buy again,
only regret is I bought an XTL Tremor and I wish i got a Lariat Tremor.
not that anything is wrong with the XTL but I now realize ill have this truck a long time, because i love it and should have went all in.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Yup.

Looked at Colorado ZR2, Tacoma, didn't consider Frontier as I had a 2018 Pro4X that was a POS and didn't seriously look at Gladiator as I had a new 2017 Wrangler and that was enough Fiat for me.

Best all around mid size out there right now but I honestly wish it was a bit smaller.

Going to really look at the Maverick and Santa Cruz when they are available.
Yeah I think Ford is gonna have a hit on their hands with the Maverick

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, would buy again,
only regret is I bought an XTL Tremor and I wish i got a Lariat Tremor.
not that anything is wrong with the XTL but I now realize ill have this truck a long time, because i love it and should have went all in.
I wondered about that because I went from a '20 501A Lariat FX4 to the '21 XLT Tremor with Tech pkg and tow. To be honest there is only 1 feature I miss and that's the push button/keyless touch fob thing or whatever they call it and I've overcome it after 2 months. One nice thing about not having it is when you exit the truck while it is running the horn doesn't honk which used to make me jump out of my skin.

XLT_TREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Tremor
To be honest there is only 1 feature I miss and that's the push button/keyless touch fob thing or whatever they call it and I've overcome it after 2 months.
My Tremor is optioned like yours, and I also would have liked the other fob and gladly paid the $200 or whatever for it. But now I’m beginning to think I’d miss the Stiletto Key!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?
I bought my Lariat FX-4 in Dec.

*Yes, except I would not purchase a new vehicle in this current market. It has been a very enjoyable truck so far.

*N/A

*No real problems. Disappointments would be the light, tinny sounding doors and the FX-4 suspension's tendency to wallow.

*No

*Same trucks as you

*ZR-2 pros were offroad capability and price point, they were heavily incentivized when I was shopping. Cons were poor powertrain choices, no available LED headlights, intelligent access, or push button start, and Chevrolet quality.

Taco pros were Toyota quality, proven package, and aftermarket support. Cons were ergonomics, powertrain, and cost.

I don't exclusively buy Fords. But I lean that way. Half of our four family vehicles wear a blue oval. That being said I gave the Bison and TRD Pro a fighting chance, they just couldn't hang. And the ZR-2 refresh is hideous.

Test drive them all.

Cpore55

First Name
CJ Pore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Inventory planner- Meat solutions
For me, its the headlights, mirrors and heated seats id want

I wondered about that because I went from a '20 501A Lariat FX4 to the '21 XLT Tremor with Tech pkg and tow. To be honest there is only 1 feature I miss and that's the push button/keyless touch fob thing or whatever they call it and I've overcome it after 2 months. One nice thing about not having it is when you exit the truck while it is running the horn doesn't honk which used to make me jump out of my skin.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But now I’m beginning to think I’d miss the Stiletto Key!
Makes you feel like you are the guy in the 80s movie with the black leather jacket and pants with the slicked back hair lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on your next victim.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot about the headlights since I hardly ever drive at night and have yet to in the 2 months I've owned the truck. Will say the 3 LED lights I added to the grille look better with the amber parking lights than they did with the LED DRLs.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Heated seats are a must. But are also easy/cheap enough to add aftermarket.

LED headlights are a must, but the Alpha Rexs are nice and I'm sure the Morimotos will be too.

Not sure what you mean by the mirrors. BLISS? The way Ford implements it is kind of hokey.

Intelligent access/push button start is nice, but I'd probably get used to it like you for the right deal.
Sponsored